Sign in to follow this  
Olly

Importing E34

Has anyone looked to import an older BMW through an agent and register them for NZ roads?  I only ask as I've been looking for a low km, good condition base to start a longterm project car and NZ has pretty slim pickings.

http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/BMW/5_SERIES/700020635230170531004/index.html

I was looking at this but there is something off about it.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1341407058.htm

whats wrong with the 540i .

nz new low km and owners .

what are your plans with one ?

31 minutes ago, Dsdv said:

I believe you can't import cars manufactured before 2005 (from Japan anyway).

This page might help: http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/importing-a-vehicle/

If a car is newer than 20 years old, it needs to meet emissions standards.

Older than 20 years old, you can import to your heart's content. This is intended for classic cars, but is a bit of a gap in the current legislation...

• Like 1

Oz would be a good place to look. Cheap return tickets to check them out, and roll on roll off boat ex Melbourne 2000-2500 AUD excluding insurance. 

https://carsales.mobi/cars/details/BMW-540i-1993/SSE-AD-4802709

https://carsales.mobi/cars/details/BMW-540i-1995/SSE-AD-4640139

https://carsales.mobi/cars/details/BMW-535i-1989/SSE-AD-4668336

Sorry I should have stated. Im after something that can be easily converted to manual and I've heard a 540i isn't that easy with the V8???

Also that 540i came up as an e36 when I checked the vin.

In terms of project I just want to build an OEM+ type e34 but want a super clean base.

More or less trying to find out costs to land a car here and register it.  E34 prices in Japan seem to be very reasonable. 

540i is only hard because of the rarity of the gearbox... 

i have getrag 280 box and manual kit from a e34 m5 , will also suit a 535i or 530i m30 engine type .

plenty of 535i manuals about

not really worth doing a 525i unless you swap in a bigger m52 m54 engine etc

thats weird on the 540i vin number , i wonder if its a typo or sopmething , ask him to pull the ecu out and check the vin number on the sticker on the ecu

I can testify from my experience, the 4L V8's run happily deep in to the 300,000K territory, mine never missed a beat from 320,000 when I bought it till 360,000ish when I sold it, service history is key though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BM WORLD said:

thats weird on the 540i vin number , i wonder if its a typo or sopmething , ask him to pull the ecu out and check the vin number on the sticker on the ecu

Would an E34 m5 have a VIN on the ECU as well?  There's one in NZ that doesn't seem right, VIN doesn't match it's origins, seller has a story that doesn't really add up either, parts list does seem to match, I think it's a re shell.

36 minutes ago, EURO V8 said:

Would an E34 m5 have a VIN on the ECU as well?  There's one in NZ that doesn't seem right, VIN doesn't match it's origins, seller has a story that doesn't really add up either, parts list does seem to match, I think it's a re shell.

yes , but some SA cars are weird too , I have had a couple of SA 535i and e30 325i and the vin numbers don't add up its just the SA cars

are done differently

Just now, BM WORLD said:

yes , but some SA cars are weird too , I have had a couple of SA 535i and e30 325i and the vin numbers don't add up its just the SA cars

are done differently

This instance gets weird though, differently or not, every single serial number of SA E34 M5's is sequential from BB77000 - BB7726, and on a list, vendor claims it was revinned, but oddly the new Vin matches a BMW r80 and a 520... depending on the engine you search.  Even the south africans thought it seemed weird when i asked them.  https://www.bmwfanatics.co.za/showthread.php?tid=80743

Edited by EURO V8

like this one I had a few years back

front left.jpg

P1090978 (Medium).JPG

P1090979 (Medium).JPG

P1100027 (Medium).JPG

and this one

325ia 91 engine LHS.jpg

325ia 91 front.jpg

Edited by BM WORLD

On 6/15/2017 at 10:36 AM, BM WORLD said:

whats wrong with the 540i .

nz new low km and owners .

what are your plans with one ?

Yeah, that 540i looks clean and sharp, rather than "off".

2 hours ago, EURO V8 said:

This instance gets weird though, differently or not, every single serial number of SA E34 M5's is sequential from BB77000 - BB7726, and on a list, vendor claims it was revinned, but oddly the new Vin matches a BMW r80 and a 520... depending on the engine you search.  Even the south africans thought it seemed weird when i asked them.  https://www.bmwfanatics.co.za/showthread.php?tid=80743

I think you are confusing the chassis number (last 7 digits of the VIN) and the full VIN number. An NZTA issued VIN plate, as in the picture, will have a different code on it to the orginal BMW VIN and chassis. There is no point typing the last 7 of the NZTA number into a BMW VIN decoder as it will give you the incorrect information.

A BMW VIN will always start with WBAxxxx for a cooking version or WBSxxx for the M cars. Find the number that start with those, then use the last 7 of that number, not the local NZTA number.

15 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

I think you are confusing the chassis number (last 7 digits of the VIN) and the full VIN number. An NZTA issued VIN plate, as in the picture, will have a different code on it to the orginal BMW VIN and chassis. There is no point typing the last 7 of the NZTA number into a BMW VIN decoder as it will give you the incorrect information.

A BMW VIN will always start with WBAxxxx for a cooking version or WBSxxx for the M cars. Find the number that start with those, then use the last 7 of that number, not the local NZTA number.

I agree with you, I haven't used the NZTA number though... should it not be one of these two?

vin.JPG.0cc7c9071235b9965113943bc5f69d4c.JPG

Edited by EURO V8

43 minutes ago, EURO V8 said:

I agree with you, I haven't used the NZTA number though... should it not be one of these two?

vin.JPG.0cc7c9071235b9965113943bc5f69d4c.JPG

BF92279 should be the ID#

Seems to be...

VIN ZBADC88030BF92279
Type code DC88
Type 535 I A (EUR)
E series E28 ()
Series 5
Type LIM
Steering RL
Doors 4
Engine M30