Sign in to follow this  
TermiPeteNZ

1991 850i in Welly

http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=1320792996

• $21K
  • 120kms

Looks damned tidy!!!

"I've owned for 6 years and have maintained through Powerhaus Thorndon. Preemptive maintenance completed: major servicing, replaced radiator, EDS suspension units, ECUS, power steering piping, driveshaft etc. includes original BMW handbooks, sale brochure, and two keys"

553455209.jpg

553455186.jpg

553455278.jpg

553455300.jpg

553455233.jpg

badly fitting exhaust, strange v12 badge and wrong offset wheels...

• Like 5

I've wanted one of these for a while. I'd pay the extra 4 g's and buy Julians.

26282976353_fda8ce8357_c.jpg

• Like 2

I've always been surprised why these are worth so much? Going by asking prices anyhow... Like it's more than E36 M3 money and in the same ball park as E39 M5s and cheap E46 M3s, three cars that offer a true BMW driving experience & thrill.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Michael. said:

I've always been surprised why these are worth so much?

Drive a sorted one. Then you will know.

Own one. then you will really know. B)

Edited by treone

bit of a stupid argument but *IF* the car was priced lower say 10-12k rather than what it currently is (around the 20-30k mark) then every joe blow on the block will have one sacked to the ground sitting on 20" rims and feeling damn cool and us purists wont like it anymore no matter how good the driving experience is/can be.

so in a way we can be thankful that it has held the price/value well over time and thus prevents every other person from tarnishing the 'image' of a classic e31.

2c

• Like 1

1 hour ago, treone said:

Drive a sorted one. Then you will know.

Own one. then you will really know. B)

Well, I have.

Driven three 850i models over the years, all have disappointed me. They seem to have such un-BMW like driving characteristics, vague steering and stodgey braking, an uninspiring V12 and just a general sense of an aged car with too many rattles inside. Still remain the most disappointing BMW models I've driven, especially considering the hype around them supposedly being these amazing cars.

I still like the look of them, but the performance doesn't seem to match the looks which is a shame. 

I've always wanted drive a late model 840ci manual, I suspect they will be better than the early V12 autos, but it's not like many are around to try. 

I think it is to do with the rarity and the aesthetic.

20 hours ago, Michael. said:

Well, I have.

Driven three 850i models over the years, all have disappointed me...

...Still remain the most disappointing BMW models I've driven, especially considering the hype around them supposedly being these amazing cars.

I still like the look of them, but the performance doesn't seem to match the looks which is a shame. 

I've always wanted drive a late model 840ci manual, I suspect they will be better than the early V12 autos, but it's not like many are around to try. 

Each to their own I suppose. I, however, preferred owning one :D

19 hours ago, TermiPeteNZ said:

I think it is to do with the rarity and the aesthetic.

Exactly :rolleyes:

16 hours ago, Michael. said:

So with all this said.... why don't you own one anymore?

Its the same reason I no longer own my M5, M3, X3, 535i, 525i, Senator and Adventra - Life happens and you move on :rolleyes:

But who's to say that I won't own my 8 series (or any of the above) again in the future... cos life happens ;) 

back to the OP - with its cosmetic faults, this is a nice example IMO

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, treone said:

Its the same reason I no longer own my M5, M3, X3, 535i, 525i, Senator and Adventra - Life happens and you move on :rolleyes:

But who's to say that I won't own my 8 series (or any of the above) again in the future... cos life happens ;) 

back to the OP - with its cosmetic faults, this is a nice example IMO

Similar. It's (partly) why I don't own my M635CSi, 840Ci or any one of many other lovely cars. No space, life, and... Well, moving from the UK to NZ may have something to do with it!

I still like this one. It's LHD, been for sale for what seems like ages, and it's not a colour everyone would want.

850.JPG.9e275409b448f81fdf6d614e4c05ee79.JPG

6 minutes ago, gjm said:

Similar. It's (partly) why I don't own my M635CSi, 840Ci or any one of many other lovely cars. No space, life, and... Well, moving from the UK to NZ may have something to do with it!

I still like this one. It's LHD, been for sale for what seems like ages, and it's not a colour everyone would want.

