Sign in to follow this  
hqstu

(another) e39 M5

10 minutes ago, HELLBM said:

Don`t bother looking :)

i am interested!

A big part of why i sold the 535 was fuel consumption.At the time it was costing me 120 every 7 or 8 working days.It is not so much the actual consumption I always thought the 535 was Thirsty for what it was.If an E39 M5 has similar consumtion i could live with that.I do like a car with reasonable range.I wouldnt buy a e E60 M5 not so much for it actual consumption but for its pathetic range.

1 hour ago, ssbmw said:

Yes, I am speculating here, but I suspect there could have been 35 NZ new, and with the impressive demand for this model - another dozen plus imported. 

The E24 register was done informally - not easy back in 2002 because there was little information on them. However, Gerry Hodges (BMW NZ car club head) helped me contact some people in respective regions of NZ - from the car clubs etc. From that - word of mouth information,  I was able to start putting together an ownership register. Fortunately, I befriended a chap from Melbourne who was similarly fanatical about these cars (there were only 524 made in RHD) and he decided to compile a register for Australia (not easy as they only got 2 delivered officially through their dealerships and due to their passion for the E24  - approximately another 80 plus examples (more now) were imported privately from the UK). He eventually got an official spreadsheet from BMW UK - that had all 524 units listed with paint/ interior details-  which he very generously sent me. The information correlated with what I gathered - around 20 were sent to NZ officially - and today there are probably another 20 that were imported. I also discovered through my research too that Australia's passion for these cars led to 4-5 units being sold from NZ .

I live overseas these days, but I have a car (hopefully)  lined up (e39) when I return. Would love to help with your database of NZ cars. Hope to hear from HD91.

Interesting stuff. Any help on E39 M5 numbers is very welcome. I'm happy to make available this data to anyone who might be interested, just pm me.

23 hours ago, kiwi535 said:

i am interested!

A big part of why i sold the 535 was fuel consumption.At the time it was costing me 120 every 7 or 8 working days.It is not so much the actual consumption I always thought the 535 was Thirsty for what it was.If an E39 M5 has similar consumtion i could live with that.I do like a car with reasonable range.I wouldnt buy a e E60 M5 not so much for it actual consumption but for its pathetic range.

Hi Paul, 

My consumption figures are probably better than most as I only use the car for pleasure so it doesn't go to town, shopping or errands etc.

I have some nice back roads locally that are usually traffic free and while I drive spiritedly I'm not thrashing it, the economy is 11.9 l/100km. Sure if it was open highway driving it would be better than this, more like 9.5-10 l/100km. I'll have to confess I rarely drive it like it was "meant to be driven" but I enjoy it very much at my pace.

Edited by DC3

1 hour ago, kiwi535 said:

i am interested!

Sorry. I meant `I don`t bother looking`. Sport mode is permanently on in all my M cars. Last time I did look it was 14.something litres/100km

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kiwi535 said:

i am interested!

When I had my '88 E34 535i I got 17MPG/17l/100KM (from mostly city driving) so yes it is thirsty for the level of performance. That's similar to my V8 X5 (currently showing 16) but less than my E60 M5. When Greg had the M5 his average was 17-18l/100KM but he did a bit more distance/motorway than me - I daily my M5 a day or two a week and a bit of motorway in the weekend and it averages 20. Regarding range - on our big Taihape-Napier roundtrip from Welly my M5 used 3 half tanks with a mix of enthusiastic driving and cruising.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TermiPeteNZ said:

When I had my '88 E34 535i I got 17MPG/17l/100KM (from mostly city driving) so yes it is thirsty for the level of performance. That's similar to my V8 X5 (currently showing 16) but less than my E60 M5. When Greg had the M5 his average was 17-18l/100KM but he did a bit more distance/motorway than me - I daily my M5 a day or two a week and a bit of motorway in the weekend and it averages 20. Regarding range - on our big Taihape-Napier roundtrip from Welly my M5 used 3 half tanks with a mix of enthusiastic driving and cruising.

yes my average was 13l 100 k and i can ussually get quite good numbers.Even on the open road it was very difficult to get under 10 l 100 k.Any way bit OT

Mine is an occasional car. I reset the consumption before the Gentle Annie roadie and about 1000km later it is reading 11.6 l/100.  Mainly backroad cruising.  Some town and around .The GA drive was "reasonably spirited"...

23 hours ago, kiwi535 said:

pointless but i am interested.What sorta consumption /range do you M5 fellas get?

check out http://www.fuelly.com/ for global stats on most vehicles, contribute yourself and keep track of your own motoring costs, for example http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/land_cruiser/1998/cpjfox/437508 is my daily driver, and at the bottom of my profile page a bunch of retired vehicles, almost half of which are beamers http://www.fuelly.com/driver/cpjfox

On 7/2/2017 at 0:47 PM, EURO V8 said:

check out http://www.fuelly.com/ for global stats on most vehicles, contribute yourself and keep track of your own motoring costs, for example http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/land_cruiser/1998/cpjfox/437508 is my daily driver, and at the bottom of my profile page a bunch of retired vehicles, almost half of which are beamers http://www.fuelly.com/driver/cpjfox

ha yes i use fuelly myself somewhat sporadically! I will check the M5 out! 

Edited by kiwi535

6 hours ago, kiwi535 said:

ha yes i use fuelly myself somewhat sporadically! I will check the M5 out! 

2000 M5 fuel economy profiles

Somthing is up with that link, I got a pop up window offering me a free iPhone 7 if I click OK.

22 hours ago, EURO V8 said:

Somthing is up with that link, I got a pop up window offering me a free iPhone 7 if I click OK.

i will delete it!

On 7/2/2017 at 7:38 PM, EURO V8 said:

Their ad network is dodgy. It auto detects mobile browsers and abuses them. It isn't the sites fault as such. Even good gets hit by mobile ads sometimes. Binmerfest is like this too. It's annoying as hell on a mobile browser, but nothing to be too worried about. Don't click ok. ?

• Like 1