Sign in to follow this  
Gabe79

E39 M54 Alternator top bolt 'stuck'

Working on my alternator to get to the oil filter housing gasket. Bottom bolt removed no problem, but top bolt is now spinning in place, having been extracted probably 2 inches now. Is this a case of WD40 and prayer? Seems so simple, but it won't budge either in or out, while at the same time being loose enough I can spin it with my fingers.

Ideas? Suggestions?

44 minutes ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

Can you get another bolt in behind it and use it to punch it through?

The weight of the alternator pulling down on that one bolt isn't making it all bind up, is it?

The space behind where that bolt goes is quite tight, and not helping, the space in front is quite tight because of the fan. I might just suck it up and remove the fan too. In for a penny, in for a pound and all that...

I don't think it's the weight, although I did read about using a prybar to gently dislodge it. I'll try that today, kid-wife-willing.

Oh crikey, yes get rid of the fan. If it hasn't been removed in a while you may be in for another frustrating job though... make sure it goes back on with some Copper-Cote or other grease.

Just pulled out the bolt you are referring to, it's 150mm long so removing the fan will be a big help

and the fan is LEFT HAND THREAD.

Don't sit there for 20 minutes trying to tighten it!

Big spanner, tap with a hammer - don't wedge the pulley - it's most likely plastic!

Edited by Allanw
  • Like 2

Got it out easy with pliers and a rubber mallet.

Thank you all. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Allanw said:

and the fan is LEFT HAND THREAD.

Don't sit there for 20 minutes trying to tighten it!

Big spanner, tap with a hammer - don't wedge the pulley - it's most likely plastic!

I haven't touched the fan at all, yet!

I did manage to break my alternator positive cable. I didn't realize how tightly on the bolt was and it snapped the positive cable. I still can't separate the bolt from the nut. Will see if I can get a vice, or vice grips to do it.