Sign in to follow this  
Funkyflynz

SUXG4S - E46 M3

In case you are thinking about installing one of these race shifters heres an 8min clip showing some of the issues i had... 

• Like 2

nice fab work, Lee!  great work.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Olaf said:

nice fab work, Lee!  great work.

Cheers Richard, the new base was fully welded, primed and painted prior to the final install just incase you thought i dropped it in looking like that ;-)

Replaced the transmission mounts while i was at it with some Rogue Engineering items, they are suppose to be firmer than stock M3 so hopefully they help firm things up.  I didn't go with race style solid or extra firm ones as i don't want to increase the noise or vibration inside the cabin.  2min video showing a simple press test... 

29 minutes ago, Funkyflynz said:

Cheers Richard, the new base was fully welded, primed and painted prior to the final install just incase you thought i dropped it in looking like that ;-)

I expected nothing less #8 )    Do you have a press brake and guillotine in that workshop too?  Tidy beads, looks trick. :)

22 hours ago, Olaf said:

I expected nothing less #8 )    Do you have a press brake and guillotine in that workshop too?  Tidy beads, looks trick. :)

Unfortunately no room for anything like that mate, I'm fully tapped out regards room in the shed :-( Angle grinder and file suffice. 

Edited by Funkyflynz

For those who are interested posted a review of the Samsonas shifter, part 1 - around town.  

• Like 4

On 8/4/2017 at 8:05 PM, qube said:

"im not a fan of her driving this car away.. :ph34r:"

Hahaha, its an honest review.

• Like 1

nice work, Lee.  Hell, I was looking for the heel-and-toe view, and some double de-clutch action!  Looks like an awesome experience.

What was the quote?  "If you want to do better business, you need a better business stick"  Outstanding.

9 hours ago, Olaf said:

nice work, Lee.  Hell, I was looking for the heel-and-toe view, and some double de-clutch action!  Looks like an awesome experience.

What was the quote?  "If you want to do better business, you need a better business stick"  Outstanding.

Sorry to disappoint mate, heal/toe is a work in progress, didn't want to embarrass myself ;-)

• Like 1

Great day for a drive in the Naki today, so headed out to Whanga to stretch the legs. Always wanted a shot with these old garages.IMG_5098.thumb.JPG.369e6526aeb74e7f4449896c12b117ba.JPG

fullsizeoutput_6e08.jpeg

Edited by Funkyflynz
  • Like 2

Cat delete!  

I have been tossing up when to do this, and now that i have the ability to code out cat enrichment and protection i decided it was time to get rid of them.  Its certainly a lot louder, obnoxious resonation at 2.5k too.  Think i might need another x-pipe to help with that.  

Will post about the coding later.

IMG_5231.thumb.JPG.3a7917522f08a2d50ccce2b2ec7a3906.JPG

• Like 1

With my 335i I purchased a pair of Vibrant resonators to tone down the added rasp and volume from the catless downpipe. Haven't put them on yet, booked in with an exhaust shop to weld them in on Tuesday. I've seen others online report very good results. Might work well for your car too. 

Just now, Matth5 said:

With my 335i I purchased a pair of Vibrant resonators to tone down the added rasp and volume from the catless downpipe. Haven't put them on yet, booked in with an exhaust shop to weld them in on Tuesday. I've seen others online report very good results. Might work well for your car too. 

Good stuff, where did you source them from, price?  2.5"?

40 minutes ago, Matth5 said:

Vibrant 1792. 2.5inch yes. 
I probably should have bought 1790 for my car (2.25) but I think they can make it work... 

Bought them off Amazon, good price I think
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E3VHVO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You don't want to sell your do you?  you can then get the 2.25" ;-)

I think it'll fit fine but if I get to the shop on Tuesday and they complain it won't fit well, then yes this could be a good idea.

I prob would have left the cats in if they weren't damaged. 

Should put it on the dyno, likely lost some power given the exhaust on those is tuned from headers to tail pipes.  

Technical info on E46 M3 stock exhaus:

Due to the largely throttle-free exhaust pipes and generous dimensioning of the catalytic converters and silencers, pressure loss has been kept down to 300 mbar at 8000 rpm (in standard operating conditions), which is actually 40 percent better than on the previous model (E36 M3).

Edited by Michael.

There is always the option of gutting the cats and reinstalling them. I've done that before on another car and was slightly louder and no drone.

21 minutes ago, zero said:

There is always the option of gutting the cats and reinstalling them. I've done that before on another car and was slightly louder and no drone.

Then you may as well just fit a section of 5" pipe, as that is all a hollow cat is, tend to sound pretty bad from examples of cars with that done which I've heard. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Michael. said:

I prob would have left the cats in if they weren't damaged. 

Should put it on the dyno, likely lost some power given the exhaust on those is tuned from headers to tail pipes.  

Technical info on E46 M3 stock exhaus:

Its interesting reading about the life span of catalytic convertors, 100k miles, 10 years etc, they don't last forever, and being 15 years old with 100k miles on the clock it was worth thinking about options.  The decider on removing them was the ability via BMWflash to turn off cat protection and cat warm up, basically the car in stock form plays with the fuel mixture to ensure the cats are working correctly, and enable me to run a tune based on no cats. 

The car already has a back box, so the OEM engineered "headers to tail pipes" equations are out the window. 

How "likely" is any loss? As the article you quote mentions - "Pressure loss has been kept down", meaning its still there.  By the time ive had it mapped im pretty confident I will see increases in pwr based on testament from those who have done similar over the years. 

And I've reduced weight by about 7kg :-)

8 hours ago, m325i said:

Video / sound clip? 

I enjoy your content. Thnx

Sorry no sound clip just yet, it was a quick blast in the country then into the garage for some maintenance...  

At close to 100k miles thought it a good time for a valve lash inspection, the motor sounds good i.e no noisy tappet sounds so was hoping everything would be within spec and it was, intakes were all .007-.009 and the exhaust .011-.013.  If anyone wants to borrow my tools and shim set let me know.  The biggest issue was removing the fan, man that thing was on tight and the fan removal tool i brought was bending under the pressure and started to strip the nut, so brought a proper 32mm spanner which did the trick along with some good penetrating lube.  Planning on ditching the mechanical fan for an electric unit as they have been know to disintegrate and destroy radiators, dent the hood etc.  

IMG_5277.JPG

IMG_5260.JPG

• Like 2