Sign in to follow this  
Olaf

20L Oil Drums - save bucks but add hassle. Easier way?

So yes, I've Scottish Heritage and don't mind saving a bob or two here and there, though won't cheap out when it comes to quality.

THIS THREAD IS NOT TO BE AN OIL DEBATE, OKAY?

I buy Penrite oils, now in 20 litre drums.  This fits with Spike Milligan's "old Scottish proverb Money is flat and meant to be piled up".  :D    You save a decent amount on bulk buy, and when it's on 30% off sale, you're getting full synthetic 5W40 at around $8/litre incl.  As they almost 'gush' around Liverpool, "not bad".

"Okay then Olaf, so how does this work?", you ask.  You buy your drum, lug it home, remove the bottom plug of the drum, tap it, and insert the tap (free from some stores, or up to $11 at others depending on how uncharitable they are), to release the oil.  Trap for new players:  ensure your tap valve is CLOSED before standing the drum up!  :wacko:

Now, there does seem to be a bit of a downside.  Leaks from the tap.  Slowly.  That is, not the valve itself.  It;s where the valve seats into the drum.   I'm nearly through my third drum now, and there's always seepage around the tap, which aside from potentially causing a slip hazard on the workshop floor, is bloody wasteful and flies in the face of buying oil in bulk on sale and feeding 'money is flat and meant to be piled up' theory, to put fuel into tank of V8.

So how the *f%#k(!) do you tap the drums efficiently?   I'm sure there must be a trick.  Tapping the drum cleanly should allow the tap (with it's o-ring) to seat securely, and not leak.  

Your answers and advice welcomed.

i have a dedicated oil container with a good tap. Its one of the white 20ltr containers you see chemical and often drinking water in. It was a chlorine drum from work. 

i simply just poor the new oil in to that, no leaks. 

then i use the empty drum the oil came in for the waste oil. 

easy peesy poos and weesy 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, qube said:

Cant you just use a small pump from the top? 

First thought that came to me, too.

Lie the drum down with the tap at the top when not using it, trick for new players- make sure the lid is on properly first! :)

• Like 1

the tap really needs to be secured from inside and outside to ensure a good seat/seal. not practical but as others have said, a top mount drum pump will probably be better.

savebarn used to have hand cranked gear pumps pretty cheap.

not sure but maybe try a bit of plumbers tape on the tap.Then lie the container on its back.I had a drum of oil nicked from my garage once.Own fault i leave the door open.How anybody actually saw it i dont know,they must have had a snoop around one day 

Turn it on its side, tap up.  The screw lid should have a good rubber seal and won't leak.

I have purchased my oil in 20ltr packs since I got into racing.  If you have the garage space you should def buy it this way.  Just don't let your mates see it.

• Like 2

As per suggestions above or - buy a plastic fluid dispensing jug with a flexible snout & tip the oil into that via the lid.

thanks, folks!  oddly enough I found the same thing - the top lid has a good foam seal.  I have the drums laid on their backs.  

will look into a gear pump.