Sign in to follow this  
HELLBM

E87 M Sport with DCT/S65 Hellbm Project

3 hours ago, allan said:

So you produce a sh*t product dress it as lamb and sell it for an exorbitant price. Then when the wheels fall off maintenance etc floods in the owner/s get pissed off sells it and doesn't buy another one. If that is all true how have they managed to stay in busy for so long? what is missing because most company's would have been done years ago especially in the competitive auto industry.  

because they give you a comprehensive warranty from new so these major failures don't actually cost you apart from downtime ,it just makes them bad second hand time bombs and because all the euros are similar good luck finding one thats much better.

Edited by kwhelan

3 hours ago, 0-60Motorsports said:

Incorrect. The S54 E46 M3 had a connecting rod bearing materials fault not a clearance fault like on the S85 and S65 Motors. The S85 and S65 motors, some have 150-200000 kms on them and are fine and some have 3000-5000km on them with engine failure. So replace your connecting rod bearings with the BE Bearings product ASAP for peace of mind and for proper clearance and oil flow. I've done a few cars here in Bahrain and most of them had abnormal wear for the low mileages they were at. Some info on BE Bearings taken from their website:

Background:

• BMW M5 (2005-2010), BMW M3 (2008-2013) can suffer early bearing failure due to inadequate rod bearing clearance.
  • Insufficient clearance means insufficient oil flow, excessive bearing surface heat, and premature wear.
  • These symptoms can lead to early bearing failure and a very expensive engine rebuild.
  • Problem can be addressed during engine rebuild, but it's expensive.
  • Some people switched to thinner oils -- as a stopgap measure.
  • Other stopgap measures include anti-friction teflon coated factory bearings, WPC anti-friction treated factory bearings, and custom bearings with same clearance as stock.
  • "Coated" factory bearings decreased clearance.  This is not a good idea.
  • WPC treated bearings slightly increase clearance, but are a stopgap.
  • Custom bearings keeping factory clearance doesn't fix the problem, but allows you to track lead and copper in Blackstone oil analysis.
  • Newer factory bearings (2010.5 and later) are made from tin-aluminum, not lead-copper.  Tin-aluminum bearings are 4-times harder on the surface than lead-copper bearings.  This extra hardness shows signs of doing more damage to motors as there seems to be more bearing failures with 2010.5 and later vehicles.  Tin-aluminum bearings also don't show the same signs of premature wear in Blackstone oil analysis due to lack of lead and copper.
  • A better solution was needed.

Better Design

• Designed to address and fix the rod bearing clearance issue.
  • Designed for use with factory 10W60 weight oils.
  • Increases oil flow.
  • Improves lubrication for "Start-Stop" vehicles over factory bearings.
  • Designed in consultation with leading industry experts from  NASCAR, Indy Car, and former BMW M-Division engine designer.
  • Designed and manufactured by Clevite, factory BMW bearing supplier.
  • Traditional lead-copper bearing design; less wear on crankshaft journals, traceable with Blackstone oil analysis.
  • Each bearing is measured and size-binned.  Allows for custom bearing selection when necessary.

Never had the time to study the e46 failures. 

They just seemed to have a period of bearing issues.

Just now, HaNs said:

Never had the time to study the e46 failures. 

They just seemed to have a period of bearing issues.

Yes and BMW issued a recall to swap out the bearings with bearings with different material. Never an issue with Oil clearances.

13 hours ago, 0-60Motorsports said:

Know of E46 M3's that where not part of the recall having major bearing issues last year. 

6 hours ago, HaNs said:

Know of E46 M3's that where not part of the recall having major bearing issues last year. 

Yes, but this is not because of clearance issues. Either wrong oil is used by owners or oil change intervals are very large instead of the usual 5-7000km or 5000 mile oil changes with a suitable oil like Castrol TWS or EDGE something 10w60 weight. Also the Rod Bearings on an E46 M3 are now considered a service item, change every 100,000 miles or 125,000 km's depending on varying conditions and use.

100,000 miles or 125,000km?

Either way, a service item??

8 minutes ago, Palazzo said:

100,000 miles or 125,000km?

Either way, a service item??

Those are just estimates depending on use but yes the S54 bearings are considered a service item now. You can find out a lot more on m3forum.net if your interested.

Edited by 0-60Motorsports

Yeah ^

I've always understood engines with race style clearances and construction take their toll on sacrificial parts like the main bearings. 

nz new 2007 m6 I had with 140ks

bearings looked like this

IMG_6462.JPG

3 hours ago, 0-60Motorsports said:

Thats actually Not that as bad as ive seen from other owners.

yea not sure if the other where like that , i didnt get to see them all

14 hours ago, BreakMyWindow said:

Any engine derived from a race design should consider rod bearings as a service item, among other things.

So to get ~ 100bhp/ litre, you have to rebuild the bottom end of the engine as a service item? Pffft!

Update time.

Flashed a BPM Tune along with the DCT remap from the M3 GTS. IMG_2731(1).thumb.JPG.98854f41eb10a7b901ef67c3b8b50b54.JPGIMG_27291.thumb.JPG.8163c58c5dc4c2e95ec1fea96e4e8efb.JPGIMG_2776(1).thumb.jpg.69ed0c0615fc133d6f01ebc99ad13ab0.jpgIMG_2778(1).thumb.jpg.c52b032d98d13dbbbe5954053903d9ed.jpg

95% complete.

