Sign in to follow this  
martyyyn

Can I drive an E53 X5 without the dash cluster ?

The X5 is finally going in for new doors and front guard tomorrow and will be away for a week.

I'd like to have the LCD in the dash cluster repaired whilst it's out of action and seem to remember you can drive the car for a limited amount of miles before the tamper light shows, can anyone confirm that ? From memory it was around 100 or 120 miles or something.

If that's the case, who are we sending our dashes to these days ? It's been a long time since I had an E39 done and I don't even remember who did it.

• Like 1

Will get some codes, namely the airbag one. That would need to be reset with the correct software. 

supposedly 200kms...

The tamper light shows if the LCM and Cluster VINs don't match.

IF the LCM and the Cluster are more than 200KMs apart when you reinstall the cluster, you get a fault. once it's updated, you can clear the code.

I wouldn't push to close to 200 kms either - I think the milage is updated generally every 100 kms between modules, so if you're at the 99km stage, then you only have 101 until the next update, that may put them over 200kms different.

BMW Scanner 1.4 can be used to push the cluster milage UP (only) to match the LCM mileage.

Just park it at the panel shop, pull the cluster then, unplug the ABS too - no milages recorded at all :-)

Just be aware of no ABS, Traction, Stabilty etc!

Have you got software to clear the codes after???

Thanks Allan, I knew I remembered something like that. As it was the X5 was returned today after only three days away. I'll have to take care of it another time and will just leave it on the driveway whilst the cluster is away.

• Like 1