Sign in to follow this  
Donald J Trump

Mechanical warranty, what can I get away with?

I just got the 335i, while I'm super happy with its all round performance, I'd absolutely love to chip for more hp. In saying that, it has a mechanical warranty for 3 years so don't want to void this. I'd be fairly certain performance mods like this would be disallowed.

Does anyone know how closely the mechanics look (if at all) for unauthorized mods in the event of a breakdown?

Also, are aftermarket exhausts banned? 

My mate has an X5 with 22s (cringe) and exhaust which was accepted by the warranty place, would I assume u can do the same without voiding it?

I would ask them but that might raise some sort of suspicion haha

MHD is the best way to tune a 335i, you can flash back to stock before taking the car for service, they will have no way of knowing...Charge pipe needs to be upgraded if you run a tune, you could swap that when taking the car in, a pain but not a complicated job.

The workshop won't go running to your warranty company as soon as they see mods. You're their customer. When there is a claim, the warranty company might send someone over to inspect the car. 
I got lucky in a way, my stock chargepipe exploded and I had my mechanic vouch that it is a reliability upgrade, the warranty company then allowed it. Also the cost being similar helped. 

You can do the PE mod and replace the exhaust tips. Easier to get away with as it looks stock (except the tips, but they wouldn't have a problem with a little cosmetic mod I think).

Maybe have a chat with your warranty company to see what they'll allow. 

Edited by Matth5

Have you actually read your policy as a starting point?  That should clearly lay out what's accepted, and what is prohibited.  It may be a blanket term: "no modifications", which provides you with guidance.  Then as Matt5 suggests, you go to your insurance company - initiate a dialogue - and lay out your proposal and ask them if you could still expect cover under their policy for this deviation.  

Hint:  if you use the term "what can I get away with" with your insurers, you'll probably come off with a bunch of dis-es.  Disingenuous, Dishonest, and (if you like) "deceitful'.  

Try the search bicycle, someone else has asked this same question wrt a 335i within the last year.  There was some excellent advice from @*Glenn* on the folly of trying to get away with mods and subsequently defraud the MBI insurer.  

You can reasonably expect that a policy decline or cancellation on your insurance record will hurt you in future.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Depends who you are using to do the work. Also on the size of the repair, most stuff they wont send an assessor of for so no problem. But new turbos etc they would. Mhd and cobb tunes are easy to revert back to stock, its just the bolt ons. Eg Weigh up the cost to remove and reinstalll downpipes to the cost of the repair claim.  If you are prepared for the hassle and extra cost for the performance no problem otherwise easy to leave stock and go balls out after year 3.

Chargepipes , intercooler , cold air are all easy stuff you can do yourself.

Personally I wouldn't mention anything about modding to the Mechanical warranty company.

Also some policies have huge holes in there wording that they can be challenged on, should things get heated.

My personal opinion would be to leave the car fairly stock for those 3 years because there is a very high chance you will be using that policy a lot.

abs Module, Waterpump/Thermostat, HPFP, OFH Gasket the list goes on.  

Edited by mattone74