Sign in to follow this  
Dn540

S124 Getrag Conversion

Hey guys,

Huge part of my wishlist came true at the weekend, got my hands on a 717.404 (Getrag 275Z) dog-leg box. This is the box used in the 2.3-16 Cosworth W201's.

I wanted this box for it's dog-leg config. and also it's power rating. 

I'm putting this into my '95 E320T, kit isn't complete however I'll be grabbing bits and pieces for the conversion as funds allow. Parts list at the moment is custom flywheel from Rennsport, custom driveshaft, new master/slave cylinders and a clutch. Brass bushings for linkages and shifter unit will also be ordered to replace the worn out MB bushings that weren't that great to begin with anyway.

The shifter I got with it was meant to be the dog-leg version however it wasn't, so I'm now faced with the near impossible task of finding a shifter unit for it. Luckily I stumbled upon a thread on another forum where a guy has converted his standard shifter to dog-leg spec using new levers and a shift gate plate etc. Found the parts on this website however I don't know if I should trust it lol mbwholesalepartsonline.com, looks relatively legit and has an address but who knows.

Thought this may be of interest to some, and I'll post up some photos as I go along.

DSC_2087.JPG

DSC_2098.JPG

DSC_0213~2.jpg

Edited by Dn540
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Eagle said:

Nice. Reminded me of this one on trademe http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/mercedesbenz/auction-1335628584.htm

Pelican are quite good at sourcing old parts

That motor alone would net him the asking price overseas. I bet that's great to drive!

I hadn't thought of trying Pelican parts, I'll try them. The MB wholesale site just makes me weary as no other site has the bits I need, seems too easy.

EDIT: Pelican DO have the parts I need, slightly more expensive but I trust them. Awesome!

Edited by Dn540

Have you tried talking to Kayne Barrie Motorsport?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zero said:

Have you tried talking to Kayne Barrie Motorsport?

Cheers for the info! I've sent him a message to see if he has one/knows some one. While on his page I spotted he had what looks like a brand new box sitting on the bench for a customer.

So I ended up buying the parts I needed from Pelican, their special dealer parts service is awesome. While waiting on those to arrive I noticed they wouldn't fit my shifter I have here which is an early type with reverse to the right. Also internals are slightly different, so I'd been trawling eBay for a few days ready to buy a W124 shifter for about 90 euro delivered but then last night just before bed I had another quick look and a 124 shifter had just been listed for 60 euro delivered and this one also came with the shifter frame, boot and knob which I also needed. Don't ya just love right time, right place purchases. Now I've got all the parts needed to make a complete shifter that works.

Just need to track down some Delrin bushes.....

EDIT: Just received an email from them, one part is only available from the main MB warehouse in Germany and has no ETA for fulfilment. It's never simple is it...

Edited by Dn540
  • Like 1