Sign in to follow this  
drtimwright

Model recommendations...

Hi all,

It's time to change my car so thought I'd ask here for some thoughts. Basically, I want to spend about 20K (+whatever I can get for current car) and get something that's not too old, has a bit of grunt, and has 4 doors (kids!). Currently am driving a '98 E36 328i cab - which might be for sale soon...

The 2011 X1 2.0 turbo diesel looks pretty good - does anyone have any thoughts on the X1 or any other suggestions?

Tim

• Like 1

Hi Tim, you still commuting over the hill each day?

I sure am! Well, 4 days a week :)

Tim

x1 will be on the small side .The 2.0d has suprising grunt.

yes, you'll be surprised how fast your young children grow up and need more space.

I guess the first consideration is "do I want/need 4 wheel drive for the conditions on the hill in winter?"  If not, a larger/newer 3er is probably sufficient... or a 5er.

If you do need 4 wheel drive, you're probably in X3 or X5 territory at that budget range.

You're spoilt for choice on power plants; I suspect something like an e90 330i ///M would provide plenty of fun for the daily run, without some of the delicate features/headaches of 335i ownership.  It's big enough for your kids in the back for 5 years yet (if you keep your vehicles long-term).  They're cheap enough that you can keep the e36 as a pampered summer fun car, and alternate transport when your main car is in for servicing.

e60 530d?  Let it burble over the hill in torque-monster mode.  

e60 545i?  Have fun on your commute, just tell yourself it's all a business expense as your accountant wisely advised you when your company purchased the car for your use.

You can find F10's a bit above your $20k limit.

X5 V8?  plenty to choose from under $20k.  MBI near-compulsory.  With your commute, the 3.0 petrol model would see you at the automotive guidance counsellor voicing your concerns that she's going out boozing at lunchtimes, such is her thirst.  Diesels more scarce at $20k.  As said in the recent threads about X5's, you need some coin set aside for maintenance.

X3?  Hit with the ugly stick, but probably very well suited to your intended use!

Hope that helps!

Edited by Olaf
punctuation

or, alternately... some model recommendations:

ogsupes.jpg

Kate-Moss.jpg

reuters04?videoId=115736525

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Olaf said:

or, alternately... some model recommendations:

reuters04?videoId=115736525

This one is awesome!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, 3pedals said:

You might find the wife is less enthusiastic about some of Olafs' model recommendations

Provided with a choice between their spouses looking at models of the super variety, and Rod Stewart's pastime, 98% of wives interviewed chose supermodels.

lyn-model-rly.jpg

"a model railway, yesterday... or possibly some time in the 1950's"

Edited by Olaf
images

34 minutes ago, 3pedals said:

You might find the wife is less enthusiastic about some of Olafs' model recommendations

:)

the wife has given me instructions 'something not old that we can keep for some time'. I'm interpreting that as "2011 or newer for European, 2013 or newer for Japanese". For BMW, trademe has told me it is either an X1 or 116i. And I do quite like how the X1 looks - going to be test driving one later today!

(the 2016 Nissan Leaf is getting a look in - but that would require re-wiring the carport. As are some other small new jap hatchbacks with good reviews - but personally I'll get more enjoyment from something with a three letter name that starts with B and ends with MW. )

A 2011-13 or VF Holden Commodore SV6 sedan or Sportwagon would be on my list. Or SS-V Sportwagon ;).

My picks for a 'family wagon' commuter:

BMW/Euro - E60/F10 wagon, X3 or X5, Volvo XC60 or 90, Audi, Merc

Jap - Mazda 6, Mitsi Outlander, Honda Accord Euro

Other - Ford Territory diesel

• Like 1

This seems squarely in your range, but slightly above budget 

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1337593396.htm

Or the 523i if you have slightly more money from the cabrio sale. 

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1306698398.htm

Edited by lord_jagganath

the 2.0 diesel has 350 nm  of torque and the 3.0 petrol has 300 nm torque.The 2.0 diesel is far from a constipated turd,it would be very comparable to the 3.0 petrol in all normal road going situations .

