Sign in to follow this  
gjm

2018 640i xDrive Gran Turisimo

Not my thing. Not at all. Strikes me as a car trying to find a market niche to fit in to.

Of course, it may be great to drive.

5940b342225e2_640etc.thumb.JPG.65fe2a67746747403e15d5b17787af16.JPG

Better looking than the 'old' 5-series GT... Perhaps. But I didn't like that much, either! (Don't get me started in the X6 !)

Price in the US: $70k. Price in NZ...? I dread to think, but probably $140k+.

• Like 1

essentially a 5 series hatchback.  passed by a 5Gt today, was thinking how ungainly it looked yet practical for my older parents, the just right porridge of seat heights. 

1 hour ago, Michael. said:

Ughhhhhhhhhh

25.gif

I thought you'd be happy! Looks a bit like a prius with a BMW front stuck on it. :P

Why do these exist and why do people buy them? They look stupid and don't seem practical. 

A station wagon makes more sense if you need a hatch with 4 doors. 

Edited by Matth5

On 6/16/2017 at 10:05 AM, allan said:

Not steel the show but what about this idea

http://www.bmwblog.com/category/models/bmw-x7/

[BMW Boardroom]

"Mercedes did their R-class... It wasn't a huge success, but I'm sure we should do something similar. We need a huge, ugly vehicle that's too big for school mums to drive..."

49 minutes ago, gjm said:

[BMW Boardroom]

"Mercedes did their R-class... It wasn't a huge success, but I'm sure we should do something similar. We need a huge, ugly vehicle that's too big for school mums to drive..."

fixed that for ya:

[BMW Boardroom]

""Mercedes did their R-class... It wasn't a huge success, but I'm sure we should let them think that we're going to do something similar, so they'll keep making their losses on it. We certainly don't need a huge, ugly vehicle that's too big for school mums to drive...  Let Mercedes continue to plow that field, we'll work on something that we can *sell* that also *works*" :D

4 hours ago, Olaf said:

fixed that for ya:

[BMW Boardroom]

""Mercedes did their R-class... It wasn't a huge success, but I'm sure we should let them think that we're going to do something similar, so they'll keep making their losses on it. We certainly don't need a huge, ugly vehicle that's too big for school mums to drive...  Let Mercedes continue to plow that field, we'll work on something that we can *sell* that also *works*" :D

Oh, the R-class works... But it's aimed at polo mums, not soccer mums.

Not many vehicles around that can carry 6 adults in comfort, and still turn 0-60 in under 5 seconds. :)

ah yes, Polo. I'd forgotten about Polo.  I did attend a match not long before we left blighty, lots of rather good NZ Wines and plenty of well-heeled totty.  We hoovered a reasonable quantity of wine and canapes in the sunshine and laughed a lot.  Don't recall much about the Polo, though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Olaf said:

ah yes, Polo. I'd forgotten about Polo.  I did attend a match not long before we left blighty, lots of rather good NZ Wines and plenty of well-heeled totty.  We hoovered a reasonable quantity of wine and canapes in the sunshine and laughed a lot.  Don't recall much about the Polo, though.

Sounds like you covered most of the important bits. :thumbs-up:

• Like 2

(Official Corporate hat on)

The X7 will be larger than the current X5 and will sit at the top of the X-Range, as such it's natural competitors are the Mercedes GLS and the Range Rover so think of things in that size bracket, not the R-Class people mover.

This is a big segment of the market that BMW have been missing out on by not having a model this size, competitors have big sales numbers in many markets around the world, such cars seem very popular in Russia surprisingly...

There is already one, the 2 Series Grand Tourer, F46, its just not offered for sale in NZ currently.

Although strictly speaking it only adds two seats in the third row, not the three you ask for.