Sign in to follow this  
NUSTAD

Good quality rear badge

My e38 boot BMW roundel has delaminated and I need a new one.   Lots of options on trademe but I don't really want to have a $6 badge fall apart or look like rubbish.

I looked at Schmiedmann and a genuine 82mm one is 43 euro......

Anyone found a source that provides both quality and reasonable price.....?

Thanks!

..... not yet...

Will find out dealer price tomorrow when I get my airbag replaced..........just found one on ECS for $32US but shipping often a killer from the US

Dealer $90-95 ish.

Dealers very clever at pricing some parts including these not too far away from European prices once you incl shipping and GST and $50 import fee if you getting stuff in over about NZ$400.

Yes US shipping is heavy, as are the parts prices as US suppliers have already loaded up the price to get them from Europe to US.  Go Europe... Schm.

Well since some windscreen rubbers for my e38 seemed pretty cheap I handed over the $85 wanted by Continental BMW for a genuine one.........looks much better.

Just now, NUSTAD said:

Well since some windscreen rubbers for my e38 seemed pretty cheap I handed over the $85 wanted by Continental BMW for a genuine one.........looks much better.

Yes there are bargains to be had at times locally.  I bought an e39 front spoiler/wheel arch shield that lists for US300 (in US) and EUR190 (in Europe) for NZ$115 off CJBMW.  The parts manager even took a quick photo of the screen in case it "vanished.."

• Like 1

plenty of good used genuine ones $30 ,

maybe even new ones ?

7 minutes ago, BM WORLD said:

plenty of good used genuine ones $30 ,

maybe even new ones ?

Yep - probably should have got one from you but the temptation of right now got me!

In my experience the genuine (from BMW) ones last much longer befor they start looking rubbish so are the best value anyway, have had knock off ones fade and flake after 3 months.

2 minutes ago, aja540i said:

In my experience the genuine (from BMW) ones last much longer befor they start looking rubbish so are the best value anyway, have had knock off ones fade and flake after 3 months.

My knock off is still going strong after a year so I'm happy, although signs of fading is starting to show.  

On 6/14/2017 at 8:06 PM, hqstu said:

Dealer $90-95 ish.

Dealers very clever at pricing some parts including these not too far away from European prices once you incl shipping and GST and $50 import fee if you getting stuff in over about NZ$400.

Yes US shipping is heavy, as are the parts prices as US suppliers have already loaded up the price to get them from Europe to US.  Go Europe... Schm.

Off topic but I have always wondered exactly at what value you get stung by GST on import, as on the customs site it says anything over the value of NZ $60 or $80 and that's certainly not the case. I recently also ordered an array of parts for my cooling system overhaul which was at about NZD $450 value and luckily dodged the bullet but I knew that was a bit of a gamble.  

What are your guys' experiences on this? I have never ever had to pay but my brother has, on an LSD he imported .

I have a small and large one spare. Brand new oem. Happy to sell 

7 hours ago, twiggles94 said:

My knock off is still going strong after a year so I'm happy, although signs of fading is starting to show.  

Off topic but I have always wondered exactly at what value you get stung by GST on import, as on the customs site it says anything over the value of NZ $60 or $80 and that's certainly not the case. I recently also ordered an array of parts for my cooling system overhaul which was at about NZD $450 value and luckily dodged the bullet but I knew that was a bit of a gamble.  

What are your guys' experiences on this? I have never ever had to pay but my brother has, on an LSD he imported .

Customs actually says it's the GST+duty (not many things have duty these days - clothing?) value of over about $60 that triggers them to charge.  So GST on $400 (goods incl shipping :( ) is $60, so that is where the approx. figure of $400 comes from.  They also now slap a $49 fee as import and biosecurity on top.  This really compels you to think about the trade off between paying these fees on a larger order or paying multiple shipping charges and staying under the threshold. Prices and shipping from Europe are generally cheaper than US although there are exceptions on some items.  I'm mainly comparing Pelican US with Schmiedmann Europe.  The $400 figure can also be variable depending on what the packing slip may say and also how "busy" customs may be, although with improving systems they are sharpening up...  If you go over $1000, I think there is an additional fee or two that steps it all up again...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, twiggles94 said:

you need www.whatsmyduty.org.nz 

as soon as the combo of GST and Duty on your import (including freight charge) hits NZD60 you get kablammoed with all manner of fees and raped for over a hundy.

