BrokeMyWallet

2001-2004 X5 - opinions wanted

24 minutes ago, martyyyn said:

We bought our 2003 3.0l petrol three years ago this week. I got it from Bellars with a stack of service history for $9.5k

We've done just over 80k kms, it averages 11.2l/100k and apart from oil servicing the only issues we've had were to replace a broken drivers door mechanism and the aircon condensor died. We've replaced some miscellaneous suspension bits, discs and pads all around and had the transmission serviced. Total servicing costs has been around $5000. It's half way through it's second set of Continental Cross Contacts with both sets coming from new cars which had been "upgraded" and they cost $800 each time.

It does go through headlight bulbs fairly regularly but other than that, it's been absolutely faultless. Even with "just" a 3.0 petrol, with 5 of us in it and all the gear for a holiday it still moves pretty well.

Glad you've had a good run :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

*cough*manualconversion*cough* :D

I mentioned that to Pete at the club pub night this week.  Great minds etc...

• Like 2

Just hit 260km in my diesel. 

Still no issues. Seems to me like the petrol variants have significantly more cooling system issues, I imagine that it's just the much higher opeating temps

On 10/17/2018 at 10:01 PM, BrokeMyWallet said:

I just completed my Coolant Pipe repair. It was a pain in the arse but got there in the end. Took probably 10 hours to sort it.

I know it’s a 13 year old car but still, this is pretty “out there”! Check out the condition of the old seal that was leaking. 

3C0AF967-729D-41C6-81A1-B1D8A00CB3D1.jpeg

The alternator bracket is leaking, I reckon the guy that sold it to me knew about it and purposely didn’t tell me about it. Private sale so caveat emptor I guess. 

I didn’t realise I’d be signing up for non-stop repairs like this, but this is the last broken thing as of right now. 

Is that yours on TM, or just very similar history?

On 11/2/2018 at 6:04 PM, TermiPeteNZ said:

So Zane from Auto Transmission Repairs in Plimmerton gave me a call …

• loads of metal filings in the pan which is a bad sign
  • will require rebuild ; my MBI will cover ~50% of the cost
  • have asked him to email me more details of what he found and what he'll do...
  • he said that my is the older 5HP24 without a bunch of the later improvements ; and he has learned (the hard way) that if he repairs it is best to do it thoroughly and apply the updated components.
  • Apparently these transmissions drive OK even when they very worn - and then bang they crap out.

Ouch 😐 

Hutt Automatics did mine, same findings.

On 11/3/2018 at 4:43 AM, Young Thrash Driver said:

*cough*manualconversion*cough* :D

Yeah wish I’d don’t that on mine too, but they were in too deep. If I had stopped and thought it would have been the better option.

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:08 AM, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

Hutt Automatics did mine, same findings.

Still waiting on parts for the transmission - using the E60 M5 as daily driver but that's in at Winger today for O2 sensor and thermostat replacement to deal with stalls occurring when idling.

Here's the summary of what Zane found: 

BMW X5 V8 Reg JHC777 236744 KMs
Transmission fault : leaking oil from front of transmission. Remove exhaust , covers, drive shaft, part of suspension to enable removal of transmission. Disassemble transmission clean & check. Convertor lockup lining has broken up causing damage to front pump housing, gears & convertor neck. Clutch packs showing signs of burning. Bearings through hardening.

Ouch! :( Total cost to me for rebuild after Autosure max claim on old high km vehicle = ~$4500

Just saw this 4.8is come up for sale not far away... tempting (I think? :o )
https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1836240753

put a manual in it

• Haha 1

On 12/5/2018 at 12:08 AM, TermiPeteNZ said:

Just saw this 4.8is come up for sale not far away... tempting (I think? :o )
https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1836240753

Tempting!  The colour combo of this one is cool! Palmy's not that far away Pete ☺️

and to mak the trip even more worthwhile there's a manual conversion kit there as well (hehe): https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1862443098

Hope your one gets sorted soon!

• Like 1

Meh. Still waiting to get my X5 back... not sure if the parts have even arrived.

That 4.8is sold pretty quickly :)

I just returned 8.6L/100km over a 300km trip towing a 1275 clubman for a mate in mine. 

X5 life is good 

Just got my 2001 E53 X5 back from the transmission rebuild by Automatic Transmission Repairs Ltd. Had a good chat with Zane who runs the place …and here's what he had to say:

• With the more modern 6-speed trans in E70s, they're coded to the car so you can't just swap in another unit. The older 5HP24 ZFs in the E53 and similar are not coded and can be exchanged with a 2nd hand unit.
  • A BMW dealer processing a MBI claim will likely specify a whole new transmission rather than a rebuild which can be A LOT. So - better to use a reputable indy. We have seen a similar situation with the E60 550i repair quoted for the car Brett Taylor just purchased.
  • Even if BMW says 'lifetime sealed unit' change the oil in your transmission at each interval 50-60K KMs, and only use ZF oil. This will help it last longer.
  • A lot of the modern transmissions don't carry much oil, and don't really cool it down - and over time the oil degrades.
  • Whatever you're doing always use the right oil, and the best oil you can.
  • The 5HP24 is a decent transmission but you should expect a a rebuild as KMs go up.
  • If you're getting a rebuild done, then it should be done thoroughly and using the newer iterations of the components as the 5HP24 was improved during its lifetime.
  • After a rebuild, your vehicle it needs to go back for a check-up after 1000KMs

Good guy to talk to, and he knows his stuff.

Very pleased to have it back - enjoy driving it :) Transmission seems all good.

20181219_040445977_iOS.jpg

• Like 3