Sign in to follow this  
enzed4

Hi from ChCh - E85

Been lurking for a while, but since I've just posted my first comment I thought I'd better do the 'intro' thing as well.

I've had this UK import Z4 since 2013 and have had a lot of fun with it, along with a few jobs that needed doing (soft top motor sitting in a pool of water - most common fault on these cars). I've done all of the jobs myself so far including the oil changes, new discs/pads, replacement roof motor (can almost take roof off blindfolded now...:lol:), brake fluid, ABS pump replacement and so on. Also using NCS and Carly to do coding. It's been a great learning experience, and fun to drive (that's the point after all, isn't it?)

And since I've been around long enough to know these threads are useless without pics...

15461607836_e05893ef17_b.jpg

21443277784_3d596e5bed_b.jpg

• Like 3

looks really tidy, love that paintwork.  welcome to the forum, Shayne.

is the roof motor in pool of water because of blocked drains?  Is this similar to the 6 series topless, too?  

More and more folks in Christchurch joining, hopefully some more meetings happening down there soon.

Welcome to the forum, always good to see another Z car owner on here.

• Like 1

Welcome Shayne - nice Z4! +1 with @Olaf hope you can get some events going down south!

Cheers Guys.

On 5/13/2017 at 2:44 PM, Olaf said:

looks really tidy, love that paintwork.  welcome to the forum, Shayne.

is the roof motor in pool of water because of blocked drains?  Is this similar to the 6 series topless, too?  

More and more folks in Christchurch joining, hopefully some more meetings happening down there soon.

Not sure about the 6 series, but the roof motor in the Zed sits in a cavity behind the passenger seat, and as you said, the drain hole gets blocked with bits of leaves, dirt etc, fills up the cavity and drowns the motor. BMW improved the motor housing on the later models to make them better sealed, but the drain hole/poor design never changed. It's just one of those things you learn, to check the drain hole every now and then to make sure it's draining properly.

The roof motor can be relocated to the boot (where it should have been in the first place, BMW :angry:) which eliminates the problem for good.