Sign in to follow this  
Vinu Chandrakumar

E30 325i VERT 1988 Manual Conversion

Hey guys,

I'm looking into converting my car from an auto to manual, just wondering if it were to increase or decrease the value of my car if I were to sell it in the future and if it worth to do it to a vert? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Vinu

Edited by Vinu Chandrakumar

My observations, for what they are worth, is that it seems Autos are worth about half a factory manual, and conversions seem to sit in the middle.

Depending how much work you do yourself, it's possible you could recover at least the parts value of your conversion when it comes time to sell.

If you really like to drive, manuals provide a much more engaging driver experience, especially in a 325, IMO, that adds an intangible value greater than any resale value for you.

• Like 1

Putting the manual in will definately INCREASE the value of the car, provided it is done to a decent standard.

Any manual E30 is more desirable than an auto for the mass market, and especially the lower it and add big rims brigade that seem to be into E30s at the moment.

As above, if you can get the parts for a good price, full conversion should be around $1,000 for used parts, add a couple of hundred bucks for replacing some of the worn out bits to do it right, and if you can do it all yourself (which isn't too hard) you will add more than that to the sell price of the car IMHO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Putting the manual in will definately INCREASE the value of the car, provided it is done to a decent standard.

Any manual E30 is more desirable than an auto for the mass market, and especially the lower it and add big rims brigade that seem to be into E30s at the moment.

As above, if you can get the parts for a good price, full conversion should be around $1,000 for used parts, add a couple of hundred bucks for replacing some of the worn out bits to do it right, and if you can do it all yourself (which isn't too hard) you will add more than that to the sell price of the car IMHO.

5 hours ago, EURO V8 said:

My observations, for what they are worth, is that it seems Autos are worth about half a factory manual, and conversions seem to sit in the middle.

Depending how much work you do yourself, it's possible you could recover at least the parts value of your conversion when it comes time to sell.

If you really like to drive, manuals provide a much more engaging driver experience, especially in a 325, IMO, that adds an intangible value greater than any resale value for you.

Thanks for the advice Charlie and Jon, have always wanted to convert it to a manual, but I do like the idea of the car being as it was out of the factory but the local euro parts wrecker is putting a kit together for me for a price that is hard to walk away from. Will eventually look into lowering it a tad and try to get my hands on a set of 15" BBS. What suspension setup do you have on your vert Jon? Thanks again for the advice guys.

Edited by Vinu Chandrakumar

Hey Vinu, suspension is nothing flash, just a set of super-low springs with some fairly tired standard shocks. Looks a bit lower due to the 17" rims and skinny tyres. Ha, wadda you know, I'm part of the lower it and big rims brigade I mentioned, funny.

In all honesty it is probably a bit too low and it affects the ride quality and the usefulness of the car. I am seriously thinking of putting the race series suspension into the vert and tidying up my 15" weaves for it, so it looks a lot more factory.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Hey Vinu, suspension is nothing flash, just a set of super-low springs with some fairly tired standard shocks. Looks a bit lower due to the 17" rims and skinny tyres. Ha, wadda you know, I'm part of the lower it and big rims brigade I mentioned, funny.

In all honesty it is probably a bit too low and it affects the ride quality and the usefulness of the car. I am seriously thinking of putting the race series suspension into the vert and tidying up my 15" weaves for it, so it looks a lot more factory.

Does look good though Jon. I've looked at those vert specific H&R springs as well as the Bilstein shocks to go with them and they look like the perfect setup but are on the wish list for now, way too expensive for a poor uni student.