Sign in to follow this  
murrayafc

Ruff Running

Hello

I changed the oil and plugs today and noticed the old plugs were pretty oily. I have also had a ruff running issue which has got gradually worse. the code reader says multiple misfires and also a MAF code. I'm going to strip and clean the MAF but do you think the valve cover gasket needs done im guessing so due to the oily plugs? im going to sell the car but wont sell it until i know its running right. Any other reason the plugs could be oily? it runs great and I use it as my daily just need to let it run then switch on and off to get it running right. when its misfiring Ive got no power.

Any advice appreciated.,

1 hour ago, murrayafc said:

...Any advice appreciated.,

I'd advise you to post more information on the affected vehicle, presumably your 525? What year/engine/km's will help us advise you if anything typical for the life stage and age. 

Sorry yes that would be helpful. 525i 2002 auto and it's done 175,000km

Cheers

yep M54 standard leak points are the valve cover gasket, the oil filter housing gasket, and the power steering reservoir.  Your rough running could be vacuum leaks (they're also par for the course).... have you had the vehicle scanned and diagnosed?  May save you throwing parts at it, and (quite possibly) a replacement brake booster (if your PCV system provides the gift of oil via the vacuum lines)...

also some of your coils may be getting crappy at this stage too (if they've not already been replaced).  Again, scanning and solid diagnosis will help.

HTH

Cheers, I've got a scanner but it's only a cheap one, ive got afew spare coils lying about so will swap some over, think I'll check the state of the valve cover aswell I've got the bonus of not needing it on the road just now so can slowly tackle some jobs. Cheers for the advice.

Get it properly scanned by someone with the proper gear and the knowledge - it will save you lots of money.

Glenn at Botany Motor Worx is a forum sponsor and is recommended.

• Like 2

^^^ This.