Sign in to follow this  
Aphexic

E36 black 328i sunroof + leather, $700 *headgasket*

Hi guys my wife's daily 328i has just bit the bullet, looks like a blown headgasket but could possibly be a stuck valve.

It's an auto 328i sedan with about 140,000kms on the clock, black leather interior, good tyres, sunroof works but sticks a little closing.

Would be a great donor car or just making some $$ off parting out, $700 and its yours.

Pickup in Glenfield.

Note: car will obviously need to be trailered/towed, unable to be driven in current condition, cheers!

20170526_172037.thumb.jpg.fc365970c8e2308880c27e2b482ed4c5.jpg

20170526_172053.thumb.jpg.2395b47d70d16fd1084366c7fc917409.jpg

20170526_172148.thumb.jpg.bf650de48ffddaf9243750756e043e73.jpg

Damn... if fricken transporters hadn't bumped their prices into the 4 figures from AKL to Chch id be all over this.

22 hours ago, EURO V8 said:

Damn... if fricken transporters hadn't bumped their prices into the 4 figures from AKL to Chch id be all over this.

$962 from Auckland to Christchurch

http://www.haulplus.co.nz/index.aspx

I'd be keen but would need to get it mobile in auckland.  sorry man would like to 'help out', just not in a position to.  #; )

12 hours ago, Olaf said:

I'd be keen but would need to get it mobile in auckland.  sorry man would like to 'help out', just not in a position to.  #; )

Fly up, replace the HG, drive home. Though that hinges massively on the assumption that it is only the HG.

Bonus points, you get style 68 wheels.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EURO V8 said:

Are you able to do a compression test? 

1 hour ago, *Glenn* said:

It would be better to do a leak down test

Leak down test has the advantage that you don't need to run the engine, or even turn it over more than once (if you're careful).

Twice Graham on a 4 stroke providing you have a set point TDC and know the firing order

Edited by *Glenn*
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, *Glenn* said:

Twice Graham on a 4 stroke providing you have a set point TDC and know the firing order

My bad.

Still, a lot better than compression testing.

Was it overheated?

Can it be driven if you stop every 5 minutes to fill up the water?

56 minutes ago, zero said:

Was it overheated?

Can it be driven if you stop every 5 minutes to fill up the water?

For that price, if you're in Auckland, pay a tow service eh.

Hahah wow so many emails from this thread!

The car wasn't overheated afaik, the coolant is gone but the temperature wasn't pegged.

My wife's recount of what happened was "suddenly there was a lot of white smoke out of the exhaust and it wasn't running right" so we parked it up and called the towie, has been sitting since last Friday

I'm not a mechanic by anymeans - but it seems like HG or maybe a stuck valve (but that wouldn't account for the missing coolant?), but the head had been replaced with a HellBM head about a year and a half ago sooooo..?

I don't have a compression tester, I could go buy one but honestly I can't be bothered dealing with it at the moment as it was a bit of an ordeal (had to go buy the Mrs a new car that same weekend for work on Monday, ugh.)

If you're interested in the car you can test it if you'd like and have a good inspection before buying.

The car starts but idles rough, sounds like it's down a cyl, but you guys would know way more about this stuff than I do.

I'm not sure about just driving and topping up the coolant every once and a while, but hey if you live on the edge you're welcome to try :D

Cheers!

Is there water in the oil?

On 01/06/2017 at 5:20 PM, Aphexic said:

...but the head had been replaced with a HellBM head about a year and a half ago sooooo..?

Unless you're a business then it's still under CGA warranty, why not give them a call?

• Like 1