Sign in to follow this  
Funkyflynz

Valve adjustment - E46 M3

Looking to do my service 2 inspection including the valve adjustment, while im in there I will also check the Vanos and maybe replace the oil pump disk and cam bolts.

Anyways if valve adjustments are required this is done with shims, a shim kit is $500-700 and you may only end up using a couple.  In the UK and US they have loaner kits that you can rent, has anyone come across anything like this here in New Zealand? 

My other option is to check first then order the new shims - and wait for the new ones to arrive.

Cheers

Hi Lee

I have not heard of anyone offering a loaner kit, great idea.

I checked my E36m3 valve clearances late last year with the idea of ordering just what I required rather than a full set. Luckily all mine were within tolerances.

What I did buy for next time was a temporary shim kit, metal disks the same diameter as shims. So I could remove the existing shims use the metal disks to fill the vacant spots

Allowing me to select which existing shims fit best at each location and still turn the motor over by hand.  

Hope that makes sense as it maybe an option for you

Good luck

Mark 

Edited by sweetm3
  • Like 1

Interesting, thanks for that, where did you get temporary shim kit from?  can you actually run the car with them?

22 minutes ago, Funkyflynz said:

Interesting, thanks for that, where did you get temporary shim kit from?  can you actually run the car with them?

The fake/temporary kit was from Ireland.

"can you actually run the car with them?"  No mate 

With my E36 the shims are stamped with a size on the underside of the shims, so you have to remove a shim to see what size that shim is.

This kit will allow me once I have checked and noted all the clearances, to remove an out of tolerance or a boarder line shim, slip in a temp shim turn the motor over by hand to release a shim that would fit better/come within spec

So I get to the point where the existing shims tolerances are well with in spec and I can order the remaining out of tolerance one's I need.

But as you said the car will be off the road while you wait for your order to arrive. 

Edited by sweetm3

Lee

Was talking with the local service manager how was saying that often shimming isn't always required on the e46 m3 on inspection II.

Sure enough, mine was checked and found to be within spec at about 110,000 km. You may end up finding the same.

9 hours ago, Neal said:

Lee

Was talking with the local service manager how was saying that often shimming isn't always required on the e46 m3 on inspection II.

Sure enough, mine was checked and found to be within spec at about 110,000 km. You may end up finding the same.

Im hoping thats the case, but as i will be replacing the head cover gasket I'm going to check them while I'm there just to be safe.  Mine has done nearly 150,000km.  Thanks for the reply, appreciate it.

I have a full shim kit.   Let me know what size you need.   I can send them pretty quickly so your car is not out of action.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, FIAT 131R said:

I have a full shim kit.   Let me know what size you need.   I can send them pretty quickly so your car is not out of action.

Awesome!  thanks for that, really appreciate it.  Wont be for another couple of months yet.