Sign in to follow this  
TermiPeteNZ

Don't see these come up often!! M5 E61 TOURING 2007 - Akld

Great car, but it's not worth $48k! It would have to be half those ks to get anywhere near it in my mind. Then it would need to be in a better colour for me ;) 

Agree about the pics, pretty meh. Even looks a bit dirty in one of the pics lol

I think they're banking on rarity - which is does indeed have. You'd think people would put a little more effort into their photography :)

• Like 2

Agree they will be looking for that. Personally I'd buy an M5 sedan then likely still get a 550i wagon as well for near about the same money ? Lol

And you are close to equivalent RS6 money I suppose ......

1 minute ago, Breaker said:

Agree they will be looking for that. Personally I'd buy an M5 sedan then likely still get a 550i wagon as well for near about the same money ? Lol

+1 on that plan!!!!

• Like 1

These are sooo awesome, a fair bit more desirable than the fairly common sedan versions. 

Andrew here has that beautiful blue one.

I think pricing is pretty relative, certainly not going to get one any cheaper than that. 

1 hour ago, Michael. said:

These are sooo awesome, a fair bit more desirable than the fairly common sedan versions. 

Andrew here has that beautiful blue one.

I think pricing is pretty relative, certainly not going to get one any cheaper than that. 

I prefer the aesthetic of the E60 sedan, but yes Andrew's is a beaut. In general BMWs look great in a bold blue.

This is the same money I paid for mine 2 years ago, but this one has the soft close doors. I have to close my doors myself like some kind of peasant!!! ;)

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Breaker said:

Great car, but it's not worth $48k! It would have to be half those ks to get anywhere near it in my mind.

It's 10 years old... That's barely 10k a year. Average in the UK is estimated to be 12000 miles a year - nearly 19000km. And the UK has something which can be described as a public transport system. ;)
That said, I have no idea what one of these is worth.

2 hours ago, aja540i said:

This is the same money I paid for mine 2 years ago, but this one has the soft close doors. I have to close my doors myself like some kind of peasant!!! ;)

Tough life, eh? ;)

Personally, I think we're at a tipping point with these types of vehicles. People like us on this forum are interested in them but a lot of people are starting to warm up to the idea that their next car may be electric or a smaller engined performance model. 

A lot of the E60/61 M5s seem to be sitting around waiting for a buyer, likewise with big V8 SUVs. 

13 hours ago, TermiPeteNZ said:

You'd think people would put a little more effort into their photography :)

(Slightly off-topic) Man do I have an opportunity for you!  Advance directly to go with your own 70-200 2.8 VR lens.  Mine's looking for a new home ?.  $1450

back in topic - it'd be awesome.  Though my wife has asked how often I'm filling up the e60... an M5 would blow her mind ?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Olaf said:

(Slightly off-topic) Man do I have an opportunity for you!  Advance directly to go with your own 70-200 2.8 VR lens.  Mine's looking for a new home ?.  $1450

back in topic - it'd be awesome.  Though my wife has asked how often I'm filling up the e60... an M5 would blow her mind ?

Hmm. I'm still way too noob to warrant that investment! :)

Yes - best not talked about.

37 minutes ago, NZ BMW said:

Personally, I think we're at a tipping point with these types of vehicles. People like us on this forum are interested in them but a lot of people are starting to warm up to the idea that their next car may be electric or a smaller engined performance model. 

A lot of the E60/61 M5s seem to be sitting around waiting for a buyer, likewise with big V8 SUVs. 

Agreed. They're very much a niche vehicle.

13 hours ago, NZ BMW said:

a lot of people are starting to warm up to the idea that their next car may be electric or a smaller engined performance model. 

This may be true, but those buyers were never looking at M cars, V10s, V8s or anything interesting in the first place.

Most of them already drive Toyota's and their idea of going green is by selling their Camry V6 for a Prius. Only to end up having a sadder, reduced quality of life to save pocket change at the pump. 

• Like 3

yep.  I understand why people buy a Prius; though enjoying driving is not one of those reasons.  The nearest one gets - behind the wheel of a Prius - is operating a vehicle.

