Sign in to follow this  
Worksie

Big Oops!

1 hour ago, martyyyn said:

This ^^^^

I do 40000 kms a year with my kids sport. At least 90% is cruising at 80-100kmh and the '07 2l Focus we ended up buying works out the same as an e46 320d using their factory figures (plus 15% to make it more realistic) when buying 95. If I buy 91 it's $200 a year cheaper but then the engine sounds like a babies rattle when pulling away at low revs ;) 

The important thing to remember is that the 320d has far better performance without a massive drop in economy, when compared to the 318i. If I get stuck in traffic - not uncommon - then the economy of the 318i takes a big hit. The 320d less so. Equally, spirited back road driving in the 320d sees economy drop to (say) 8l/100km, while the 318i will want 11, 12 or more.

The economy argument applies in one specific situation, the one where I am able to drive at a constant speed for some distance. For the use I'm making of the car, that is relevant, For most people, it probably won't be.

9 hours ago, gjm said:

The important thing to remember is that the 320d has far better performance without a massive drop in economy, when compared to the 318i. If I get stuck in traffic - not uncommon - then the economy of the 318i takes a big hit. The 320d less so. Equally, spirited back road driving in the 320d sees economy drop to (say) 8l/100km, while the 318i will want 11, 12 or more.

The economy argument applies in one specific situation, the one where I am able to drive at a constant speed for some distance. For the use I'm making of the car, that is relevant, For most people, it probably won't be.

this is true.The 120 d did about 6.5 l 100 k round town.A trip would just about always yeild 5.5.And it hardly ever varied from that.Stop start traffic seemed to make hardly any difference,And there always(except when you have to lift  for a bit)torque.Very steep sharp turns would require first gear and a bit of clutch slip,otherwise.......nothingYou have to learn to lift of early and get the power on early

• Like 1