Sign in to follow this  
Olaf

ZF 6HP26 Trans Service

with my 545i nudging its way towards 160k kms, I'm going to have the trans serviced, or at least, the filter and pan, mechatronics sleeve, and fluid replaced.  I have the pan and bolts and sleeve, and new fill plug ready to go.

I've been looking into fluids.  Seems the ZF 6 Speed is sensitive to fluid...

The Spec for 6HP26 is:

• ZF Spec TE-ML 11B
  • Shell M-1375.4

Armed with this knowledge, and wanting to avoid "DexIII" assumption, I've looked at lots of info, written off Redline D6-ATF as it doesn't actually meet the specs, merely states it's a "popular crossover".    BMW dealer kindly offered to retail me their Shell fluid at $80/litre.  After that Redline prices in NZ looked almost reasonable at $40/litre!

Options:

• There's a Febi oil 34608 which is relatively inexpensive, meets the M-1375.4 and is listed by Febi as being the right thing for 6HP26.  Very little additional info, don't even know if it's mineral blend or full synth. A shade under USD10 per litre.
  • BMW's own 83222220445 meets Shell M-1375.4 (USD37/litre)
  • ZF Lifeguard 6 meets ZF Spec TE-ML 11B and Shell M-1375.4, it's price is getting up there (USD25/litre)
  • Pentosin ATF1 is Full Synthetic, meets ZF Spec TE-ML 11B and Shell M-1375.4, and is reasonably priced in USA at about USD15/litre.  I'm reading there's no NZ distributor, is this correct?

I've also looked at the Penrite site - they have no equivalent, as do Castrol NZ (warning only to use Shell M-1375.4).  Total's NZ distributor site listed FLUIDMATIC MV LV, but precious little else, didn't appear to be a stocked item.  Fuchs product finder listed ATF4134, though it only appears to have Mercedes certification.  Service Refill capacity stated as 9.7 litres.  ruled out.  

Wildcard:  Ford Motorcraft Mercon SP.  Yep, it's for the Ford ZF 6HP26 (called Ford 6R80)... In the US it's inexpensive, meets the right specs.  Dunno if it's full synthetic.  Wonder if I should call a Ford Dealer parts department (though one recalls why one does not own a Ford!).  Hyundai also runs this trans.  Hmm.

Proposed service approach:   Drain fluid (just draining sounds like it's 4.5 litres).  Refill to spec (I understand it's a three-stage thing, with correct trans temps reached, and adaptations reset).  Drive for 500kms.  Then drain and replace the pan with the new ZF part, sleeve, bolts, refill to spec with fresh fluid.  I think 12 litres should be plenty for this adventure.

Which Fluid?  I think I'll go with Pentosin ATF1 as it meets both ZF's own TE-ML 11B, and Shell's M-1375.4 specs, is fully synthetic, and is reasonably priced.  

Question 1:  Anyone in NZ sell Pentosin ATF1?  I don't object to a reasonable margin for freight, tax, and holding stock... if only someone is selling it here.

Question 2:  Should I talk with a Ford dealer about Motorcraft Mercon S?

Question 3:  Anything I've missed?

I also plan on replacing the diff fluid, and perhaps soon the Engine & Trans mounts, and the Guibo.  It's a 14 year old car, needs a bit of upkeep.  

Your thoughts appreciated.

Edited by Olaf
Ford Prefect
  • Like 1

found this ZF video:

The best person to ask imo would be Kayne Barrie.

• Like 1

Wildcard:  Ford Motorcraft Mercon SP.  Yep, it's for the Ford ZF 6HP26 (called Ford 6R80)... In the US it's inexpensive, meets the right specs.  Dunno if it's full synthetic.  Wonder if I should call a Ford Dealer parts department (though one recalls why one does not own a Ford!).  Hyundai also runs this trans.  Hmm.

As far as I know Ford used the ZF box in Falcons and rear drive Territory's, 6R80 in others, try a Ford dealer.

In my experience you'll have to get them to answer the phone first. Helpful tip, don't try Capital city Ford in Porirua.

• Like 2

ZF LifeGuard Fluid 6 is (as far as I can determine) the BMW-recommended fluid. Penrite don't list a fluid from their range to suit your car and specify this.

20 hours ago, zero said:

The best person to ask imo would be Kayne Barrie.

yes, though I don't know Kayne and wouldn't feel good taking his time/asking for advice when I'm not likely to pay for his services!  Perhaps I'm a little old-fashioned like that. :blush:

settled.  Page Euro are enjoying success with a Dex VI full synthetic fluid by Fuchs that they say is BMW approved, so they'll supply fluids and expertise.  

We're going to do a drain and fill, I'll drive it for a week, then it'll be pan off, replacement, dry fill with fresh fluid.  

• Like 1

How did you get on with this Olaf? I've got a new (to me) 6HP19 going into my 335i and have the same conundrum...what fluid and what's it going to cost me... I've brought a lot of bits in from the US but I don't think we can bring in fluids like oil without jumping through some hoops...

Edited by NakiTouring
Corrected gearbox model

Hi Duncan.  It went very well.  

We did drain and refill with Fuchs Dex VI fully synthetic.  The old fluid was dirty brown, thankfully not burnt or black.  The words were "it was time for this service".  

It shifted better from the get-go.  Snappier shifting, subtly improved.    I drove it for three weeks, about 300kms?

And then we did the new pan, new bolts, new mechatronic sleeve, new fill plug, and a fresh fill of Fuchs Dex VI.  Workshop commented that the interim drain and fill made a difference; the fresh detergents moved some of the deeper muck, they noted that the drain showed varnish deposits suspended in the fluid for the drain.  

It's now shifting better again, it seems 'more intelligent' if you like, changes up or down more readily, working to keep the engine in the right rev range.    I'm stoked, and there's a good peace of mind having done some key maintenance that most people avoid.

I chose to have the differential fluid replaced with full synthetic at the same time; replaced the drain and fill plugs too.  There are seals built in to the plugs, they're not expensive, so might as well replace them.

Hope that helps!

Cool, thanks for the update. The box going into mine only has 60k on it, while the outgoing is more like 170+ and was slipping when hot on the 4th to 5th upshift. I've got a new pan and bolts but hadn't considered the mechatronic sleeve...guess I better look into it. Do you know of a "cheap" source for the Dex VI? Cheers

Edited by NakiTouring