Sign in to follow this  
hqstu

(another) e39 M5

And an infinitely better ad than many we've seen recently, with some clear and simple photos of the car.

Kudos to the seller.

That plate kinda makes a stupid statement. Like yes 'M' brake horse power.... doesn't have the same ring as M Power. 

but like at least it would be cooler if it was 398BHP, the actual quoted figure for that car etc. 

Niiiiiice! Must be E39 M5 season all over again!

Is it the case only 24 e39 m5's were sold NZ new, as a comment on the ad suggests?

Thought it may have been higher.  Know of 4 or 5 in the Tron alone?

Edited by hqstu

When I was applying for a Special Interest Vehicle Permit to bring an E39 M5 in from the UK BMWNZ kindly provided sales figures for cars sold new here.

1999 unknown for unexplained reason. A friend that is in BMW sales remembers about 18-19 were sold

2000 11

2001 6

2002 2

2003 3

As this was nearly 5 years ago I have taken note of cars I saw for sale and jotted down the rego/serial numbers and with help from Martin and Glenn have 35 listed.

1999 x 12  of which 11 were NZ new 

2000 x 10  of which 8 were NZ new

2001 x  4   of which  3 were NZ new

2002 x 6   of which 3 were NZ new

2003 x 3   of which 2 were NZ new

1999 x 1 from Singapore

2000 x 1 from Singapore, 1 from South Africa

2001 x  1 from UK

2002 x 3 from UK

2003 x 1 from UK

Colours: 12 black, 12 blue, 4 silver, 3 green, 3 red, 1 anthracite 

1 x 1999 silver W/O and 1x 2000 red W/O (HellBM)

Year of manufacture from information at M5portal.com

This is worth a read...

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/203127-write-up-e39-m5-extensive-production-statistics.html

n.b. The above register is not complete as more cars will no doubt appear

Dave

Edited by DC3
  • Like 7

That colour... nom nom.

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top

15 hours ago, TermiPeteNZ said:

the price has increased!

Yes.... so the previous auction indicates he'd be happy with $25k.

Very much niche cars now it seems (redundant comment really as many of our cars are now that way..), supply/demand, who's looking / who's wanting, could be fickle...

I've poured a bit into mine since I've had it, this one likely doesn't need much, but they all have secrets to be discovered to a certain extent.  The colour certainly is nice and probably commands a premium, but overall $25k is fair and I'd be salivating if I was in the market...

Just now, hqstu said:

Yes.... so the previous auction indicates he'd be happy with $25k.

Very much niche cars now it seems (redundant comment really as many of our cars are now that way..), supply/demand, who's looking / who's wanting, could be fickle...

I've poured a bit into mine since I've had it, this one likely doesn't need much, but they all have secrets to be discovered to a certain extent.  The colour certainly is nice and probably commands a premium, but overall $25k is fair and I'd be salivating if I was in the market...

Can I ask how much you paid for yours and how much you've poured into it since? I'm curious what kind of financial commitment these beget.

pm'd

On 6/14/2017 at 7:21 PM, DC3 said:

When I was applying for a Special Interest Vehicle Permit to bring an E39 M5 in from the UK BMWNZ kindly provided sales figures for cars sold new here.

1999 unknown for unexplained reason. A friend that is in BMW sales remembers about 18-19 were sold

2000 11

2001 6

2002 2

2003 3

As this was nearly 5 years ago I have taken note of cars I saw for sale and jotted down the rego/serial numbers and with help from Martin and Glenn have 35 listed.

1999 x 12  of which 11 were NZ new 

2000 x 10  of which 8 were NZ new

2001 x  4   of which  3 were NZ new

2002 x 6   of which 3 were NZ new

2003 x 3   of which 2 were NZ new

1999 x 1 from Singapore

2000 x 1 from Singapore, 1 from South Africa

2001 x  1 from UK

2002 x 3 from UK

2003 x 1 from UK

Colours: 12 black, 12 blue, 4 silver, 3 green, 3 red, 1 anthracite 

1 x 1999 silver W/O and 1x 2000 red W/O (HellBM)

Year of manufacture from information at M5portal.com

This is worth a read...

