Sign in to follow this  
drtimwright

Model recommendations...

4 minutes ago, Gabe79 said:

Gap insurance is in case you total it and have finance, it'll cover the cost of the finance. Basically, with gap insurance, if you total it and owe any money, you walk away and the debt is paid.

Correct. And they might give you a small amount for a deposit on your next car. It covers the "gap" between your regular insurance and the finance costs.

4 hours ago, drtimwright said:

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I bought a car today. Sadly I was "sensible" and bought a Honda. Jazz. RS. 2014. 11K on the clock. (yes, 11K). I have to say, that 1.5 litre naturally aspirated engine has a surprising amount of power - it is super fun to drive!

Please hand in your man card to the admin team at reception.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, drtimwright said:

Correct. And they might give you a small amount for a deposit on your next car. It covers the "gap" between your regular insurance and the finance costs.

jeez, I dunno.  I'm such a man of the world, :huh: yet I've never encountered some of these things.  nearest I've come to financing a car is a personal loan in my early 20's.  Since then I've always paid cash for cars.  sort of like like Frankie Oatway, only without the east end boxer bluster or shaved head B)

40 minutes ago, Olaf said:

jeez, I dunno.  I'm such a man of the world, :huh: yet I've never encountered some of these things.  nearest I've come to financing a car is a personal loan in my early 20's.  Since then I've always paid cash for cars.  sort of like like Frankie Oatway, only without the east end boxer bluster or shaved head B)

Gap insurance is really common for leased cars in the US. Some lending institutions mandate its purchase even. I get your point about paying cash, I hate debt too. :)

On ‎4‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 5:31 PM, drtimwright said:

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I bought a car today. Sadly I was "sensible" and bought a Honda. Jazz. RS. 2014. 11K on the clock. (yes, 11K). I have to say, that 1.5 litre naturally aspirated engine has a surprising amount of power - it is super fun to drive!

The dealer offered me a 2K trade-in on the '98 E36 328i Cab. So I didn't do a trade-in and will try to sell privately. Or 'have trouble selling' and keep it for bimmersport events :)

Congrats on the purchase Tim - the Jazz does have a good rep.

Really hope you do keep the 328i as your fun car and stay in the BimmerSport community :) and it's been good having you along at various meets. We have a few roadies coming up too ....

36 minutes ago, TermiPeteNZ said:

Congrats on the purchase Tim - the Jazz does have a good rep.

Really hope you do keep the 328i as your fun car and stay in the BimmerSport community :) and it's been good having you along at various meets. We have a few roadies coming up too ....

Well, I don't think there is a HondaSport.co.nz forum ... so in worst case I'll glue a BMW logo over the H and come along!

Tim

• Like 1

indeed, congratulations on a fast decision, Tim?  Often peops expend such energy and time agonising over a simple purchase (I'm guilty of this too), meanwhile life zips past... driving a Jazz!

BTW what colour is it?  

I'm intrigued, I've not driven a Jazz RS (or any Jazz), might have to broaden my mind and visit a dealer.

Great plan being able to hang on to the e36.  Keeping it clean and tidy, well maintained, enjoy it  for those days you reserve for enjoying a drive.  it'll be a valuable classic in ten years as there'll be sod-all genuine clean tidy e36 remaining, let alone a topless 328i.

How are your first impressions of the hill commute?

Edited by Olaf
grammar

6 hours ago, Olaf said:

indeed, congratulations on a fast decision, Tim?  Often peops expend such energy and time agonising over a simple purchase (I'm guilty of this too), meanwhile life zips past... driving a Jazz!

BTW what colour is it?  

I'm intrigued, I've not driven a Jazz RS (or any Jazz), might have to broaden my mind and visit a dealer.

Great plan being able to hang on to the e36.  Keeping it clean and tidy, well maintained, enjoy it  for those days you reserve for enjoying a drive.  it'll be a valuable classic in ten years as there'll be sod-all genuine clean tidy e36 remaining, let alone a topless 328i.

Purple for the win!

I pick it up on Friday so not sure how the hill is yet - will keep you in the loop (the dealer has to make a couple of minor fixes to it and Friday is the first day I am nearby to pick it up.).

If you do go for a test drive in one, don't use the Jazz - it has a 1.3l engine. The Jazz RS and other models have the 1.5l engine. Oh, I know someone who just bought a Jazz RS. They are happy to give you a drive :)

Tim

• Like 1

Here is a pic!

honda no licence.jpg

• Like 1

On 2017-6-7 at 5:55 AM, Olaf said:

You know, I am genuinely in awe of the Honda engineers now. The little thing eats that hill for breakfast. A return trip Hutt to Masterton clocks in at an average of 5.6l/100km (with aggressive hill driving).

Of course, there's no substitute for solid german engineering. A roaring inline-6 engine, the smoothness of the ride, having the wind blow through your hair (or over my hairless head) and that 'you are in control of this huge beast' feeling you get from the 328. But as far as speed, nimbility, and fun goes - the Honda is surprisingly good.

Tim

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, drtimwright said:

You know, I am genuinely in awe of the Honda engineers now. The little thing eats that hill for breakfast. A return trip Hutt to Masterton clocks in at an average of 5.6l/100km (with aggressive hill driving).

Of course, there's no substitute for solid german engineering. A roaring inline-6 engine, the smoothness of the ride, having the wind blow through your hair (or over my hairless head) and that 'you are in control of this huge beast' feeling you get from the 328. But as far as speed, nimbility, and fun goes - the Honda is surprisingly good.

Tim

Glad you're enjoying it - different driving experiences increase the enjoyment of each - certainly find this between the X5 and the M5!