Sign in to follow this  
dkwl93

E30 Lock problems

Hey all,

I've recently got a problem with my 1990 E30.

I've turned the key anti-clockwise to the 90 degrees or horizontal position (Double lock?) and now the lock won't go back to the vertical position. When I did this, the battery was disconnected (I think) and now it's almost as if the car doesn't know that the door is locked. 

To clarify, I can open and lock the passenger door and the trunk fine with the key. It's just the drivers side door that isn't budging. 

Another symptom is that central locking seems to have stopped working. The lights flash when I push the remote but it won't lock or unlock. I can hear some clicking from within the car and the window lights and dome lights turn on but the car won't unlock. Also the car will set off its alarm if I try and turn the ignition. Seems the immobilizer is not disarming as well.

If anyone can shed some light onto how I can fix this problem, that would be amazing. Getting really desperate here.

Thanks in advance for any help

Nevermind, fixed. Just put the key in and jimmied it around and was able to put it back into the vertical position. The central locking/remote locking all works now and everything is back to usual.

Will never attempt to lock using key again.... lol

The learnings here are that when the drivers side key is turned into the double lock position (horizontal) central locking/remote locking stops working and the immobilizer will not disarm