Sign in to follow this  
Neal

Car pics with plates

So listening to the radio this morning and one of the radio DJs was saying they where contacted by the police.

Turns out some scum bag had seen the licence plate of their car on TV and then written in and changed the ownership of the car and then tired to secure a loan against the car. Police called in to sort ownership.

Anyway , just be mindful when your posting picks of your or your mates cars as anyone can write in or go into a post shop and claim the car as there own and it does happen.

• Like 1

+1, yes it's the odd exception where I've not munged out the rego.  I also like the posting of trip photos in the trip room, at least only logged-in members get access.

Thankfully there are some checks and balances, 10 points for NZTA having some business rules/processes in place, and for NZP following up.  Seems odd that one can actually change ownership without notifications from both parties (the notification of purchase, and the notification of disposal).

• Like 1

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11848982

Yep saw that too. What a moron. 

At the very least, to pull that scam successfully you need to transfer the money overseas and get out of the country.

Can't say I'm too worried, I don't think being online makes much of a difference. You can see cars number plates by standing outside, if you need to know the name of the owner just look at your friends or co-worker's cars. Think you would need to know a few more details, address and owners DOB or driver license number?

Mike Hosking probably has enough of his details on the internet to do this easily, which is why he got targeted. 

• Like 2

If people don't want their plates made public then keep the car locked up where it can't be seen. Forever.

It's silly that this can happen but it's even more silly to suggest the solution is obscuring license plates in photos. If your car is somewhere I can legitimately take a photo of it and you've not obscured your plate then the working assumption is you don't give a toss if anybody can see your plate.

If a mate asked me to obscure their plate in a photo I took and posted online I'd look at them sideways, decline and suggest they came to their senses.

But yeah, it's a bit crazy that this change of ownership thing could even happen, that's a process deficiency.

• Like 1

^^ I appreciate where you're coming from, however, you're overlooking the point of leaking intelligence that allows complete strangers to link a car or registration with your person, which is a large number of steps to the left of the anonymity of a number plate on a car and no clue to whom it belongs.

• Like 1

Agreed @Olaf that's why I'd never post identifiable information about somebody else. 

I'd never hesitate to post a picture with a plate but I wouldn't make it any easier to identify the owner, that wouldn't be on. 

Lol - wouldn't be difficult to suss mine out! :)

• Like 1

Just got myself a blue M3....... kidding . But the current system isn't great really. At least having the old fashioned ownership papers gave another factor for identity. System of ownership needs work.

• Like 1

Or the other way around, when you get something in the mail to rego the car you traded last year... I thought dealers normally did all that paperwork. 

1 hour ago, NZ BMW said:

Or the other way around, when you get something in the mail to rego the car you traded last year... I thought dealers normally did all that paperwork. 

according to the NZTA website, you have an obligation when selling a vehicle "You must let us know immediately when you’ve sold a vehicle."  Further, "If you don’t let us know you’ve sold a vehicle, you could get a fine of up to $1000 as an individual and $5000 if you’re a company. If you sell a vehicle to a motor vehicle trader, they may complete some or all of the notification process on your behalf. However, you should always confirm that the trader has completed this process, for peace of mind."

and when buying a vehicle "The quickest and easiest way to let us know that you’ve bought a vehicle is online. Otherwise you can complete the Notice by person acquiring motor vehicle form (MR13B) at an agent".  If you don't advise NZTA of your acquisition, you could be up for a fine of $1000 as an individual or $5000 for a company, have to pay outstanding rego or RUCs, and be liable for speed camera fines and fines for not displaying a current WoF or licence label). 

In short, don't rely on the dealer to do anything beyond take your money!

• Like 1

Got a letter awhile ago from LTSA saying they had received a sold\disposal notice for my S600. Rang them up and they said it was in the system but hadn't progressed or something and not to worry about it. 

Not sure if it was their negligence or someone tried doing the above. 

Sadly, number places can be seen whenever your car is on the road. It'd also be easy for someone to see a random number plate, add 1 to it, look up the details in carjam.co.nz, then have the details for a different car. Like this one, which is an 'off by one' for my number plate:

https://www.carjam.co.nz/car/?plate=XA4555

So I don't particularly care if my number place is online. However, some people do care - and I appreciate the effort photo takers take when they remove the number plates from their photos.