850.JPG.9e275409b448f81fdf6d614e4c05ee79.JPG

I too have to say I like this one and I actually like this colour - it has grown on me! I suspect that the colour and being LHD is the reason it has not moved. Either that or there is something majorly wrong with it.

You are a legend for having owned a M635CSI and an 840ci - wow! 

4 minutes ago, treone said:

Highline E24 in Dolphingrau, 840Ci in yellow. My brother had an 850: we sort of swapped - I'd previously had a Merc 560SEC, while he had a 500SEC. We'd swap cars pretty often.

10 minutes ago, gjm said:

Highline E24 in Dolphingrau, 840Ci in yellow. My brother had an 850: we sort of swapped - I'd previously had a Merc 560SEC, while he had a 500SEC. We'd swap cars pretty often.

It gets even better - sounded like a pretty special E24. And a yellow 8 - niiiiice! Dakar yellow I suspect? My M3 was an E36 dakar yellow Saloon so yes I'm a fan of the colour haha! Not really keen on mercs but SEC's are pretty cool and I wouldn't say no to one! I wish my brothers had better taste in cars - I don't fancy swapping any of my fleet with a Toyota or Ford lol

13 minutes ago, treone said:

It gets even better - sounded like a pretty special E24. And a yellow 8 - niiiiice! Dakar yellow I suspect? My M3 was an E36 dakar yellow Saloon so yes I'm a fan of the colour haha! Not really keen on mercs but SEC's are pretty cool and I wouldn't say no to one! I wish my brothers had better taste in cars - I don't fancy swapping any of my fleet with a Toyota or Ford lol

My head keeps saying Giallo Yellow, but that was the Integrale. :)
Bros 850 was (iirc) Black Mica Metallic, a rare colour (we were told). His was also a Ci, 1994MY.

19 minutes ago, gjm said:

My head keeps saying Giallo Yellow, but that was the Integrale. :)
Bros 850 was (iirc) Black Mica Metallic, a rare colour (we were told). His was also a Ci, 1994MY.

That's so cool! My 840ci was Cosmos Black, a 1996MY and was one of the early 4.4/Tiptronic cars. I found this to be an awesome combination. It was also privately imported from the UK in the early 2000's.

I had driven a couple of early model 850i's and found them to be an adequate package, but man the 840ci could get up and boogie and did what is was designed for - a GT cruiser! I recently got to have a drive of it a month or so ago - the current owner has installed an aftermarket exhaust (sounded good) - and it reminded me of what an 8 is all about and what an idiot I was to let it go!

I'm curious for your qualified opinion - how did the 840ci and 850ci compare?

15 minutes ago, treone said:

I'm curious for your qualified opinion - how did the 840ci and 850ci compare?

Based on my experience (and there are more engines in the 8-series than I've driven) the 840 was more sporty, while the 850 was more cruiser but still ultimately faster.

I felt the same was true of the 500 and 560SEC Mercedes. The slightly smaller engined car was a more sporting drive, and while both were grand tourers, the bigger-engined car was more so.

Edited by gjm
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, treone said:

I too have to say I like this one and I actually like this colour - it has grown on me! I suspect that the colour and being LHD is the reason it has not moved. Either that or there is something majorly wrong with it.

Was this the neglected 850i that ended up on trademe in Dunedin a few years ago? Had been sitting under a tree on someone's front lawn for years... pretty sure it was the same colour and LHD, perhaps someone here who took more notice can confirm or correct me.

On 5/12/2017 at 11:03 PM, coop said:

Was this the neglected 850i that ended up on trademe in Dunedin a few years ago? Had been sitting under a tree on someone's front lawn for years... pretty sure it was the same colour and LHD, perhaps someone here who took more notice can confirm or correct me.

This one is a fresh import from Japan. Well, when I say fresh I mean it was imported and turned up on this lot and then has never sold..lol

17 minutes ago, kulgan said:

This one is a fresh import from Japan. Well, when I say fresh I mean it was imported and turned up on this lot and then has never sold..lol

It's certainly been for sale for a while. I think it was discussed on here some months ago - opinions were divided on the colour then, too.