Sign in to follow this  
new2thisgame

335i 2006 red steering lock sign after dead battery

Hi team,

my battery went dead, and since charging  i have the red steering lock sign. key will not remain in the dashboard.

can anyone help reset the code so i can drive this beautiful car high maintenance car

or any other suggestions.

so far i have MHD flasher, which shows the code : 2ab4   DME: DME internal Fault ram checksum 

I live  in Mt roskill Auckland.   help

022 4 585 475 

bmw.jpg

Are you sure the battery is completely charged? Tried clearing the code with mhd i'm assuming? I know these things are extremely sensitive to battery voltage so make sure the battery hasn't dropped a cell or something

Edited by navin117

also, if you end up installing new battery on the e9x series, you'll need to code for it.

What charger did you use ?? AGM batteries will not charge properly with a trickle charger. They need 14.5-15 volts to charge them correctly. If the battery is more than 4-5 years old it's probably had it anyway. The smart battery system needs the correct type/ size battery to work correctly and will need registering or coding if you change the battery type/Ah . If you have done something wrong you'll need a tow truck

• Like 1

On 2017-5-27 at 1:17 PM, navin117 said:

Are you sure the battery is completely charged? Tried clearing the code with mhd i'm assuming? I know these things are extremely sensitive to battery voltage so make sure the battery hasn't dropped a cell or something

yes tried clearing  with mhd, I will drop battery off to a charging store. then try and start car when fully charged. 

"DME: DME internal Fault ram checksum "
That hints at an incomplete flash. Try flash again, if that fails do a full restore (flash stock ROM) in MHD.

Just resetting a code doesn't make the issue that caused it go away... 

Might be more effective to hook up with another car's battery than using a charger.

Also you can reduce battery drain while flashing by pulling the low pressure fuel pump fuse, it's fuse 70 in this car. I frequently get away with doing the full 30 min flash in MHD without a charger by doing this...
For some reason the flash process makes that pump run the whole time. 

Note this is assuming an MHD flash was involved. If not, then this probably isn't the issue. 

Edited by Matth5

On 5/30/2017 at 6:40 PM, Matth5 said:

Also you can reduce battery drain while flashing by pulling the low pressure fuel pump fuse, it's fuse 70 in this car. I frequently get away with doing the full 30 min flash in MHD without a charger by doing this...
For some reason the flash process makes that pump run the whole time. 

YEs I noticed how prominent the pump noise was when I flashed the other day. My first flash did not work and the car wouldn't start so I reflashed the factory map then started from scratch again. It worked fine second time around. 

Anyway perhaps try flashing the original factory map and see what happens. (After the battery is sorted).