Sign in to follow this  
HardBall66

Compatible donor cars for E39 manual conversion

Hi all, I'd like to do a manual conversion on my E39 Touring.  I want to do as much of the work as possible myself (should be fun and educational, right?) and I'm on a budget so I was looking to pick up a manual parts car - perhaps something on TradeMe or Turners with a blown head gasket.  

My question is: Which models would allow me to swap a manual gearbox straight into my E39 with little or no modification?  

I appreciate there will be some re-coding involved (I have the kit to do that myself), and there will be other factors such as diff ratios, driveshaft, etc.  I see quite a few manual 316/ 318s around, but I assume they wouldn't handle the power - anyway I'd like to know which donor cars to keep a lookout for as a start.  Any info would be much appreciated.  Cheers.

Edited by HardBall66
  • Like 1

Sorry Matt, I cannot help with advise, but I do wish you all the best in your project. I'm just very glad that my BMW's manual conversion is completed. :)

6 or 8 cyl ? What model and year have you got 

6 hours ago, BM WORLD said:

6 or 8 cyl ? What model and year have you got 

Hi Brent - 1997 528i Touring.  Cheers.

6 hours ago, viskop said:

Sorry Matt, I cannot help with advise, but I do wish you all the best in your project. I'm just very glad that my BMW's manual conversion is completed. :)

Thanks Charl - yes, I'll look forward to enjoying it as much as you do!

• Like 1

Spend some time in the parts catalog bmw fans or real com this may help it appears the box is  a s5d 320z thch and is used in the 328 as well as the m52 engine.

Thanks guys, so 328 (i assume E46? How about E36?)  Any other models that might bolt pretty-much straight on?  Z3?  330? Cheers..     

you can use a zf or getrag box off pretty much any m50 m52 m54 s54 s50 m44 m43 m42 etc , but you will need e39 parts for all else

gearlvers and shifter parts , pedal box ,

crossmember

driveshaft can be modified

so can the gearlever shifter rods .

flywheel and clutch just needs to be string enough for a 2.8L

4cyl clutches will work but slip , so need to get modified or buy a proformance kit etc

• Like 1

That's awesome, thanks Brent - I'll start collecting the E-39-specific parts while I'm on the lookout for a manual parts car with one of the engines you listed above.  Cheers.

• Like 1

You could almost buy a manual E39 in the US and ship it to NZ.  Only issue would be the pedal box.  No doubt different.

They are pretty common here.  And not worth much.

you just buy new pedals etc , not that dare new

We have pedal sets etc. @ Hellbm

Thanks Ray, sounds like I can access everything I need.