• Like 2

On 5/3/2017 at 9:47 PM, Neal said:

.At least having the old fashioned ownership papers gave another factor for identity. System of ownership needs work.

interesting that in the UK they describe you as the "registered keeper" of the vehicle, and note on the V5 that it doesn't constitute legal ownership or title of the vehicle.  I'm sure there's underpinning laws in UK that support this approach... such as your details being on the rego so if you do a train robbery they'll know you as Ronald Biggs Esq of Essex, rather than "The Dodgy, Blaggit and Cosh Finance Company, Leytonstone", and if Jim Graftit successfully changes rego details on his company VAG (just rolls of the tongue, doesn't it?) A4 and says "it's mine now, chum" the lease company with legally retrieve their carriage in no time flat and Mr Graftit Esq quickly becomes prisoner 76981542 at HMP Belmarsh on a fraud conviction thank you very much son.

Same here. Registered owner does not constitute legal ownership, as it explains on the change of ownership form.

On 5/3/2017 at 9:20 PM, Olaf said:

^^ I appreciate where you're coming from, however, you're overlooking the point of leaking intelligence that allows complete strangers to link a car or registration with your person, which is a large number of steps to the left of the anonymity of a number plate on a car and no clue to whom it belongs.

but they could do this after seeing your car stopped at a traffic light.

9 minutes ago, kiwi535 said:

but they could do this after seeing your car stopped at a traffic light.

Not link my on-line profile or name with seeing my vehicle at a traffic light, no. 

Seeing my vehicle on the street they get make model Colour and rego.  They can't get my name or address from this, as the information held by NZTA is not public info.

online on social media, you can associate a vehicle with an online profile, and mine a great deal of information to associate with a vehicle number plate.  

5 minutes ago, Olaf said:

Not link my on-line profile or name with seeing my vehicle at a traffic light, no. 

Seeing my vehicle on the street they get make model Colour and rego.  They can't get my name or address from this, as the information held by NZTA is not public info.

online on social media, you can associate a vehicle with an online profile, and mine a great deal of information to associate with a vehicle number plate.  

Carjam actually sells this info... License alone suffices for just about any info you could want from an owner.  

The system in NZ is a bit simple, this is great for ease of sale, this is also easier for people willing to commit fraud though. 

The mitigation is the system works pretty well here too, so it's unlikely you'd lose ownership of your car this way.

• Like 1

Which report do I buy from Carjam that provides ownership name and address details?  When I've purchased Carjam reports the private owner info is redacted, "individual owner, xxxxx km as of date, Personal details protected by law".  Full details for any company owners are provided.

• Like 2

Owners have the option of hiding their personal details from any low-level search. That is the case in the results you have given.

To get the info in such cases you have to write to NZTA with a reason, your details and a small fee.

the system works, the fact the guy got caught shows. Typical Hosking blowing smoke.

• Like 1

If it's registered personally your name is already withheld by default for the carjam style searches as the other's have mentioned; if you want to prevent easy access to your name and address for the 1000s of people who have access to the NZTA database through work (insurance company reps, car dealers etc.) you can do it here online: https://transact.nzta.govt.nz/transactions/personalinfoaccess/entry

There's a link included which explains the situations in which your info is released.

• Like 2

On 5/6/2017 at 10:14 PM, Olaf said:

Which report do I buy from Carjam that provides ownership name and address details?  When I've purchased Carjam reports the private owner info is redacted, "individual owner, xxxxx km as of date, Personal details protected by law".  Full details for any company owners are provided.

I was wrong. I went and looked again and they have removed that paid service from their site, since 2011.

On 5/7/2017 at 9:59 AM, jonoe30 said:

If it's registered personally your name is already withheld by default for the carjam style searches as the other's have mentioned; if you want to prevent easy access to your name and address for the 1000s of people who have access to the NZTA database through work (insurance company reps, car dealers etc.) you can do it here online: https://transact.nzta.govt.nz/transactions/personalinfoaccess/entry

There's a link included which explains the situations in which your info is released.

Thank you for this. I've opted out now.

• Like 1

Damn, I was hoping to find a more useful reporting option! ?

I too will be opting out this evening.?

I was going to opt-out thinking this would protect me from a casual request but:

Before you opt-out, keep in mind that persons authorised are those that have a legitimate need for access to information held on the Motor Vehicle Register and include organisations such as insurers, finance companies and motor vehicle traders. Opting-out may mean that it costs more and takes longer for you to complete any transactions with these organisations as they will be required to specifically request your information from the Transport Agency.

I think it'll just throw a spanner in some works.

Nevertheless, I appreciate the link, thanks.