Sign in to follow this  
agent75

E46 330i Coolant Tank Nightmare

I've just replaced my coolant reservoir on my E46 330i and i have been having what i like to refer to as "a c*nt of a time".  I feel like it's mostly my fault.  I thought it was going to be a couple of satisfying hours improving my cooling system more as I've just done pump and tstat.  I bought a whole bunch of Febi stuff for my e30 and E46 but for some reason bought a Metzeler coolant tank.  It looked good but will not click properly in to the base connection.  I tried force and vaseline under perfectly legal circumstances but has only clicked in on one side.  I decided I would fill and bleed it for now anyway but with the original coolant cap with flat o-rings in a different tank it it now pissing out of there to below the standard level.  I haven't overheated the car or anything but have decided that it may be time to revisit my approach.

I will assume for now that Metzeler is sh*t but what do people think of Febi?  

Am I right in thinking that the new tank with different tolerances and old lid could cause said pissing of coolant? It was perfect with old set up and i am confident with my bleeding

Do people normally replace the mounting bracket for the tank at the same time as I am now going to purchase new matching FEBI tank, lid, top hose and coolant level probe (the old one gave up the ghost during the change.... faaaaaaaarrrrk!)

I deserve a telling off if it's coming.