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/203127-write-up-e39-m5-extensive-production-statistics.html

n.b. The above register is not complete as more cars will no doubt appear

Dave,

From what I understand, there were 235 delivered to the 'Australia spec' market. From what I know reading spec sheets - the Kiwi cars were classified that way too - is that correct? A Bimmer buddy of mine based in Melbourne was told that there were 200 delivered new to Australia. Is there a possibility that there were in fact 35 delivered new to NZ?

Secondly, curious to know - in reality is there much of a difference in colour between Avus and Lemans blue. Anecdotally, i hear that Lemans is a tad more darker - is that correct?

Edited by ssbmw
needed to change the way it reads

All nz-new cars I've done a vin decoder check on have had 'National version Australia' in their spec sheets.

LeMans Blue is slightly darker :

Image result for bmw avus blue vs lemans blue

In terms of colours in NZ, I presume Silverstone will then be bracketed under blue - as that specific hue does not appear to be on your list? Definitely seen Silverstone examples around. Great information by the way, it's great that you guys have built a register. 

didn't realise that Avus blue was such a light shade. Imperial seems to be the go to colour for newer cars. 

That's a fair comment re colour, of the 4 silver 2 are Silverstone. 

I believe you are correct, cars sold here are Aussie spec as Martin has confirmed. HD91 on the M5board.com (author of M5portal.com) has done extensive research on production numbers, I'd suggest contacting him   (hd91@m5portal.com)   for details. When I was looking for my M5 I was very keen to find a 2003 Oxford Green/Caramel, he told me there was only 1 for that year. I settled for Carbon/Caramel of which there were 5 for 2003.

Cheers mate - I will contact HD91. The M5 portal is where I got the number '235' of numbers exported to the Australasian market. Several years ago, a few of my friends who owned E39 M5's stated that the number of NZ new was around 35. If you look at the number conveyed in your comment regarding BMW NZ stating that 22 were sold excluding 1999 - (and taking into consideration that it was subsequently revealed that 11 were sold new  in that year - the highest number sold in any year)- that would make around 35 sold in NZ - new. 

Curious to have these numbers confirmed. I have built a E24 M6 register for NZ,  and a friend of mine has a register for E31's and E34's.

I love E39's too (like many of our members here) and will own one in the future. Cheers for the help!

Edited by ssbmw
typo

A bit more detail, good to know. There is another 1999 Oxford/Caramel that we don't yet have listed, back in 2002 a machinery dealer had two M5s including this one and a red one! We'll keep looking.

I'm interested to know how you collected details of the M6. Have you published your register and is it complete?

Yes, I am speculating here, but I suspect there could have been 35 NZ new, and with the impressive demand for this model - another dozen plus imported. 

The E24 register was done informally - not easy back in 2002 because there was little information on them. However, Gerry Hodges (BMW NZ car club head) helped me contact some people in respective regions of NZ - from the car clubs etc. From that - word of mouth information,  I was able to start putting together an ownership register. Fortunately, I befriended a chap from Melbourne who was similarly fanatical about these cars (there were only 524 made in RHD) and he decided to compile a register for Australia (not easy as they only got 2 delivered officially through their dealerships and due to their passion for the E24  - approximately another 80 plus examples (more now) were imported privately from the UK). He eventually got an official spreadsheet from BMW UK - that had all 524 units listed with paint/ interior details-  which he very generously sent me. The information correlated with what I gathered - around 20 were sent to NZ officially - and today there are probably another 20 that were imported. I also discovered through my research too that Australia's passion for these cars led to 4-5 units being sold from NZ .

I live overseas these days, but I have a car (hopefully)  lined up (e39) when I return. Would love to help with your database of NZ cars. Hope to hear from HD91.

pointless but i am interested.What sorta consumption /range do you M5 fellas get?

45 minutes ago, kiwi535 said:

pointless but i am interested.What sorta consumption /range do you M5 fellas get?

Don`t bother looking :)