Sign in to follow this  
dirtydoogle

E36 328i coupe "restoration?"

I've been a lurker here for years and owned a fair few BMWs, but nothing really worth showing anyone.

Just this week I swapped my E39 540i for this NZ new 328i manual in Boston green, in albeit tatty condition 

As you can see it is a bit of a project to tidy up. The drivers door card was held on with some cable ties due to the top plastic support shattering, the driver's seat has a small hole appearing in the outer bolsters and the gearknob and steering wheel leather is typically worn through 

Mechanically it is mostly sound. 
90% of the supesension is replaced, new shocks and most of the nushes done with Nolothane (black)
The clutch has been done recently also 
It needs new top hats in the front, so OEM M3 ones will be going in

I plan to keep it kind of stock and tidy it up and do a few little track days for a giggle 

I have already repaired the door card well enough to stop it flapping around but am going to replace it because there are screw holes. 
I have removed both front seats and fixed a non operational front-back passenger motor
Fixed a wiring fault on the driver's pre-tensioner 
Fixed a non working passenger window and put new clips in the door and re-glued the inner plastic reinforcements back on properly 

The first thing I will tackle in the near future under the hood is a full cooling system overhaul 

Later down the track I will be installing an SC14 with PWR water to air and a water meth kit, I have already got this all mounted on my spare m52, I did the mounts myself as it's easy enough, it works with either m50 or m52 manifolds, with the small frame size PWR cooler sitting under the manifold 

This post was too long, sorry chaps 

20170618_162744.jpg

20170618_162751.jpg

20170618_162804.jpg

20170618_162819.jpg

20170618_162833.jpg

20170618_162844.jpg

20170618_162849.jpg

• Like 5

Nice. I've always liked this chassis.

Will be watching you progress with this one. :-)

No exciting updates yet.
Replaced broken indicator lens 
Ordered fan delete kit from FCP 
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-fan-clutch-removal-kit-e36-vernet-e36fdmk
I am essentially running the same set up in my daily E36

I ordered a hose kit 
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-comprehensive-coolant-hose-kit-m52-s52-m52hosekit
I have no history on the cooling system so am assuming it's all past reasonable service life, and as a fussy mechanic I cannot drive it happily like that 
Am looking in to radiator and expansion tank options now. 
Would like to upgrade them if possible without it looking tacky (I mentioned I'm fussy?) 

Gave it a quick hoon with a clay bar to get an idea of paint condition, it has an amazing amount of deep scratching and swirling, I'll start doing some paint correction when I have a weekend off next, I did a small test area and the paint is super hard

I'll also add a pic of my daily.
The $400 NZ new manual 316 power house 
Got it with top end noise, got a new cam, lifters and rockers in from Europe for bugger all and chucked it in, then took the rims off my Cali top and chucked them on because hub caps suck 
Done all fluids, belts, 318Ti radiator and fan, wired in to factory location in fuse box etc 

It is easily the worst BMW ever produced this side of the E34 518, and I absolutely love it, incredibly slow and handles like a cold bowl of porridge 

20170528_120417.jpg

Following. I'm all for semi-modern vehicle 'restoration.  It's all in the details.

I've got some semi slicks on the way for the old yatch
Might have another set of the same Msport rims coming to put the semis on 
Got a set of style 5s from an E34 also, but unsure what I will do with them, probably slap them  on the 316?

Currently trying to make a decision with suspension options, I have requirements only a grumpy old man can have. Except I'm not old 

I'm not happy with the damping rates it currently has, too slow on the big compression and far too slow on the rebound, mostly noticeable in the faster stuff 
It currently has Gabriel shocks in the back, which are pretty new and I am assuming the same in the front, however these are obviously not damped for the standard Msport springs, This and the buggered front strut mounts make for some undesirable handling, the lack if rear toe in also makes it rotate far too much on corner entry

\
I don't want crap ride quality either, so there will be compromise 
I considered the idea of Koni yellow damper adjustables, or a B12/ B8 set up. 
But I also like the Bilstien touring range, I think the would suit me well.
I do not really want it any lower than it is, I like original ride height

