Sign in to follow this  
LemonHunter

What BMW is right for me

Thinking out loud as I realised after missing out on the E39 Motorsport Wagon that popped up the other day, I can't really pick one BMW to be my all rounder, so maybe the solution is more than one, but assume for a moment that I love the sound and power of the V8, but prefer the nimbleness and chuckability of E30/36's to an E34/39's, a wagon appeals for some semblance of practicality, but the even older  E21/E24 shape really gets my attention...  probably my perfect car got chopped and sold months back (S56 powered E30 Touring), but I'm not at all put off by the newer 335 tourings

Going to have to build somthing myself, aren't I, say for example a V8 E30/36/46 touring... or will that much weight up front mess up everything I like about the handling of the smaller cars?

A 4WD 2-door wagon with about 400hp, returning 15km+ per litre... :)

29 minutes ago, gjm said:

That sounds like an Audi or Subaru 

39 minutes ago, gjm said:

9 minutes ago, EURO V8 said:

That sounds like an Audi or Subaru 

It's not quite as far-fetched as it sounds...

A turbocharged E30 iX wagon could do it. Unfortunately the iX was only ever supplied with the M20B25 engine, but that could be changed in order to get the power and economy (although not at the same time, obviously).

I'm so easily pleased!

5 hours ago, EURO V8 said:

Going to have to build somthing myself, aren't I, say for example a V8 E30/36/46 touring... or will that much weight up front mess up everything I like about the handling of the smaller cars?

Can't beat a conversion, makes it much more unique and special.

Doesn't stuff the handling at all, if you get the engine as far back and low as possible. A lot of people think that, it might be the case if you used a huge 8 litre iron American boat engine.

Most decent V8s are alloy, so lighter than M50 iron engines for instance, or just a fraction heavier (less forward weight too)

I put a 1UZ-FE Toyota engine in my E36, was fantastic.

I've been thinking about doing it again some day but with an E46 chassis, and using a 3UZ, 1UZs are too dated. 

Who am I kidding, fuel tank in the boot, no back seat, debatable wiring ability... id spend so much time and money getting it looking how I want, I'd rather start from scratch or be patient.

8 minutes ago, allan said:

be patient.

I like being A patient more... last time they gave me Vicodin :wub:

• Like 1