Sign in to follow this  
Davehaynes1

E36 318is Sump Gasket Replacement

Hi Guys.

Have a leak just started on my car.
Got it up off the floor in the garage, gave it a good clean up and out for a drive. When i got it back into the garage sure enough leaking from the sump gasket.

After reading through serveral online forums im at a loss..... most seem to be American talking about oil pans. And almost all mention an 'upper' & 'lower' oil pan.
After looking 10 times i can only see one sump on my car! Hopefuly someone can shed some light on this!

My other problem is i could not get to the two bolts up inside the bell housing. even with my long reach socket! no idea how i can get them, seem to be a good 5/6cm inside the bell housing.

I read on almost every post that the engine should be supported and the subframe dropped to gain access to the sump. Would i be able to unbolt the engine mounts and lift the engine slightly and leave the subframe in situ? seems like it would be an eaiser option unless there is some reason why not.

Thanks in advance!
Dave.

OK, got it all sorted!
Turns out my 1995 318is has an m44, even though m44 were 1996 and later?
Anyway, got the new gasket in, all bolted back up subframe etc.....
Reconnect everything i took off (Airbox & MAF, Power Steering Pump, Alternator, Battery, Dipstick Tube) nothing else was disconected/taken off.
Car will start but instantly die. if i give it some gas i can keep it running at around 1000rpm and runs perfectly but as soon as i come off the gas it dies.
Any ideas??
Thanks

m44 started in july 1995

m42 stopped end of 1995 beginning of 1996

have you checked all your intake hoses etc

you got a pic of the engine bay ?

This is definitely an M42.

From the pictures I can't see anything obvious, but Brent is probably right, in that it sounds like an air leak causing your trouble.

Did it idle well before you started the job?

the m42 'paper' gasket didnt fit.... had to swap it for the rubber m44 gasket that sits in the recess in the sump.

yep ran 100% before changing the gasket. i guess something got pulled loose as the enging dropped slightly even with an engine bar fitted.....

yes that's a m42 engine , older style cam sensor , older afm etc , idle control hose probably fallen out of the intake hose or manifold etc

so after driving around abit yesterday i notice oil still on the ground.... got the car back in the garage today and yup oil on the sump!
its coming from above the sump on the passanger side so i got the alternator off for a better look and looks like its coming from between the oil filter housing and the block??

yes all the bmw engines leak from there after a while

, lots of mechanics and home job guys replace the sump gasket and front crank seals thinking that's where the main issue is,

theres a profile gasket

and o-ring that will be as hard as a nail .

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E36-Coupe/Europe/318is-M42/R/1995/browse/engine/lubrication_system_oil_filter_2/

Edited by BM WORLD

29 minutes ago, Davehaynes1 said:

yep just got it all off, will pop to the parts shop tomorow and pick up a new gasket.
atleast this ones an easy job

Don't forget the oring that's the main part that fails