Sign in to follow this  
Olaf

M3 CSL e46 wow

well said sir: " You try and find another, NZ new and low km! "

2nd CSL on TM this year.  whats going on?

Awe clearly common as muck

1 hour ago, Funkyflynz said:

2nd CSL on TM this year.  whats going on?

Probably depreciated on the business to the point they need to go?

Are CSL's in reality that much better than 'regular' M3s or is it just a rarity thing? :)

1 hour ago, TermiPeteNZ said:

Are CSL's in reality that much better than 'regular' M3s or is it just a rarity thing? :)

They're that much better, totally different car. The e46 M3 is great, the CSL is spectacular. 

The black one is still available also, if anyone is interested drop me a PM. 

3 hours ago, TermiPeteNZ said:

The CS is certainly cool.  I've not experienced a CSL other than to follow one regularly (which is to say, dream whilst listening to the bark).

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

They're that much better, totally different car. The e46 M3 is great, the CSL is spectacular. 

The black one is still available also, if anyone is interested drop me a PM. 

Black one what?  Linky please...

7 minutes ago, Olaf said:

Black one what?  Linky please...

The black one advertised earlier this year is my mates and is still available via private enquiry. No current link sorry but there are pics floating around this forum somewhere. 

It was detailed a few months back including underside and is in humidity controlled secure storage, looks brand new. 

Too rich for me unfortunately but at least I still get to drive it occasionally! 

• Like 1

like a well-celared grand cru vintage, eh?  nice work.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, M3AN said:

Too rich for me unfortunately but at least I still get to drive it occasionally! 

Lucky man :) How does it stand out to you - what is most distinctive? Have you driven a 'normal' E46 M3?

1 hour ago, TermiPeteNZ said:

Lucky man :) How does it stand out to you - what is most distinctive? Have you driven a 'normal' E46 M3?

Yes, I'm lucky enough to have had a fair bit of e46 M3 seat time, SMG and manual as well as various SMG 'flashes'. Absolutely fabulous car and that's why the CSL is so good. It's simply better in every regard, it's quicker, more precise, more nimble, more encouraging and has much more power on tap when and where you need it.

It's instantaneously noticeably better than the benchmark. And when that benchmark is an e46 M3 then you have something really quite special.

I'm pretty confident it's a car we'll still be talking about for a long time to come. Might be the very last of the NA goodness.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

The movie "The Castle" springs to mind... but no doubt a lovely car at the right price...

Good and bad depending what side of the fence you're on, lots of iconic cars now commanding money-no-object collector prices. Other Examples..

- Air-cooled Porsches

- Honda NS-X

- Subaru Imprezza 22b

• Like 1

Great example Martin.

Could have picked up an air cooled Porsche in 1995 for ~$30k. Same one is now >$130k.

NSX? $40k - now ???

22B? As low as $30k - can't even fine them now but $100k+

Add E30 M3 - 2001 ~$35k... 16 years on...

• Like 1

in 2001 one could source e30 M3's in Germany with around 70-100k kms on them for a little over 5,000 pounds.   I had the plan for 2002, but my work dried up in 2001, had to sell my touring and comeback to kiwilandia.  Hey ho.

8 hours ago, Olaf said:

in 2001 one could source e30 M3's in Germany with around 70-100k kms on them for a little over 5,000 pounds.   I had the plan for 2002, but my work dried up in 2001, had to sell my touring and comeback to kiwilandia.  Hey ho.

Was looking to do similar when I   lived in the U.K. 2005/6. A number were still 5-7k gbp 

Had a look at a few. Some where very rough.  Was even an EVO3 2.5 for $16k GBP. Just didn't get it together in time ( need to own one for 3 months to bring it in under khi rule)

Ended up with a free contraner coming back to NZ which was largely empty bar IKEA flat pack furniture, bed, and a sofa. :-(

I know the owner of the CSL, he was trying to decide whether to sell it, or store it with me

Also I have a new customer, dropped off his E30 M3, lefthand drive car for me to store, I have suggested he join Bimmersport & he will have a look & join soon, so another exotic BMW in Wellington, that we can get along to our meets!

• Like 2

Wellington's a village, I know CSL owner also, though not well.  Good to hear business is humming.

Is it me, or is the forum and membership picking up?! 

• Like 1

Speaking of wanting to buy classic, I once saw a Dino Ferrari  outside Ollies in Royal oak. Had a for sale sign on it for $22500 I so wanted it. I was 15. Now you need 3/4 of a million.

If only I knew then what I know now.  

Yep, I remember them being advertised in the paper in the late 70's for under $20k.  Mind you, a decent 3BR house in a second or third-tier suburb in Wellington was about $20k at that time!

Barry, I reckon he should store with you for the next ten years.  I have an inkling these'll double that price in that time.

I do really think bimmersport is on the rise as the BMW car club in Wellington is non existent, I also think we should put in & organise maybe a flyer or business card type of idea, so we can leave them on other Bimmers & encourage joining as well

what are your thoughts??

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Olaf said:

Yep, I remember them being advertised in the paper in the late 70's for under $20k.  Mind you, a decent 3BR house in a second or third-tier suburb in Wellington was about $20k at that time!

Barry, I reckon he should store with you for the next ten years.  I have an inkling these'll double that price in that time.

Those good ole days aye, i remember when i brought a Valiant charger for under $2500, and that was running and on the road.  That was only 10ish years ago, same condition car now is $25-30k.

Im not sure the CSL differentiates itself from the base M3 enough to command the kind of money these guys are asking? But in 15 years time I'm sure i will regret not selling the house to buy one lol

Edited by Funkyflynz
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Barryn said:

I do really think bimmersport is on the rise as the BMW car club in Wellington is non existent, I also think we should put in & organise maybe a flyer or business card type of idea, so we can leave them on other Bimmers & encourage joining as well

what are your thoughts??

Totally agree Barry - does seem to be going from strength to strength. Like the idea of

1. some kind of info we can leave on Bimmers to let them know ...
  2. number plate surrounds
  3. a decent t-shirt

But we do need to get the BimmerSport site owner's permission before producing anything ...