EDIT:  your brother was lucky not to be incarcerated for class A importation.  LSD indeed.   

Edited by Olaf
class A importation, good heavens
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, hqstu said:

Customs actually says it's the GST+duty (not many things have duty these days - clothing?) value of over about $60 that triggers them to charge.  So GST on $400 (goods incl shipping :( ) is $60, so that is where the approx. figure of $400 comes from.  They also now slap a $49 fee as import and biosecurity on top.  This really compels you to think about the trade off between paying these fees on a larger order or paying multiple shipping charges and staying under the threshold. Prices and shipping from Europe are generally cheaper than US although there are exceptions on some items.  I'm mainly comparing Pelican US with Schmiedmann Europe.  The $400 figure can also be variable depending on what the packing slip may say and also how "busy" customs may be, although with improving systems they are sharpening up...  If you go over $1000, I think there is an additional fee or two that steps it all up again...

Up to a a $400 value you are normally OK and don't need to pay anything extra to the NZ government. Bear in mind that this is simply a 'not worth our time' figure, so they could charge you anyway.

If the value is between $400 and $1000, and this is noticed, your goods are held and you are at the mercy of NZ Post. (Sometimes something slips through with ahigher value - don't count on this!) I bought some parts in, and received a letter from NZ Post saying they'd need paying before delivery could be arranged. They neglected to give me any sort of reference number and it was only by the grace of a very helpful Customs bod in Tauranga that I was able to get things sorted. Still took them 10 days from confirmed payment of duties to get the parts to me.

Over $1000 you need a client code which must be arranged in advance of your purchase. This requires completion of customs form NZCS 224, and (iirc) the code must be entered on the customs slip by the shipper. It's an enormous faff about and makes no sense to a private individual; ask about it, and customs simply suggest you use a shipping agent.

US shipping is typically expensive. I'm not sure how the NZPost YouShop facility compares. Shipping of larger items from Europe has also increased dramatically in the last year or so - where I had previously paid EUR40-50, it's now EUR100+. And that shipping cost is a factor in whether you pay duty or not.

Yes - your duty is calculated on the purchase price + shipping cost + insurance cost. If the seller doesn't discount local taxation (VAT, etc) then that is also included. All hail the system where we pay tax for the benefit of paying tax to a foreign government! (Actually, that's a little unfair - the seller pays that tax, and probably has a mountain of paperwork to get through to remove taxation from an out-of-country sale.)

There's a further issue with this. Let's assume you had an XYZ device that broke and required return to manufacturer to repair. You send it back, it's repaired, and the manufacturer ships it back to you. They label the package 'Warranty Repair', and insure it for (say) $1200. You will be charged duties based on $1200+shipping+insurance for the import into New Zealand. This is an important distinction - it is the total value of the import that is used for any calculation, and not how much you may have paid. To avoid this, you will need to provide evidence of having exported something for repair - the shipper's say-so is not sufficient.

• Like 2

US shipping doesn't have to be expensive; UPS from FCP Euro is pretty reasonable, though UPS Service in NZ can be dire.

and this is where we get to variability of charges.  I was raped by UPS recently for a shipment that was NZD 5 over the threshold, total cost under NZD400.  They can charge whatever brokerage fees they like.  DHL or FedEx are far more reliable and reasonable.

I'd not touch NZ Post youshop with a barge pole, their terms of service are shocking - they're written by some paranoid who expects all clients to be scum.  If you want a reliable forwarder in the US, MyUS.com are good, and if you search for their Visa Promotion you'll get gold service for two years for free.  W00t!  Discounted freight, free amalgamation and a month's free storage, not to mention a choice of reliable carriers.

HTH

• Like 1

I use Youshop for Pelican Parts orders as their shipping is more expensive than it should be due to them using excessively large boxes. Save usually 30-50% on postage. FCP seems better but not by that much. 

I will look into MYUS.com 

My most recent order with Pelican Parts and youshop ended up being about $30 cheaper to just use Pelican direct, with less faffing around than going through Youshop.

Have found FCP to be very good (I get stuff delivered to the office in the city)

Schmiedmann tend to work out well too, depending on the item.