Sign in to follow this  
agent75

E30 M40 to M

Hi there

I have started the project thread on the projects page but have a short but sweet list of questions (I have browsed the forums but to no avail)

will e36 medium case diff fit in e30 which currently has small case?  What is the prefered ratio for medium case in E30 with M52 (it will see some track time among its duties)

What is the best radiator for E30 which will soon be getting an M52b28? - I currently have tiny and rooted E30 M40 radiator

I have a full E36 328 exhaust system - Is this adaptable to the E30 or is it best to get an exhaust from an M20 powered e30 (my M40 one definitely will not work!!).  I've bought a welder so may need to test my skills!!

no diff wont fit , you need a medium case e30 diff to fit a e30 ,

check out the photos of them to compare

you can use a med z3 diff , or a e28, e24 med case but will need the rear cover from e30 med diff

you can swap ratios around in some diffs of the same size etc

diff ratio ? that will depend what gearbox you are going to use etc

maybe 3.64 3.73 if using a overdrive gearbox

or low numbers like 3.15 etc if using a 1;1 top gear type box .

I used the radiator from a M42 because I didn't have the mounts for the ext water res plus I liked the cleanliness of the incorporate res. Got the biggest electric fan that would fit (16" from memory?) and deleted the viscous fan. 

People have retrofitted the M52B28 exhaust to fit. I mocked mine up and it seemed to follow the tunnel alright but would hang low and look abit off. It does contact the subframe and RHS lollipop mount. After some research I opted for 2-1 then 2.5" all the way through to a resonater then rear muffler. As it sits now, the exhaust isn't the lowest part of the car. 

If you're in akl you can pop in for a look at my setup. 

11 hours ago, BM WORLD said:

no diff wont fit , you need a medium case e30 diff to fit a e30 ,

check out the photos of them to compare

you can use a med z3 diff , or a e28, e24 med case but will need the rear cover from e30 med diff

you can swap ratios around in some diffs of the same size etc

diff ratio ? that will depend what gearbox you are going to use etc

maybe 3.64 3.73 if using a overdrive gearbox

or low numbers like 3.15 etc if using a 1;1 top gear type box .

Thank you.  Yes i am using 5 speed (getrag 220) from M40.  i will PM you regarding some bits and pieces i require soon too

8 hours ago, Cammsport said:

I used the radiator from a M42 because I didn't have the mounts for the ext water res plus I liked the cleanliness of the incorporate res. Got the biggest electric fan that would fit (16" from memory?) and deleted the viscous fan. 

People have retrofitted the M52B28 exhaust to fit. I mocked mine up and it seemed to follow the tunnel alright but would hang low and look abit off. It does contact the subframe and RHS lollipop mount. After some research I opted for 2-1 then 2.5" all the way through to a resonater then rear muffler. As it sits now, the exhaust isn't the lowest part of the car. 

If you're in akl you can pop in for a look at my setup. 

Thank you Cam

Do you mean the E36 M42 one like this?: 

https://www.rexbo.eu/hella/radiator-engine-cooling-8mk376713124?c=100103&at=48

I appreciate the offer of a look at your set up but i am in CHCH - I'm a wee way off exhausts at the moment too :-D i will likely scrap the e36 one and install something custom but will cross that bridge when i come to it

Yip same design but I'm sure it was bigger. I'll have to measure it. 

15 hours ago, Cammsport said:

Yip same design but I'm sure it was bigger. I'll have to measure it. 

That would be appreciated. You aren't cam146 on trade me are you? Your name and listings look suspiciously like someone doing an m52 swap!! I saw the dme pop up. If it's yours, what needs to be done to it to run car... Maybe with an upgraded cop for some more horses!! Who did you get to program yours? Cost? 

For the DME to run? Nothing. It doesn't have ews so it's good to go in a m50. I got it to do a obd1 + m50 manifold conversion on my M52 e30 but decided against. 

21 hours ago, agent75 said:

That would be appreciated. You aren't cam146 on trade me are you? Your name and listings look suspiciously like someone doing an m52 swap!! I saw the dme pop up. If it's yours, what needs to be done to it to run car... Maybe with an upgraded cop for some more horses!! Who did you get to program yours? Cost? 

I can do EWS deletes for M52 if you need..

1 hour ago, polley said:

I can do EWS deletes for M52 if you need..

Can you also reset auto to manual 

1 hour ago, 1BMF said:

Can you also reset auto to manual 

Part of that is coded in the EWS module, can be done though.

6 hours ago, Cammsport said:

For the DME to run? Nothing. It doesn't have ews so it's good to go in a m50. I got it to do a obd1 + m50 manifold conversion on my M52 e30 but decided against. 

Have you decided to leave the M52 manifold on?  I have been umming and aaahhing about that too as I am putting M52 in my car.  So would this computer run the M52 with M52 manifold OR WOULD I HAVE TO GET IT REMAPPED ANYWAY SO MIGHT AS WELL JUST GET MY COMPUTER DONE

Yip left the engine 100% and am more than happy with it. Completely night and day in comparison to my M40B16 time bomb. 

I don't think you'd be able to get this DME to run a factory M52. I could be wrong. Best bet is to get a Siemens Ms41.0 and either get an EWSII module + transponder + key set (headache), or have the ews deleted from the DME. 

On 6/8/2017 at 11:21 PM, Cammsport said:

Yip left the engine 100% and am more than happy with it. Completely night and day in comparison to my M40B16 time bomb. 

I don't think you'd be able to get this DME to run a factory M52. I could be wrong. Best bet is to get a Siemens Ms41.0 and either get an EWSII module + transponder + key set (headache), or have the ews deleted from the DME. 

For better or worse I've just bought an m50 intake, may not install it but it's an option... Does this make your computer a viable option for me now? Did you manage to see what radiator you are running? Also, out of interest, What changes did you need to do to your dash cluster. Does it all work out do i need to get a 325 one or something?

Edited by agent75

It all works except for the econometer. Change coding plug to a 6cyl one to get rev counter reading correctly

• Like 1

also your temperature gauge doesn't work, you will need to come up with a solution for that.

• Like 1

Agent75, the link for the radiator above is the same as mine. It seems to do a good job. Running water wetter and bmw blue coolant (hasn't seen a sustained thrashing around a track yet so time will tell). 

1 hour ago, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

also your temperature gauge doesn't work, you will need to come up with a solution for that.

Andy do you know what the story is with the temp gauge? I had a heart attack when I first drove my E30 M52 as the needle skyrocketed towards the red. The needle bounces around and doesn't seem to reflect the actual temp. I've used a trustworthy Fluke Infrared Thermometer (accuracy is +/-1%) and temp measured ~90°c (88° thermostat). Also since the fan only runs intermittently on warm days (88° switch). 

Could be the grounding nut on the back of your cluster. 

Pull out cluster, you'll see a Cooper nut on the back of the gauge. Tighten that up. 

• Like 1