Sign in to follow this  
Pmac

E90 335i (Revamp Running Gear)

Hey All, - This is my first post but thought I'd jump right in.

I bought a 2010 E90 335i from BMW prestige Auckland about a year ago. Now I'll be honest, it was an impulse buy and given I have a strong background in Subaru's buying Eurpoean was never really the plan. However it came with NZ GPS a 3 year motor warranty so decided to take the jump.  One year later and most of my running gear needs an overhaul its done 110,000km's, BMW has been kind enough to do it all for about $4,500. 

What I would really appreciate is for suggestions on the best replacement parts either aftermarket or Ex BMW and where to get them in NZ (ALK). I am hoping to do all the below for under $1k (I have good experience with automotive work so installation isn't a concern).

The items below are the items I need to replace: 

1) Replace front left shock [leaking]   (Should I replace the whole lot with aftermarket?) 

2) Replace Front Pads & Disc's (Best setup for low dust?)

3) Replace Rear Pads & Disc's (Best setup for low dust?)

Thanks heaps for the help.

Pete

Overhauled my brakes recently. I got RDA slotted/dimpled rotors, ordered from empoweredautoparts.com.au

Plain rotors are fine too, but you can get even better deals for some Zimmerman or Brembo blanks, FCPEuro had decent prices last I checked. 

Then I bought EBC Redstuff pads off some random Ebay seller because they were really cheap. They're a good mix of performance and low dust. Some local brake part suppliers stock them too, prices vary. 

I've heard Hawk HPS 5.0 are excellent too, more on the performance side I think so I'd expect more dust. More expensive too. 

My setup works pretty well for me, handles regular driving nicely, no squeak and nice brake feel, a faint helicopter noise from the slotted rotors when driving near a wall or parked cars with the windows down. Handles my aggressive back-road driving sessions well and don't get too much dust to clean. 

Edited by Matth5
  • Like 1

I run RDA slotted dimpled rotors and Hawk HPS pads on my E46. They work well as an everyday setup but have very good fade resistance. Trying Stoptech pads on my 335i. 

• Like 1

Just be ready to clean your wheels very often if you go for the hawks. I run them as a track pad only and usually switch to TRW for daily driving. Feel that the hawks are overkill otherwise

I clean the wheels once a week along with the car so no big deal, I have had the Hawks for a year now and they are not overly dusty, not really much worse than factory BMW pads. this may change when you track them of course.