• Like 5

Epic. It looks factory. I want one :D

Whats it like to drive? Do you notice the extra weight over the front end?

Edited by Jacko

Just now, Jacko said:

Epic. It looks factory. I want one :D

Whats it like to drive? Do you notice the extra weight over the front end?

Awesome to drive though will improve with new tyres all round. All M3 suspension with KW coilovers.

Aprox extra 30kg with S65 and DCT vs. the N46/auto transmission. Overall about 200kg lighter than an M3.

• Like 3

Some new shoes:

IMG_2819(1).thumb.JPG.6aab4813322e9b54717f6b5fd089a8ac.JPG

Le Mans Blue V8 cousins, S62 & S65.

IMG_2843(1).thumb.JPG.bff78cd9806d41e0b6c8002508e1306c.JPGIMG_2844(1).thumb.JPG.4fbf6d7bc50079bd74e130b4ccead841.JPG

Drivers Review - 140i War Hammer

Last week I pick up the phone at work to Ray on the other end for our once a month catch-up. He enthusiastically said 'waddya doing this weekend'. My reply, not tons planned but bout time for a visit.
He said, good cause I have something for you to try out. The 140i is on the road.

Not batting and eye lid I said good ill be there with bells on.

Roll on Saturday and a 45min  commute from green lane up to silver dale. We arrive and sitting in the driveway was a stout little 1 series. Only hint of what is going on is the quad exhaust sneaking through the rear valance.

After some chit chat .. He handed me the keys, the missus and I jumped into the car and prepared the usual check mirrors / belts / anything loose that would end up on the floor etc.

Fired the little thing into life, which soon made me realise with the s65 shoe horned under the hood and modified pipes that this aint no 1 series any more.

I locked the DCT transmission into reverse and eased the car back onto the road.

Checking all the normal stuff I popped it into first and moved away ... with a quick pop of the paddles I was in second and gave it a medium sqeeze on the throttle, immediately we were both pushed back into our seats and I realized we were over the speed limit with the car showing small hint it was tapping at the tranction control.

Giving the car a bit of a warm up I took it easy up to the open road and drove it down to my favourite testing ground run .. the sprint to stillwater.

I pulled over to let the car finish its warm up of the oil and water to operational temp. 

Looking down I pushed the 'Power' button and changed the DTC settings to '6'. Now lets stop here for a second to look at its spec.

Here we have a 120i Motorsport shell with e92 m3 sub frame components, DTC 7 speed gear box, e92 M3 diff and suspension, Mperformance brakes, newly refreshed s65, free flow stainless exhaust, Tuned MSS60 ECU and m3 GTS software loaded onto the gearbox computer and Mdynamics DSC traction and stability control.

Back to the drive, I stomped on the loud pedal and plucked 2nd, 3rd , 4th, 5th redlining all the way. The sound was ammmmmmazing. But what trumped that was the amount of time it took me to break the legal and beyond. I see our first corner coming up at a great rate of knots. Look down and see a 2 with a couple of zeros .. hit the picks and dive into the first corner. 
It just soaked up the corner and the bumps. Accelerating out of the corner I pop the paddles and within a blink of an eye im through some more gears. The GTS gearbox software has come a long was since the SMGII days. Dual clutch transmission are the playstation generation. You cant get it wrong and it just builds confidence as the car isn't un-settled between gear changes.

Up comes the next corner which is the start of a set of s bends. Complete with Rodney Council's finest b road bumps can throw at me. The car didn't flinch. I hit the down change and in comes the rev matching and throttle blips. holy crap I say that sounds awesome.
At this stage Im giggling like a little girl while punching it out of the corners ... traction control is letting me know that its keeping the rear end in check.

We get down to Still Water and take pause to figure out what the combination is and how something so potent can be so solid on the road with this power to weight combination.

I jump out and the missus jumps in. She gives it the potatoes on the way back and reminds me I dont make a good passenger.

We get to the open highway, and I jump back in the seat. And do the airfield run. 
I get a real chance to open it up. Pulling a big over taking manoeuvre past a local tourist. Up pops the stop sign to local highway .. The speedo is well past what would be considered sane. In come some braking performance .. bang bang bang down through the gears .. it pulls up with a face ripping gforce to the local highway. I get a honk honk and thumbs up from the tourist haha ..

We complete our cool down run and return to HellBM.

I get out of the car and walk up to ray, Ray: 'Whaddya think"    Josh "Well that wasn't sh*t" 

Its given me the big hurry up on my plans for my next car. 

I own a e30 s50b32. I take on a car that was to put great power into something that I though needed it, at the time it was ground breaking.'
This 1 series hatch with the s65b40 and DTC just brings into perspective what the new level is in badassness. This hatch is king. I have driven a lot of builds, with power and handling. Including some amazing factory cars. This takes the cake on all of it. 

Its really that good.

Well done HellBM, this is the future of modding and its bright.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2