e46v12

My E46 V12 6speed swap

How much hp are you shooting for?

Don't really have a specific number really, they say factory they come out around 340hp. So hopefully with cams, ITBs, equal length exhaust, convert to coils and running a stand alone ecu maybe around 380-400ish?

well see when we get there i guess.

Whats the engine mounting like with these in an E46? I gather you'll have to do a fair bit of sump work? 

I would also be interested in what you will do about exhaust manifolds.

I have even contemplated taking a grinder to my inner guards and fabricating new ones to allow a better fit of a better exhaust.

You can't in NZ Nathan. The inner guards are structural and support the strut mount. You would need an engineering report, design and certification for any modification

• Like 2

Hi Michael i'd say it would be just some custom engine mounts really just like any other swap and yes the sump does need to be modified. This is why i have gone with the dry sump setup, if you have a look at the pictures i posted of the sump that i am getting, it makes for so much more room for sump clearance as there pretty much is no sump.

So in saying that Nathan this will allow me to mount the motor as low as possible which i'm hoping to give me a bit more room to make some decent exhaust headers. worst case make something similar to the s85 v10 manifolds  

5939a74d659aa_v10manifold.thumb.jpg.67c7bb9e70b6ee65d5dfd407f37239c6.jpg

Edited by e46v12
  • Like 3

On 6/7/2017 at 8:40 PM, e46v12 said:

haha no worries there GLENN i love a bit of banter myself.

Michael it's a m73 model and agree they could do with a bit more power. Am hoping to get it looking and sounding similar to this guys one on youtube

but love the sound of this v10 itb. would give my first born to get my v12 to sound like this :) 

Drool, subscribed to your thread! excited to see what you do with this project. That S85 sound is just wow in that video you shared 

Thanks EUROHO glad to share this build with like minded people and YES! that v10 has a gorgeous sound.

7 hours ago, e46v12 said:

Hi Michael i'd say it would be just some custom engine mounts really just like any other swap and yes the sump does need to be modified. This is why i have gone with the dry sump setup, if you have a look at the pictures i posted of the sump that i am getting, it makes for so much more room for sump clearance as there pretty much is no sump.

So in saying that Nathan this will allow me to mount the motor as low as possible which i'm hoping to give me a bit more room to make some decent exhaust headers. worst case make something similar to the s85 v10 manifolds  

I understand that the exhaust manifolds on the m62 are the bottleneck (happy to be corrected if wrong), so I imagine they could also be the bottleneck on the m73.

7 hours ago, e46v12 said:

Christ... that picture reminds me of the rabbit I shot this morning with the magnum....intestines everywhere

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, zero said:

I understand that the exhaust manifolds on the m62 are the bottleneck (happy to be corrected if wrong), so I imagine they could also be the bottleneck on the m73.

M62 is a V8..M73 is a V12

• Like 1

8 hours ago, e46v12 said:

Boy?!! that looks tight to get the nuts on the bolts when installing those. would you pre fit before installing the engine or after.

Nice project by the way

1 hour ago, *Glenn* said:

M62 is a V8..M73 is a V12

Yes, I'm aware of that.

• Like 1

Hey ZERO i'm not sure what m62 manifolds look like but the m73 v12 ones are a 3 into 1 then with 2 sets into another one and are a log style.

haha GLENN it does look abit like guts. 

Thanks Richard you also have a great name too :P as for the exhaust pictured the are a factory s85 v10 manifold so won't be putting them on my motor but would make something similar if space was an issue.

Edited by e46v12
  • Like 1

I can fit a V10 easily into my E36 then your V12 isnt a issue.

V10 is a bunch wider than the 12.

Awesome project! Looking forward to more progress. Wonder how much faffing is required to fit dohc heads??

Edited by BreakMyWindow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BreakMyWindow said:

Awesome project! Looking forward to more progress. Wonder how much faffing is required to fit dohc heads??

Where do you even get those haha?

52 minutes ago, BreakMyWindow said:

M5x heads?

How do you get around the fact that one head needs to be a mirror image, else it'll be intaking exhaust 

2 hours ago, eliongater said:

How do you get around the fact that one head needs to be a mirror image, else it'll be intaking exhaust 

Turn it around 180 degrees and modify the cams to drive from the other end i guess. 

• Like 1

Hey CRUNCHY yeah i figured if people have put v10 into the e46 a narrower v12 shouldn't be an issue. 

as for the discussion about the DOHC head on the v12 the Mclaren F1 engine was basicly two m3 motors bolted to one crank. 

The m5X head swap is doable but at what cost, here's a guy that has done it.  

Edited by e46v12
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, e46v12 said:

Hey CRUNCHY yeah i figured if people have put v10 into the e46 a narrower v12 shouldn't be an issue. 

as for the disscussion about the DOHC head on the v12 the Mclaren F1 engine was basicly two m3 motors bolted to one crank. 

The m5X head swap is doable but at what cost, here's a guy that has done it.  

Love what your doing it will run really well, dam site easier than the V10 as far as a ecu goes.

Crunchy brings up a good point - what are your ecu plans?

If going aftermarket, you might want to consider e85 compatibility.

V12 is pretty easy for aftermarket ecu, the V10 not so much.

V12 comp ratio is pretty low so you wont need E85, my V10 is 12/1 and im still running pump gas as in BP98