Sign in to follow this  
lord_jagganath

Mercedes-Benz E36 AMG coupe or a Hammer replica

Saw this in the Malaysian Classifieds, and was claimed that only 6 existed ex UK, being a 1995 car. I was wondering if this would make for an interesting project. The kit seems to be an AMG 3rd gen? doubt if the photos even represent the original E36 though. 

871613100455739.jpg

871613100843444.jpg

876613101983358.jpg

877613109029996.jpg

Not sure if it's still listed?

It could be a genuine E36, but I think there were 12 of these, not 6. I had an E36 estate in Malachite Green - great car.
Does potentially suffer from the biodegradable engine wiring loom, but other than that, these things go well, stop well, handle well and are very comfortable. 272hp.

However, there are some things which aren't original. The rear lights have been changed (Mercedes/AMG only used orange indicators at the time) and that bootlip spoiler doesn't look original. The rims look like they could be 18s - these cars came on 17s.

It'd be interesting to see the gearknob - it should have 'E36' embossed into it.

Parts for these can be interesting. None were ex-factory AMG: all were built by Mercedes as cars, then shipped to AMG for work. This means that the main dealer databases typically show these cars as being a 320, and not a E36.

Graham, one of these days you need to list out all the cars you have owned, mate. I would love to see that list, I bet it would be as long as my arm!:lol::D

the car isn't listed anymore, has been sold to a collector. 

wonder if one could make a copy of it here, with a c36 engine... 

55 minutes ago, lord_jagganath said:

Wonder if one could make a copy of it here, with a c36 engine... 

You could. (I had one of them, too. :D)

The C36 was quoted at 276hp against the E36's 272 due to slightly different intake and exhaust configuration. With throttle bodies and little else these engines made a little over 300hp.

The M104 was made by Mercedes in 2.8, 3.0 and 3.2 sizes. AMG and Brabus did conversions for 3.4 and 3.6 litres. They are a popular swap into the older W201 body. Several turbo conversions around too, going beyond 800hp.

You'd definitely want to check the motor is actually the M104.941, as that AMG badge on the valve cover isn't in the correct location does have the 3.6 intake made of unobtanium though. 

Would love to see some of your E36 Graham, definitely something I'd love to own.

I like the appeal of this era AMG, but the rest of it, particularly general styling, and interior quite stuffy and dated. 

They don't have the same winning interior formula BMW had through the 80s and 90s.

3 hours ago, Michael. said:

I like the appeal of this era AMG, but the rest of it, particularly general styling, and interior quite stuffy and dated. 

They don't have the same winning interior formula BMW had through the 80s and 90s.

I guess it's each to their own, but consider these were launched in 1986. What other interior from that era could compare to it... not a lot. VK Commodore, XF Falcon, Jag XJ, anything Jap :yuk. IMO E34 and E32 are up there. They work good ergonomically, but don't have the simplistic layout of the Benz which has stood the test of time by design and build quality. The E34 is one of my favourite cars but it's odd shaped dash, huge centre console and light switches around the instrument cluster has always bugged me, it is kinda awkward.

I have the W140 which is rather dated next to the E38 and 39. But it smashes them for build quality. I think the E39 is the best interior of the 1990s. 

The 3.6s look to be a popular aftermarket conversion. I have a m119 V8 and 4 speed auto sitting here which I'd like to drop into a 124 coupe or wagon. Can't find any rhd examples for reference so may not be possible.

3 hours ago, coop said:

I have the W140 which is rather dated next to the E38 and 39. But it smashes them for build quality. I think the E39 is the best interior of the 1990s. 

Yep.  When BMW released the e38, Mercedes coincided their release of the mid-cycle update to the W140.  Mercedes (allegedly) fired all their design engineers on the W140 programme as a result. "vot ze fik haff zu engineerensen been gerfikken mit fur zees gepassenfumpfenjahren.  Look at zat eeee-dreisen-achtesen!  Ge-FIRED!"

Of course, in 1997 many former Mercedes engineers from the W140 programme thought that things couldn't get any worse, there was a notable accident in Paris.  "hmmm, CV update... 'I worked at Mercedes on the W140 programme from 1985-1995', there that's better."

W220 was the later result of flushing the team and forcing new thinking.  One can't help but wonder how many accountants they smuggled in wearing white coats!

