Sign in to follow this  
Worksie

Big Oops!

Unfortunately I have managed to crash my 330d.

A silly mistake, looked down to turn on my heated rear window, forgot that there had been a thumping great Chrysler Voyager parked right on the corner for the last two or three weeks.

Looked up in time to go "oh drat", actually much stronger language was used, but you get the drift!

Swerved and braked at the same time, but I was unable to avoid colliding with it.

Was only travelling at what I would think was 30 kms, due to the corner.

Lukily my airbags did not go off, and according to the panel beater, I have managed to miss vital components by about 25mm.

I just hope the insurance company will repair it.

image.jpeg

Oh yeah, and the day before I had two brand new tyres put on the car and a wheel alignment done. Tyres had travelled about 160kms when this happened. Plus the diesel tank is basically full too. Grrrrr!

Graeme

Hard luck but you would not be alone with this type of crash, I hope it's fixable. 

At least nobody hurt.  Perhaps Tyres well scrubbed-in may have made a small difference.  Still, the vehicle did its job, and you were protected.

Annoyingly I was also looking forward to taking the car down to Wellington for a weeks holiday over Queens Birthday weekend. Would have been a really good test for performance, economy etc. Oh well, will be going down in my Rover 75 Tourer instead!

Silly question, but I haven't crashed a car in a few country-moves now. How does insurance work in New Zealand for this kind of thing? If I have full coverage and hit another car due to negligence on my part, will my insurance still fork out for it?

They should do, as long as you are not proven drunk or suchlike!

You will be charged your excess that is on your policy.

1 hour ago, Worksie said:

They should do, as long as you are not proven drunk or suchlike!

You will be charged your excess that is on your policy.

Thanks for that. I did expect to pay my excess, as that's not unreasonable.

Ugh that sucks, sorry to hear about this. 

on the topic of insurance over on the US forums you often hear about guys taking the total write off payout for their car and then repairing it. Does that ever happen here?

Can you buy the car back directly from the insurance company or do you have to watch turners or something similar to buy it back?

7 minutes ago, Dirtybimmer said:

Can you buy the car back directly from the insurance company or do you have to watch turners or something similar to buy it back?

Not sure yet. Still waiting on the Insurance company decision.

I would assume I could, should be given first choice. 

49 minutes ago, Dirtybimmer said:

Classic car insurance often has a buy back clause after a write off, but I haven't seen it in State or Vero policies I've had. Check your policy working and see... if it comes to that. Hopefully not!

13 hours ago, Herbmiester said:

Hard luck but you would not be alone with this type of crash, I hope it's fixable. 

if it was an e60, it'd still be fixable though the insurers wouldn't likely proceed due to high costs.  Gotta love a e46.  Every home should have one!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Olaf said:

if it was an e60, it'd still be fixable though the insurers wouldn't likely proceed due to high costs.  Gotta love a e46.  Every home should have one!

The panel beater, has said that after removal of the bonnet, guard and bumper, it is not as bad as it looked. There is a bit of damage to the inner guard, but he said it is repairable. So now I have to wait for the outcome from the insurance company. 

Anyone,  in the Waikato especially, I highly recommend Spyve's Panel Shop. He repaired my Rover 75 passengers rear door, when I was backed into. No bog was used, though they had to 'chase' the dent around to get it!

I have been looking at 530d models, though the newer ones 2004 onwards, don't quite do it for me.

A 330d is still my preferred option. The E90 is ok, but I like the look of the E46 more.

50 minutes ago, Worksie said:

I have been looking at 530d models, though the newer ones 2004 onwards, don't quite do it for me.

A 330d is still my preferred option. The E90 is ok, but I like the look of the E46 more.

you've been comparing sauv blanc, chardonnay, and central otago pinot noir!

55 minutes ago, qube said:

Any reason for the diesel preference?

large petrol engine performance for smaller economy.The torque of a x20d is impressive and x30d would be more so....BUT i am quite sure that a diesel is only adviseable if you do longer runs.I would not buy a diesel for an around town car.DPF issues seem more common in round town diesels.

Re the insurance it wont be an issue repairing the car,esp if you can use second hand parts.Is a nice  right guard of a crashed donor car .Bumper from a car with rear damage.New parts will need to be painted anyway.

Edited by kiwi535

5 hours ago, qube said:

Any reason for the diesel preference?

I do 40 kilometres each way to and from work, pretty much most of it is open road speed.

Plus my family and friends live in Tauranga, Auckland and Wellington. So my travel is mostly open road. 

I am also very impressed with the torque after my petrol cars. 

My fuel bill has been cut by I would say 2/3rds, and my distance travelled has increased as well, for less fuel cost. I know rego is more expensive, and there are RUC as well. But the fortnightly fuel payments make the biggest change.

I'm struggling with the viability of using our 320d for the trip to work.

At (for the sake of argument) 6l/100km and assuming diesel at 114c/litre, it costs 114x6=684c in fuel, plus 100x5.8c=580c in RUcs. Total = $12.64.

Taking the E36 318i I've been using recently:

At 7l/100km and assuming petrol at 200c/litre (I typically less than this - 98 @ 187c/litre recently), it costs $14. A difference of $1.36 per 100km, which is readily absorbed by the slightly higher rego costs, and more frequent servicing the diesel typically requires.

Now, the 320d does have more performance, both in terms of power and torque. The trade-off is that this is for commuting on roads where I can normally maintain 90-100km/h for a reasonable period of time; power and torque are less important. (We have a 5-litre Mercedes for that sort of thing!)

Decisions, decisions.

2 hours ago, gjm said:

At (for the sake of argument) 6l/100km and assuming diesel at 114c/litre, it costs 114x6=684c in fuel, plus 100x5.8c=580c in RUcs. Total = $12.64.

Taking the E36 318i I've been using recently:

At 7l/100km and assuming petrol at 200c/litre (I typically less than this - 98 @ 187c/litre recently), it costs $14. A difference of $1.36 per 100km, which is readily absorbed by the slightly higher rego costs, and more frequent servicing the diesel typically requires.

Now, the 320d does have more performance, both in terms of power and torque. The trade-off is that this is for commuting on roads where I can normally maintain 90-100km/h for a reasonable period of time; power and torque are less important. (We have a 5-litre Mercedes for that sort of thing!)

Decisions, decisions.

sell the lot, buy an e60 545i and that 4x4 you were thinking about.  "suits you, sir"

sorted!

• Like 1

(I'm not biased!)

On 5/27/2017 at 2:43 PM, gjm said:

*snip* 

Now, the 320d does have more performance, both in terms of power and torque. The trade-off is that this is for commuting on roads where I can normally maintain 90-100km/h for a reasonable period of time; power and torque are less important.

This ^^^^

I do 40000 kms a year with my kids sport. At least 90% is cruising at 80-100kmh and the '07 2l Focus we ended up buying works out the same as an e46 320d using their factory figures (plus 15% to make it more realistic) when buying 95. If I buy 91 it's $200 a year cheaper but then the engine sounds like a babies rattle when pulling away at low revs ;)