Sign in to follow this  
Worksie

E60 cup holder repaired

Hi all, 

In my recently purchased 530d, the centre cup holder worked once, and on pushing it back in, there was a crunching sound, and the unit would not go all the way in. Looking online (Dr Google and YouTube) it appeared that the E60 cup holder could not be repaired. 

Well, after purchasing a second hand unit, I decided to try and see if I could repair the original. YouTube shows repairs on the E90 cup holder model. The E60 has little plastic welds that needed to be released, trimmed or suchlike, so as to release the cover. I ended up using my 'jewellers screwdriver' set and an ordinary, very small bladed screwdriver. 

In my case the spring had come free as the small plastic rod? that holds the spring, had broken off. Shades of what happens to the 3 series ones.

I used the same principle to fix my one as shown for the 3 series/E90, a small cable tie was used to lock the spring tab in place. Hey presto, it works again!

I will try and get some pictures up to show what I did. Could have saved myself $105.00 had I known this repair was possible. At least I have a spare unit if the original should ever fail terminally!

I need to work out how to put a video on YouTube showing what I did, stating that the E60 cup holder CAN be repaired, rather than coughing out close to $200 for a new one, or $105 for a secondhand one like I did!

Graeme

• Like 3

I'd be very interested in your pictures and video, Graeme.  Well done!

Nice work - I put new one(s?) in the 545i ... pleased the ones in my M5 are OK.