Sign in to follow this  
pandylin

Windscreen replacement

So I've recently had a 10x10 area of a crack in my windscreen due to misfortunate events happening but what is the best place to replace the windscreen in auckland? I'm covered by AA comprehensive insurance 

Used Smith and Smith recently, dude made a mess and BSd me about screws being missing from the cabin Air filter before he got there, when I knew they were there as I installed em...

Id try novus next time.

• Like 1

try the search function, this has been discussed recently and there are recommendations for Auckland-based fitters.  You can also take it to a BMW dealer, not many people think of that.

Do post in the new members thread, Andy.  Welcome to the forum.

I just posted about this.

Smith and Smith seemed to be the worst leading option, Novus not far behind, and you have to go to their workshops! 

I thought about who to go for and went with AA Autoglass

Got a really nice guy from London, Steve it was. He did a good job without any drama. I pre-removed some trims to make it easier for him.

Interestingly he said he first worked for Smith and Smith when he moved here, but left finding it not the best company to work for and also mentioned they use the cheapest Chinese glass, XYG or something - he said it wasn't uncommon to find finger prints inside the glass done at the factory! 

AA autoglass uses FUYAO glass which seems to be a decent OE rated quality compared to other makes. 

• Like 1

Need to get the windscreen changed on the e28. Any recommendations / experiences to share? Non-bonded screen, lots of weather strips and mouldings. Wonder if insurance will replace all of these things too. 

These guys did a really nice job on my old corolla, insurance covered all the rubbers and mouldings. Turned up when they said they would, and had the right parts ready to rock.. also didnt have a 3 week booking period!

http://www.accurateglass.co.nz/

I doubt E28 mouldings etc are as common as a 90s corolla, so you probably want to give whoever use choose a bit of a heads up :D

• Thanks 1

BMW dealership, Insurance covers it. Try maybe source the trims your self tho... Eg wreakers

Nothing beats OEM Glass IMO. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/29/2017 at 11:34 PM, Jacko said:

Used Smith and Smith recently, dude made a mess and BSd me about screws being missing from the cabin Air filter before he got there, when I knew they were there as I installed em...

Id try novus next time.

Novus (Penrose) were equally crappy when I had to deal with them...

20 hours ago, Ace Of Spades said:

BMW dealership, Insurance covers it

Was thinking about it the other day too... I got a windscreen with a connected drive (KAFAS2 so should have heating elements around the camera to prevent fogging) camera behind it, wouldn't want Novus/S&S to touch it.

• Thanks 1

Thanks all, good advice. At the same time I am contemplating getting the roof re-sprayed. Working out the logistics of this at the moment  

Have just organised for Continental Cars BMW (Takapuna) to put a new windscreen in the M5 thanks to AMI insurance and a 400mm long crack across the bottom of the screen!! I will pay for new rubber , trim , and wiper blades to be fitted at the same time.

Cool. Waiting for the glass and trim to arrive. I am getting Ian and Professional Glass to do the work. Had several recommendations for him.