Sign in to follow this  
Olaf

545i Msport in CHC, $1 auction

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1336121199.htm

Interesting, really.  ex japan, imported 2011 with 80k kms on the clock.  it's an ///Msport (P337 M Sport package, S481 Sports Seats, 704 M sports suspension, S710 M Leather wheel, S715 M aero, S775 Anthracite headlining)... 

but are those 19" X5 rims?

Anyway, it's cheap, if the shillers don't spruik and over-boost the price.  175k kms, 2005, currently under $5k.

583511159.jpg

Two and half hours to go and just over 5k

I would hope it would at least double, surely this a 11k plus vehicle. Think those rims look sharp on this, sure I have seen them on a couple of other e60's. Think they're these:

http://www.bmwstylewheels.com/bmw/128

There's another down there with issues starting at 3k and buy now of 5k.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1340186597

Edited by My545

Buying one is the cheapest part hence price. 

2 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Buying one is the cheapest part hence price. 

I hear ya

• Like 1

at the risk of making myself unpopuar some of the things i hear about more modern BMW scare me silly.

I had my E34 for a long time.It was a 12 yr old car and 1bout 150 k when i bought it.In that time it failed to start ONCE.I gave up in disgust ,when i returned later it started and i drove home.MUch much later i suffered a blown head gasket,Not uncommon on the M30 with a long skinny ally head on an iron block.Apart from that all i ever did was put in petrol and feed it tyres and service it as per the service indicator lights.I sometimes had to top up the oil between services.

opposite my work is a aquantance with a "garage: and he is also a auto electrician with some experience and an auto logic ? "franchise".He has a constat stream of BMWs and some of the stories are sobering.One was a relatively new 3 series with an ebox fullof water.resulting in no start issues..Many recoding and new(some used) modules later it runs.To be fair i have never seen an e60 there...But i am truly afraid of "new" BMWs

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kiwi535 said:

But i am truly afraid of "new" BMWs

Many repairers are too, instead of happy discussions its quite often eulogies 

• Like 2

ok Glenn i gonna ask if you are after a spiritual successor to an e34 535 is (pref manual) what do i buy? 

17 minutes ago, *Glenn* said:

Many repairers are too, instead of happy discussions its quite often eulogies 

Is the situation really that bad with 'newer' BMWs? What counts as newer in this context? E60s? Newer than E46/E39s all rubbish? Is any of this related to BMWs getting more complicated and repairers not keeping up with evolving technologies?

• Like 1

He's selling after four months of ownership though? Slightly suspicious methinks

1 hour ago, kiwi535 said:

ok Glenn i gonna ask if you are after a spiritual successor to an e34 535 is (pref manual) what do i buy? 

E34 535i and save the coin for fuel 

1 hour ago, Gabe79 said:

Is the situation really that bad with 'newer' BMWs? What counts as newer in this context? E60s? Newer than E46/E39s all rubbish? Is any of this related to BMWs getting more complicated and repairers not keeping up with evolving technologies?

I look at it in terms of computing power. The 90's is where computers started to develop rapidly, compare 90's home PC with a modern one. Cars followed with manufacturers like BMW implementing the latest gizmos and gimmicks and the technology allowed. Imo late 90's tech (E39 & E46 era) had a good balance when it came to performance vs complexity. Problem is the focus is becoming more and more about how many electronic "features" can be put in a car and marketed while reducing quality where it matters (or used to), longevity? longsmetivty 

Geesss finally some of you guys are waking up.  After ten years with the marque for me  bmw stopped being a car the driver could connect with when they finished the e39 ,e46 series. After that it all went down hill to many gizmos and gimmicks each trying to out do each with extra hp, torgue and fancy drive systems  etc etc.

8 minutes ago, allan said:

Geesss finally some of you guys are waking up.  After ten years with the marque for me  bmw stopped being a car the driver could connect with when they finished the e39 ,e46 series. After that it all went down hill to many gizmos and gimmicks each trying to out do each with extra hp, torgue and fancy drive systems  etc etc.

not all about just gizmos and gadgets Allan.Some of it is trying to make cars more efficent..I take your point though Listen to any car ad now and its all about the bluetooth, connectivity,  and how many usb ports its got..Almost nothing to do with the quality or dynamics or even active or passive safety.

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

E34 535i and save the coin for fuel 

I look at it in terms of computing power. The 90's is where computers started to develop rapidly, compare 90's home PC with a modern one. Cars followed with manufacturers like BMW implementing the latest gizmos and gimmicks and the technology allowed. Imo late 90's tech (E39 & E46 era) had a good balance when it came to performance vs complexity. Problem is the focus is becoming more and more about how many electronic "features" can be put in a car and marketed while reducing quality where it matters (or used to), longevity? longsmetivty 

for me there is nothing wrong with what they are actually trying to do,its the fact that those things are not durable..I guess its  actually about cost and planned obsolesence

Given the known trouble points of the e46, I'd prefer not to think that it was an exercise in planned obsolescence.  My opinion is that it's more a case of introducing new materials and techniques that were previously unproven.  Time has shown that they're now proven (to have a shorter, finite, life).   To adopt a contrary view would be somewhat cynical.

the e60 is certainly significantly more complex.  There's more risk with modern highly-complex cars for long-term ownership.  Thankfully there are ways to mitigate these costs in the form of preventative maintenance, and MBI.  

Surely we're not as naive as to expect that a car in the order of 5-13 years old that has depreciated to less than 10% of its original cost, has no downside? ?

I have learned a lot about E90/92s in the past few months and I am not as worried now as I was. Yes there is plenty to go wrong but in my case the solutions were quite straightforward, but I guess that's easy to say in hindsight especially as I tried to fix everything else probably knowing what the actual issue was. The reward is in my case good horsepower in a pretty good chassis. If this maintenance burden is too much and I do understand if it is, then the options are Japan and for a little while longer Australia. 

• Like 1