Sign in to follow this  
Mada

E82 Brakes and Rotor replacement

Hey Lads,

So my 135 is telling me my rear brakes need to be done in 1100kms. Im planning on getting the parts from 0800 RACEBRAKES but i have a question. Does the sensor need replacing if i replace the pads and rotors? Or does it only need replacing if its worn right through? Assuming its the same for the fronts? I need to do those within 4500km's

Cheers!

The sensor is the least of your worries in terms of cost on a brake job.  They're a cheap part.  If it's cut - what brings up the 'flag' (dashboard light "your pads are getting low"), you replace it.  If it's newer 'condition-based servicing' in the e82, I'm clueless.

if your rear rotors are done (as in 'times up, you're done, replacement'), you might want to consider your parking brake hardware too.  I found on my e46 that my parking brake shoes were close to toasted when I replaced the rotors, prompting another parts purchase and subsequent removal of kit.

Sometimes it's more straightforward to leave it to the professionals, they'll replace what needs to be replaced.

HTH

3 minutes ago, Olaf said:

The sensor is the least of your worries in terms of cost on a brake job.  They're a cheap part.  If it's cut - what brings up the 'flag' (dashboard light "your pads are getting low"), you replace it.  If it's newer 'condition-based servicing' in the e82, I'm clueless.

if your rear rotors are done (as in 'times up, you're done, replacement'), you might want to consider your parking brake hardware too.  I found on my e46 that my parking brake shoes were close to toasted when I replaced the rotors, prompting another parts purchase and subsequent removal of kit.

Sometimes it's more straightforward to leave it to the professionals, they'll replace what needs to be replaced.

HTH

Yeah im not worried about the cost of the sensor, just wanted to know if i need to replace it if im doing the brakes before it actually tells me to, ie right now i still have 1100km's to go on them.

I'll be getting the parts fitted by a reputable place and wont be doing the job myself :)

Cheers for the heads up on the parking brake, ill mention that to the mechanic.

Is the 'replace in 1100kms' a condition-based warning from idrive or something?

You need to replace the progressive wear sensor and reset CBS with a proper scanner after the brakes are done to turn off the light. And it does have to be done, otherwise traction control light will also stay on with the brake warning light. The late model cars need to have this done every time pads are replaced

1 hour ago, Olaf said:

Is the 'replace in 1100kms' a condition-based warning from idrive or something?

Yeah it flashes up when i start the car (in the dash cluster) also shows the same 1100km in iDrive

20 minutes ago, *Glenn* said:

You need to replace the progressive wear sensor and reset CBS with a proper scanner after the brakes are done to turn off the light. And it does have to be done, otherwise traction control light will also stay on with the brake warning light. The late model cars need to have this done every time pads are replaced

Ok cheers man, best place to source those parts? RACEBRAKES dont do them. Assuming i can reset the CBS with MHD?

Do the pads have the machined area on them, which must be perfect otherwise the new sensor will break ??... I can supply new sensors

Edited by *Glenn*

6 hours ago, *Glenn* said:

Do the pads have the machined area on them, which must be perfect otherwise the new sensor will break ??... I can supply new sensors

Not sure as i have not purchased them yet. I cant remember the brand of the pads but they are whatever racebrakes recommend for street use on a 135. PM me about the sensors dude. Cheers