I will concede they're a better drive than a Honda City, though! B) 

• Like 1

Prius' sound like they're genuinely terrified of you when actually driven. Nothing quite like an asthmatic engine sitting at a constantly high RPM going nowhere fast.

On the other hand I would love to own this.

A bit of the topic and asking  are these electric cars as green as they make out. Reading an article on  the making, maintenance and final disposal of them it seemed darn close. Their are a number of dangerous chemicals and process used to make not only the car panels  battery packs etc. This also comes into play when the vehicle reach's the end of it's life and needs to be disposed of and in a safe manner. So looking at the total picture of how both types source their materials for assemble, their maintenance of ie life expectancy and final disposal are they any less harmful to planet earth as a petrol driven car. Or is it just another well angled proper gander campaign using the all green slogan  to help it gain traction and sales?.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, allan said:

A bit of the topic and asking  are these electric cars as green as they make out. Reading an article on  the making, maintenance and final disposal of them it seemed darn close. Their are a number of dangerous chemicals and process used to make not only the car panels  battery packs etc. This also comes into play when the vehicle reach's the end of it's life and needs to be disposed of and in a safe manner. So looking at the total picture of how both types source their materials for assemble, their maintenance of ie life expectancy and final disposal are they any less harmful to planet earth as a petrol driven car. Or is it just another well angled proper gander campaign using the all green slogan  to help it gain traction and sales?.

This seems like a specious argument. Even if car to car they end up even in terms of final disposal, effects on environment of production, etc... Specially in NZ, where the majority of our electricity comes from renewable energy anyway, the environmental impact of electric versus combustion engine doesn't compare. 

yes the efficiency of electric is many times that of any IC engine.With PROPER disposal we should be fine.At the moment there is no other alternative....as for the E61 yes yes and yes

16 hours ago, Michael. said:

This may be true, but those buyers were never looking at M cars, V10s, V8s or anything interesting in the first place.

You say that... but *I* heard that an E61 M5 Touring owner/forum member has been test drving LEAFs... but I won't say who :lol:

I confess its me! Fact is I love my E61 M5, but if i drive it to work every day it costs me $130 / week, if I do the same driving in a Leaf it costs me $7/week, and it means I will appreciate the drives I do use the M5 for so much more!

• Like 3

We're trading in our toyota for a leaf. The majority of our driving is <10 minutes total drive time. It's unreasonable wear and tear on the e39 to me.

• Like 1

Was reading part of a report from Sweden today that stated a petrol car produces the same CO2 in 2.7 years as one Nissan Leaf battery. Clearly there are some assumptions here, but it is clear any environmental payback requires you to own the vehicle for some time.

What's a Leaf worth anyhow? Seems like an odd way to save money!

8 minutes ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

Was reading part of a report from Sweden today that stated a petrol car produces the same CO2 in 2.7 years as one Nissan Leaf battery. Clearly there are some assumptions here, but it is clear any environmental payback requires you to own the vehicle for some time.

What's a Leaf worth anyhow? Seems like an odd way to save money!

Batteries seem to be lasting at least 6 years going by first gen leafs still having their original batteries. You also don't need to replace the whole battery when a cell fails, so as a whole, a battery can last a long time in theory, in practice we'll only know in 5-10-15-20 more years. In any case, the numbers seem to be well beyond 3 years, so that's made up for.

Cost-wise, you get a 1st gen leave for ~$10-15k.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/CategoryAttributeSearchResults.aspx?keyval=7980585&from=fav&shipping=all&sort_order=expiry_desc

The maths work out that you end up paying roughly 1/3 in electricity as you spend on petrol. For us, we spend ~$3k/year between the two cars. I only drive the e39 when going further than a 20 minute drive, which is what we'll continue to do. We spend the bulk of our petrol ($2400ish/year) costs on the toyota, which is driven daily for about 20 minutes total, and once a week for 40ish minutes total. That's the car we'll replace with a leaf. It's not at all an odd way to save money...