Sign in to follow this  
zeroyon223

318ti knock sensors

Hi all, 

I'm hoping someone could shed some light on a problem I have with my 318ti. Basically the car has a persistent 1100rpm idle when hot, no hunting or anything, and it's around 800rpm at cold, and using a fair amount more fuel than I'd expect. For a bit of a background, I purchased the car a couple of months ago, and it soon developed what I thought was a headgasket leak (it's an M42), but I removed the head to find a crack instead. So I got a lower km replacement engine and did all the timing case and sump gaskets, hoses, WP, thermo, plastic coolant pipes etc while I was there- a full refurb basically.

When I was swapping to the new motor, I noticed that my old knock sensors plastic housings were a little less cracked than the new motors' sensors (basically had no plastic left on them) so I swapped them over, but I tightened them up without torquing them, is there a possibility it's killed them (overtightened)? I haven't entirely ruled out a vacuum leak either, but I did have a spray around with ether and there was no surge in idle. Could the knock sensors being faulty cause it to do this? It ran normally before I swapped the motor, aside from the cracked head. It has no 02 sensor either, wasn't fitted from factory by the looks.

How can you scan for codes on an obd1 car with no check engine light? It's a 95, nz new, manual car.

Cheers,