Sign in to follow this  
NZ00Z3

What engine rebuild books do you recommend?

Hi

There is an old M54B25 sitting in my shed and winter boredom has got the better of me.  Going to pull the engine apart and put it back together a couple of times as a self learning task.  Would like to learn the correct way of doing things and tolerances/clearances etc.  Depending on what I find (and my skill) it may never run again.

Have a couple of workshop manuals that cover the basics but looking for more in-depth books.  What are your favorite engine rebuild books for BMW engines.

• Like 1

Bentley. Purchased the set of two when i had the 530 these covered a wide range of topic's including engine dismantle. These were not cheap I might add but hands above any others I have come across. Check out your local library they may have a section on car manuals or do a google search you may find a pdf file that you could download.

51 minutes ago, NZ00Z3 said:

Depending on what I find (and my skill) it may never run again.

:D  that's gold.

+1 for Bentley.  Had Bentley for my VW GTi A2 16v (clutch job, water pump, suspension, brakes); e30 325i Touring (general maintenance); and my  e46 325i Touring (brakes, suspension, general maintenance).

The books sell easily when you're done with them.  They have a metric sh*t-ton of info in them, excellent wiring diagrams, and put Haynes manuals to shame.

If you can't find it locally, Amazon's a good source.

HTH

I have the e39 Bentley pdf here if it'd be helpful. I hate trees myself, but the pdf has its uses. :)

Thank you for your suggestions

Should have listed my resources in the first post.  I have the following on hand:

- Bentley Z3, which covers the M52 and M54 engines

- Haynes 3 series (Sept 1998 to 2006)

- TIS.  Not the best flowing app in the world, maybe my Kiwi brain is struggling with the conversion to Germany thinking and how they put thing into order.