9 hours ago, coop said:

The E34 is one of my favourite cars but it's odd shaped dash, huge centre console and light switches around the instrument cluster has always bugged me, it is kinda awkward.

Well... each to their own, I think the E34s interior is vastly more impressive than the Mercs of the 80s and early 90s, the E34 has sporting pretensions with it's angled dash towards the driver and all the other benefits like sport seats in the good models. From what I've seen AMGs interior didn't differ much of an upgrade to standard models and still had the look of a few bits of 2x8 wood nailed together at right angles using springy leather seats from an old mans 1970s council flat. 

9 hours ago, coop said:

Must have got lucky with yours! I remember years back my dads mate had a W140 and the quality was appalling where it counted, electrical issues all the time and had to have the loom replaced, he sold it shortly after I recall. Ended up buying an LS400 to replace it and still has it years later. 

Agree about E39 interiors, very classic, just let down by cheap buttons that crack sometimes. 

2 hours ago, Michael. said:

Well... each to their own, I think the E34s interior is vastly more impressive than the Mercs of the 80s and early 90s, the E34 has sporting pretensions with it's angled dash towards the driver and all the other benefits like sport seats in the good models. From what I've seen AMGs interior didn't differ much of an upgrade to standard models and still had the look of a few bits of 2x8 wood nailed together at right angles using springy leather seats from an old mans 1970s council flat. 

Must have got lucky with yours! I remember years back my dads mate had a W140 and the quality was appalling where it counted, electrical issues all the time and had to have the loom replaced, he sold it shortly after I recall. Ended up buying an LS400 to replace it and still has it years later. 

Agree about E39 interiors, very classic, just let down by cheap buttons that crack sometimes. 

Re the seats, I guess you're referring to the pre facelift 126 and 124 models? They were a relic from the '70s and enough to put me off buying one. The 126 was facelifted in '86 and the 124 in '89 and both had revised seat designs near identical to the E32/34. I do agree that an Msport E34 with all black interior is hard to beat. Even the 211 e55/e63 seats look like a lounge suit compared to M5, but I think MB and its buyers have different expectations to those of an M5. 

I've owned three W140s and parted out two. Wiring issues in early 90s is well documented. They're built like brick sh*t houses. More solid than any Ither car I've owned or worked on. 

Edited by coop
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Michael. said:

Depends what options you ticked really, the interior in this car is standard leather similar in design to the E34. You could option Sportline interior, or fit other seats such electric Recaro's (Classic C etc). The shape of the dash and centre console is really nice from the drivers seat, doesn't hug around like the E34 but it just feels good.

There was an article I read the other day about a Hartge W124, had the BMW motor and Hartge pack etc, that was interesting.

11 hours ago, coop said:

. The E34 is one of my favourite cars but it's odd shaped dash, huge centre console and light switches around the instrument cluster has always bugged me, it is kinda awkward.

The 3.6s look to be a popular aftermarket conversion. I have a m119 V8 and 4 speed auto sitting here which I'd like to drop into a 124 coupe or wagon. Can't find any rhd examples for reference so may not be possible.

My friend has an E34 540i, I personally prefer the 124 interior as I find the E34 quite cramped and feels basic compared. I don't like the dash and I don't like the standard seats, M-sport seats on the other hand really improve the interior. Guess we buy what we like lol.

3.6's are a great install, although pricey. M119 is also an awesome swap but requires a lot of engine bay/firewall re-working. For the money you spend on either conversions, a turbo on the 3.2 will blow both away with ease. Have seen a couple of S124 build where they used genuine E500 body cuts and bumpers to widen them, pretty sweet.

I agree about W140, yet to be in a better quality car, being the top spec V12 obviously helps and it did cost a lot more than the 5.0L V8 model. W140 interior has a gentlemens club vibe to it, perfect for the car considering the different target market. 

The E34 interior being spartan and driver orientated is what i love about them, clean and simple down to business drivers car, the sports seats fit me like a glove. I have huge faith in E34's, still my goto for the whole package. E38\E39 has too much inferior quality plastic to ever feel true quality but does make up for it in other areas. My old E32 750iL was the best built BMW ive seen, similar to the W126 in having that old 80's sturdiness\quality. 

BMW and Mercedes all look the same to me these days. At least back in their day they the brands had their own merits and styling.