Sign in to follow this  
DirtyThirty

78 E21 located in Gore

Condition is everything.

As is ownership - I was stung by a distant seller passing on a car that wasn't his. Check the car (and docs) in person if at all possible, or get someone to look at it for you.

1 hour ago, DirtyThirty said:

Anyone able to put a fair value on this car on trademe???

how about a link?

seems tidy enough, interesting it only does a few hundred miles per year.  yet it's running a Link ECU?  Why?

MPH speedo looks like UK market, carjam says first rego'd in germany and imported to NZ 9 years later.  It's not so unusual, folks in Germany thinking of migrating to NZ would buy an RH Drive car a couple of years before coming here, and selling off after two years be well off for a rare german car.  9 years though - a different thing.  Perhaps a diplomat or military person?  Whatever, it's an interesting car.

To me it'd be worth about $2k5-3k assuming it's rust-free; the e21 is rarely found these days without serious amounts of work to be done.  Others might pay more. It's only worth what you're prepared to pay.  Mind you, -75 cool points for that awful 1980's glass pop-up sunroof, and possibly less $500 to me.

FWIW.

It is a 1978 model and the vinyl seats were pretty common, however it has the facelift doors, the early versions had chrome mirrors mounted below the window line on the door skin itself. Also the door pull on the drivers side is missing a bit and the passengers door pull needs adjusting. Pod filter done and battery transferred to the boot. Provided there is little rust this car could be worth around $4000. Expect a 4 speed gearbox.

as has already been said they are few and far between. There are still a few good ones around. but most will need work.  

I would be wanting to see the carpets removed and the floors exposed, look under the car at the jack points and the back seat removed to look at the inner wheel wells. 

Also looking as close as can under the rear side windows and boot lip.

If it has been looked after for 25 years and used as described it could be a survivor.  

but yes doors replaced. 

The mechanical fuel injection when running is great. when its not it is a absloute dog to sort out. its often quicker easyer and cheaper in the long run to convert to EFI. 

If you are after a clean rust free body and this proves to be that its worth 5k+ 

It's running a Link?!? :blink:

That's gotta be worth something, if not pure entertainment for the fact that was their solution to the existing (fairly simple) EFI failing

• Like 1

The original injection wasnt electronic, it can be an expensive exercise to get it working properly, I think a new fuel distribution unit is probably a similar price to a Link ecu, they probably could have gotten away with using an e30 318i ecu, but still a bit of work. A pair of twin throat webers is another option, but carbs! 

11 hours ago, aja540i said:

The original injection wasnt electronic, it can be an expensive exercise to get it working properly, I think a new fuel distribution unit is probably a similar price to a Link ecu, they probably could have gotten away with using an e30 318i ecu, but still a bit of work. A pair of twin throat webers is another option, but carbs! 

Just had a look on trademe and man second hand links are cheap!

So cheap I'm tempted to buy one, most likely for the m30, though the m20 would benefit as well.

Thanks for the feedback. Bit far away to check and looks like they want lots of dollars. Will wait and see where it goes.