Sign in to follow this  
TermiPeteNZ

Don't see these come up often!! M5 E61 TOURING 2007 - Akld

environmental payback takes time, but for an i/c engine car there is no environmental (or financial) payback, so still worth doing for some people. I still wouldn't have one as my only car, but a Leaf and an M5 seems like a good compromise to me! :)

• Like 1

Just now, aja540i said:

environmental payback takes time, but for an i/c engine car there is no environmental (or financial) payback, so still worth doing for some people. I still wouldn't have one as my only car, but a Leaf and an M5 seems like a good compromise to me! :)

That's the math that I worked out, albeit with a lowly 530i. :) 

So Gabriel- you are looking at 6.25 years before the Leaf makes financial sense, in terms of money saved on petrol vs 10K for the Leaf( 10K car vs . $1600 p.a saving on fuel) You might have to buy a battery (or cells) before then, which will push any payoff even further out- car will be about 6 years old at time of purchase. Am I missing something?

The 2.7 years relates only to the battery pack- does not include the environmental impact of building yet another car to use the battery with.

My theory is that if we all keep driving our old(ish) BMWs, it does more good for the planet than buying a tree full of Leafs. Even if the Leaf is faster off the lights.....

Just now, Young Thrash Driver said:

So Gabriel- you are looking at 6.25 years before the Leaf makes financial sense, in terms of money saved on petrol vs 10K for the Leaf( 10K car vs . $1600 p.a saving on fuel) You might have to buy a battery (or cells) before then, which will push any payoff even further out- car will be about 6 years old at time of purchase. Am I missing something?

The 2.7 years relates only to the battery pack- does not include the environmental impact of building yet another car to use the battery with.

My theory is that if we all keep driving our old(ish) BMWs, it does more good for the planet than buying a tree full of Leafs. Even if the Leaf is faster off the lights.....

6.25 years till the leaf pays for itself, based on the petrol savings alone. There is no such payoff from a car running on petrol. There is no comparison. :)

The drawbacks of electric cars relate to logistics, more so than any cost associated with running them. Namely, charging stations aren't numerous (yet) and range is an issue. Neither of these are a problem for me, personally. We work from home and my driving is largely to/from kindy/school/local errands on a daily basis.

Our old beemers are not good for the planet.

Also, in my use case, my driving patterns are bad for my beemer!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

Good on you if you can stick it out longer than 6 years.

As someone who lives out of town, range is important. Also, I have never owned a car that long.....

I just think that someone needs to stand up for coal, oil and gas. 

It might as well be me, a mediocre white man. I'll fit right in with the rest of the dinosaurs. 

Edited by NZ BMW
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

Good on you if you can stick it out longer than 6 years.

As someone who lives out of town, range is important. Also, I have never owned a car that long.....

I spend ~$2400 in petrol per year on the toyota now. With a Leaf, I expect to spend ~$800/year on electricity (additional to what we spend now.)

Whilst it may pay for itself in 6+ years, in, say, 3 years, I've recouped a significant portion of the cost of the car. With a petrol-powered car, you have no recoup. All you have is the depreciation.

Edited by Gabe79

17 hours ago, allan said:

A bit of the topic and asking  are these electric cars as green as they make out. Reading an article on  the making, maintenance and final disposal of them it seemed darn close. Their are a number of dangerous chemicals and process used to make not only the car panels  battery packs etc. This also comes into play when the vehicle reach's the end of it's life and needs to be disposed of and in a safe manner. So looking at the total picture of how both types source their materials for assemble, their maintenance of ie life expectancy and final disposal are they any less harmful to planet earth as a petrol driven car. Or is it just another well angled proper gander campaign using the all green slogan  to help it gain traction and sales?.

Funny you should say. I'm a fleet mechanic and we're hauling lithium in the Australian North West. 20,000 tonne per day using road trains 174-197 tonne depending on configuration. Payload of 120-140 tonne. Sucking an average of 100l/100km. On a hard pull these are using 500l/100km (or one litre every 200 metres). Then approx 250,000 tonnes loaded onto a ship destined for China burning the dirtiest fuel possible.

IMG_3252.thumb.JPG.f567cb4e37bb08f2e6cbf6cba55fe025.JPG

Then there's the machinery and manpower used to dig it up and process it. And the fact these workers are on either an eight day on/six day off, or two week on/one off roster flying to Perth. A lot will then carry on fifo to the eastern states, SE Asia or NZ like myself. Far from an environmentally friendly process. So I have to laugh when some vocal holier than thou greenie who likes to take the social moral high ground says we need to ditch our older cars for more environmentally friendly ones. In reality it's no laughing matter because if these clowns get their own way expect to see hybrids and EVs heavily subsidised while older cars are taxed off the road. 

Gabe79 - would you not be better off buying a 10-15 year old Civic/Corolla/323 for around $3000. Some of if not the most reliable cars on the road, basic, will return around 8l/100km around town and have done all their depreciating, so will still be worth the same value in a few years time when you want to sell. 

As for the M5 Touring. Beautiful car, but a bit pointless? I use my wagon for tools, car parts, house renovations, property landscaping, carrying the dog. What a wagon is made for... I'd be scared of someone sitting in the back seat of this thing let alone any of that. Still, I like the towbar, and be tempted to hook up two tonne and blow away the floggers who think they're untouchable in their overpriced over rated double cab utes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

All of these conditions also apply to petrol and diesel, NZ imports 100% of its fuel, and none of it arrives here without any environmental impact. I use my M5 wagon for everything you mentioned except the dog, I dont have one, and winning a traffic light drag race with a trailer load of builders mix on the back does make me smile. :)

• Like 2

The big elephant in the room (for me) is why do they make EV's so UGLY?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hqstu said:

The big elephant in the room (for me) is why do they make EV's so UGLY?

I dunno man. I'd take a model T or X any day. The market here is limited sadly. 

4 hours ago, aja540i said:

and winning a traffic light drag race with a trailer load of builders mix on the back does make me smile. :)

I want this on a YouTube video, with multiple GoPro shots cut together.  Awesome.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, aja540i said:

I use my M5 wagon for everything you mentioned except the dog, I dont have one, and winning a traffic light drag race with a trailer load of builders mix on the back does make me smile. :)

Hahaha!

Or nipping past a 911 when he finally moves over, so you can get past before the passing lane finishes without clipping his front bumper... with your trailer. :lol:

I can confirm its a workhorse. I don't even KNOW how much of MY crap has been hauled in that thing! Most of it will never be able to go that fast again though!

I even saw a table saw in there not too long ago.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2017 at 3:58 AM, coop said:

Then there's the machinery and manpower used to dig it up and process it. And the fact these workers are on either an eight day on/six day off, or two week on/one off roster flying to Perth. A lot will then carry on fifo to the eastern states, SE Asia or NZ like myself. Far from an environmentally friendly process. So I have to laugh when some vocal holier than thou greenie who likes to take the social moral high ground says we need to ditch our older cars for more environmentally friendly ones. In reality it's no laughing matter because if these clowns get their own way expect to see hybrids and EVs heavily subsidised while older cars are taxed off the road. 

How prophetic that was.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1