Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

Micks Garage

My wifes Skoda needs new front pads and rotors. Gazely quoted $750. I looked around for a set which happen to be the same as a Golf Mkv and came across Micks Garage in Ireland. Now I know a few of you have bought parts there before but when I looked at parts for my 335i they didn't have what i wanted. Anyway I found a set of Mintex rotors and pads, price including freight to NZ was $160 NZD. They arrived today 5 days after ordering them. Now Mintex isn't top of the tree but my research showed that they make good mid range products so interested to see how they last and what performance is like. Its a commuter car so no likelihood of press on driving. 

• Like 1

$160 incl freight for a pair of rotors and pads, by Mintex?  That sounds more like the consumable pricing they should wear, than the 'max out you credit cards, "honey we're going on the Kraft Dinner diet again" plan' that you get with parts prices here.

hope they work out well.  Got em on already (to be sure)?

• Like 1

That price can't be right... 20-30% off NZ price I get it, but this is like 75% off.

I hope it works out for you.

22 minutes ago, my_e36 said:

That price can't be right... 20-30% off NZ price I get it, but this is like 75% off.

75% off NZ prices is not actually so crazy in my experience...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, my_e36 said:

It can be right, and is right.  If you take a look at parts prices from reputable motor factors in the UK for vehicles like Ford Mondeos and Vauxhalls, you're paying about 25 quid for an OEM rotor, and 20 quid for a set of pads.  Though this may rise as Brexit approaches.  B)

Can I suggest you've been conditioned to the very high prices we generally pay for anything in NZ (and I'm not bitching about why things cost more here!), and may be overlooking that there's a useful bit of leverage between the NZD and the Sterling &/or Euro, currently.

I've purchased from them before. Pretty good even if finding what you want is a bit tedious

18 hours ago, Olaf said:

Can I suggest you've been conditioned to the very high prices we generally pay for anything in NZ 

Pretty sure you are right on that one. Probably on car part prices there are bit more difference in prices as we are a small market after-all.

Funnily enough, I just purchased some mintex pads and brembo vented rotors for my E30.  $150 incl Gst for both fronts.

I know we're comparing an 80's car to something from the 00's - but pads and rotors are pretty much the same across the board.

So I'd say your new pricing sounds about right!

Edited by curryinahurry