Sign in to follow this  
Mikan

New E30 owner, Wellington

Hi all

After my introduction to bmw was cut short by finances and common sense, I have bought something with live plates this time, a 1984 320i.

It looks nice and tidy, and the vendor tells me it has been brought up to a nice condition after a period of storage. 

Driving it home to Wellington from Auckland this weekend - any advice for tools to pack (other than roadside assistance!) or things to check before I set off would be welcome.

Cheers

CJ 

20170503_143618.png

20170503_143654.png

• Like 4

welcome!  that's a pretty tidy looking e30!  If you've got AA membership, consider paying the extra for 'AA PLUS', it'll get you and your car all the way back to Wellington, and to your workshop of choice... in the event of a breakdown.  

Enjoy the journey down, it's a beaut time of the year to be driving down from Auckland.  Nice way to be getting to know your new car, if you're not in a hurry.

PS - do subscribe to the the Wellington meets threads, we've collectively been organising a good number of meets and road trips lately, be good to have you along.

Edited by Olaf
PS
  • Like 1

Thanks Olaf! I'll subscribe now - would be great to come along.

• Like 1

Welcome - Love the E30! 

Good luck with the trip back.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.

Super nice looking E30 you've found yourself.

The Wellington crowd is planning a road trip to drive the Gentle Annie. Would be nice to see your E30 in the mix.

• Like 1

Hiya Christopher and congrats on acquisition of the classic :) Look forward to meeting you soon!

• Like 1

Thanks all, had a great drive down the country yesterday with no traffic and perfect conditions. 

A few things to tidy up - the alternator belt was a bit squeaky, I'm pretty sure the tyres are plastic by this point, and there are a few electrical gremlins. 

Realised the cluster lights weren't working as dusk fell at Turangi, so got through the desert road and taped a pen light to the steering column cowl. 

Other than that, and a memorable incident with the back of the drivers seat collapsing right down on the Auckland motorway, a pretty uneventful trip. 

• Like 3

Are you planning to join us on the roadie, or do you need to sort some stuff before doing another sizable trip? :)

Thanks Matt! 

Pete, I'd love to come on the epic, but although I've sorted quite a bit of deferred maintenance on the car (tyres, fuel lines, a new rad, viscous coupling, various electrical bits) the list of work-ons I have from Jon and Keren at Auto38 is probably a bit too long to be relaxed about a big drive at this point. 

I love this car though, and can't wait til it's properly sorted.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Mikan said:

Thanks Matt! 

Pete, I'd love to come on the epic, but although I've sorted quite a bit of deferred maintenance on the car (tyres, fuel lines, a new rad, viscous coupling, various electrical bits) the list of work-ons I have from Jon and Keren at Auto38 is probably a bit too long to be relaxed about a big drive at this point. 

I love this car though, and can't wait til it's properly sorted.

sound thinking.  you're in good hands, too.  Best you start a showroom or project page!