Any input and experience would be appreciated on this 
The same applies to brake pads, generally I run genuine pads, but this will do a few track days so perhaps something a bit more performance orientated would be good

I fitted my new water pump, hoses, 80c tstat and housing after work on Saturday and threw the viscous in the bin 
I stuck a set of factory spotlights in it that I had laying around and gave the leather a birthday with a deep clean and hydrate, will re-hydrate again this weekend and then put a "sealer" on them, I will hopefully get time to finish the paint correction off. 
Sorry long post without pics, I fail at pictures and my work phone is a potato 

• Like 1

One vote for koni yellows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zero said:

One vote for koni yellows.

+1

• Like 1

They're top of the list for me at the moment because of their popularity with the people who don't talk about stance and cars going hard 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dirtydoogle said:

They're top of the list for me at the moment because of their popularity with the people who don't talk about stance and cars going hard 

+1 Mine are still going at 100k plus

• Like 1

On 7/6/2017 at 9:38 PM, dirtydoogle said:

The same applies to brake pads, generally I run genuine pads, but this will do a few track days so perhaps something a bit more performance orientated would be good

Track day pads always surprise me on the road when they don't stop first thing in the morning. I went back to oem pads for trackdays after I discovered that not braking hard means you go faster. i went through a stage of ABS into every corner. It's not quicker and the pads almost catch fire...

• Like 1

You're not wrong! I have never had an issue with OEM pads yet. I'll ost likely have to do an upgrade once the blower is on, but tuning the driver is the important first step :) 

i had a weak moment and accidentally purchased some used XYZs for a reasonable price, so watch this space. I'll write up my thoughts on them 

I installed the XYZ stuff the other day at as near to standard height as I could manage in the limited time I had. I need to check the front preload as I got a little ahead of myself. 

Managed to knock over a big pry bar as I was getting ready to install and broke a finger, which made the job a little annoying and took longer than anticipated. 

I am very happy thus far with the results, car is a bit stiffer but has far nicer bump control. Less rotation under trail braking and more traction 
Will get it in for a proper alignment ASAP 
To begin with will run the factory alignment settings with a small camber increase in the front, I feel this will be a good base line. I have noted down all the corner heights and damper settings 
Have a very small preload on the rear to reduce risk of the spring perch walking around, Will look in to fixing this to the arm as I do not care so much for the current set up
Will not be lowering it without doing roll center calculations, I do not imagine this is something BMW did wrong. 

Have an autocross to attend in the coupe in a few weeks, so I need to do engine/gearbox oils 
Power steering flush, it's a wee bit noisy and the fluid is absolutely rooted 
New pads and a bleed, the new suspension has only further highlighted the lack of braking performance 
Throw the semis on 

Didn't get time after work today to do anything but wash the two beasts  and snap some pictures on my potato phone 

20170729_173145.jpg

20170729_173249.jpg

• Like 1

Well I still haven't used the 328 much, but I did an oil change tonight after work
I'll be sending an oil sample away. There is a reasonably significant amount of metalic mist and some lovely glitter also 
Will open the filter up and run a clean magnet over it 

Unfortunately by the time you see this much glitter it's usually a rapid count down to the end of an engine so I will be parking it up and deciding what to do from there

The good news I suppose is I can start a thread on my new track hack, a 325 sedan, auto lowered on a nice set of BBS rc. Stripped out, will be getting a cage later this year or early next year. I got a complete manual conversion for it on Friday too 
Thus far owes me $940 incl manual conversion 

I'll put the XYZs in it, they're too firm for a sunday driver, very impressive performance but not what I want in my road toy 
I'll put the blower on it also, really can't bring myself to molest the 328i

Edited by dirtydoogle

Thankfully my oil fiasco turned out to be a contaminated container because my cool people in my workshop can't clean then 
Sadly though I may have to sell this lovely ol girl, buying my X5, wanting to buy a house and building a race car mean I have to sell a bunch of stuffs