The petrol engine will be quieter and smoother and more horsepower and a wider rev range.But as a long range commuter the 2.0 diesel will be very good.You will prolly be in the low 6l 100 ks,if not for the hilli would say in the 5s

5 hours ago, drtimwright said:

:)

the wife has given me instructions 'something not old that we can keep for some time'. I'm interpreting that as "2011 or newer for European, 2013 or newer for Japanese".

(if it's a company car) do have a talk with your accountant; in your accountant's view it'll be a mathematical discussion around how much you spend, and how long you keep it.

I drove an e90 320D - and it was somewhat constipated.  had a big rubber band that needed a lot of winding up.  Getting back in to the e46 325i, my whole family said "oh this is so much better".  I've not tried a 330D, I'm sure that'd be a lot better.

well maybe my chipped manual 120d has misled me.It was not a rocketship but it was far from pedestrian

Just now, 3pedals said:

No don't they don't understand cars and they are not that good with numbers- their expertise is in developing complicated ways to express simple things.

in which case you'd find a better accountant, then.

Just now, kiwi535 said:

well maybe my chipped manual 120d has misled me.It was not a rocketship but it was far from pedestrian

chipped, manual, and 1er are all significant differences to the pudding I drove! :)

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I bought a car today. Sadly I was "sensible" and bought a Honda. Jazz. RS. 2014. 11K on the clock. (yes, 11K). I have to say, that 1.5 litre naturally aspirated engine has a surprising amount of power - it is super fun to drive!

The dealer offered me a 2K trade-in on the '98 E36 328i Cab. So I didn't do a trade-in and will try to sell privately. Or 'have trouble selling' and keep it for bimmersport events :)

On a different note, while I appreciate the photo of the modals above, it's probably something to avoid if we want more females involved in bimmersport!

Tim

Edited by drtimwright

Congrats Tim on the Jazz purchase. Its always surprising to hear (and see) what constitutes someone else's sensible - I am only joking of course. Hope you enjoy your new ride!

1 hour ago, 3pedals said:

... their expertise is in developing complicated ways to express simple things.

does this sound familiar to anyone?... ;)

• Like 2

Just now, treone said:

does this sound familiar to anyone?... ;)

Oddly, as a computer programmer, my expertise is in developing simple ways to express complicated things!

Tim

• Like 1

Just now, drtimwright said:

Oddly, as a computer programmer, my expertise is in developing simple ways to express complicated things!

Tim

As it should always be!

My comment was in subtle reference to other comments in the thread - and again I am joking so no offence intending :D.

Seriously though I have read that a Jazz Sport is a fun drive. Didn't the previous Top Gear presenters give it a rave review?

16 minutes ago, treone said:

My comment was in subtle reference to other comments in the thread - and again I am joking so no offence intending :D.

Seriously though I have read that a Jazz Sport is a fun drive. Didn't the previous Top Gear presenters give it a rave review?

I know - accountants do seem to make things much harder than they should be! And, yes, the top gear presenters gave it a rave review. That's why when I saw it sitting there I said 'I'll test drive that one too' fully not expecting to get out of it with a massive grin on my face :)

The finance side of things was interesting. They added in 'gap insurance' and 'mechanical insurance' to the finance price without telling me. And the mechanical insurance price for 3 years on a 2013 Honda was $2200 - whereas I paid $1800 for 3 years insurance on a 1998 BMW! (still 1 year left if anyone is interested...)

Tim

Congrats on your new purchase, they're a pretty eye-catching small car, and come in some pretty cool colours too.  

Have to ask:  WTF is 'gap insurance'?  I'd be livid if any sales droid was atttempting to ream me with pricing.  I trust you sorted them out quick smart.  

3 minutes ago, Olaf said:

Congrats on your new purchase, they're a pretty eye-catching small car, and come in some pretty cool colours too.  

Have to ask:  WTF is 'gap insurance'?  I'd be livid if any sales droid was atttempting to ream me with pricing.  I trust you sorted them out quick smart.  

Gap insurance is in case you total it and have finance, it'll cover the cost of the finance. Basically, with gap insurance, if you total it and owe any money, you walk away and the debt is paid.