Sign in to follow this  
SRacin

Lemans e53 4.8is x5 in Akl

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1365354043.htm

Pretty tempted by this, but it has been through a bunch of owners recently, with latest owner only having for a few months.  I think it was $1 reserved earlier in the year.    The filter on the photos looks turned up to maximum.

Anyone know history on this one?

Thoughts on these after 170k's?

614264439.jpg

• Like 1

Vehicle Identification Number

WBAFA92050LE56776

Type FA92
Model X5 4.8is - EUR
Development Code E53
Chassis GEFZG
Steering RL
Doors 5
Engine N62/S
Displacement 4.80
Power 265
Drivetrain ALLR
Transmission AUT
Color Le-mans-blau Metallic - 381
Upholstery Exclusivleder Walknappa/schwarz - V9SW
Production Plant SPARTANBURG
Production Date 2004-10-07

Standard Equipment

2KD Light Alloy Wheels V Spoke 168 Lm Raeder V-speiche 168
221 2-axle Self-leveling Suspension 2 Achs Niveauregulierung
226 Sports Suspension Settings Sportliche Fahrwerksabstimmung
249 Multi-function For Steering Wheel Multifunktion Fuer Lenkrad
255 Sports Leather Steering Wheel Sport-lederlenkrad
261 Side Airbag For Rear Passengers Seitenairbag Fuer Fondpassagiere
302 Alarm System Alarmanlage
321 Exterior Parts In Body Color Exterieurumfaenge In Wagenfarbe
413 Luggage Compartment Net Gepaeckraumtrennetz
423 Floor Mats, Velour Fussmatten In Velours
442 Cupholder Getraenkehalter
459 Seat Adjustm., Electr. W. Memory Sitzverstellung, Elektr.mit Memory
471 Interior Line Graphite Metallic Interieur Line Graphit Metallic
481 Sport Seats F Driver/front Passenger Sportsitze Fuer Fahrer/beifahrer
488 Lumbar Support Driver/front Passenger Lordosenstuetze Fahrer/beifahrer
494 Seat Heating F Driver/front Passenger Sitzheizung Fuer Fahrer/beifahrer
502 Headlight Washer System Scheinwerfer-waschanlage
521 Rain Sensor Regensensor
522 Xenon Light Xenon-licht
534 Automatic Air Conditioning Klimaautomatik
775 Individual Roof-lining Anthracite Individual Dachhimmel Anthrazit
785 White Direction Indicator Lights Weisse Blinkleuchten
840 High Speed Synchronisation Hochgeschwindigkeitsabstimmung
853 Language Version English Sprachversion Englisch

Options

205 Automatic Transmission Automatic Getriebe
328 Aluminium Running Board Sill Aluminium-trittbrett
354 Green Stripe Windscreen Gruenkeil-frontscheibe
386 Roof Rail Dachreling
402 Panorama Glass Roof Panorama Glasdach
430 Interior And Exterior Mirror Packa Iinnen- Und Aussenspiegelpaket
441 Smokers Package Raucherpaket
464 Skibag Skisack
508 Park Distance Control (pdc) Park Distance Control (pdc)
548 Speedometer With Kilometer Reading Kilometertacho
601 Tv Function Tv-funktion
609 Navigation System Professional Navigationssystem Professional
638 Car Telephone Professional Autotelefon Professional
672 Cd Changer Bmw For 6 Cds Cd Wechsler 6-fach
676 Hifi Loudspeaker System Hifi Lautsprechersystem
810 Australia Version Australien-ausfuehrung
818 Main Battery Switch Batteriehauptschalter
825 Radio Control Oceania Radio-steuerung Ozeanien
861 Change Of Coding Data Set Aenderung Codierdatensatz
864 Overseas/dealer Directory Service Kontakt-flyer Uebersee
880 English / On-board Documentation Englisch / Bordliteratur
925 Shipping Protection Package Versandschutzpaket
984 Coding Service Interval Kodierung Wartungsintervall
  • Like 2

Hey Logan - yep saw this one pop up and agree the HDR is happening!! But I do love the E53s in Blue. @treone bought a beaut one recently.

I've got the M62 4.4i E53 with 222Kms on it. There's a good discussion on X5s here: http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/58166-2001-2004-x5-opinions-wanted/

But that isn't quite so relevant to the 4.8is with the N62 in it.

• Ask yourself 'if I have to drop $5K on sorting it during the first year, is it still a good buy'?
  • Try to get service history - if lots of crap has been sorted already then you can buy with increased confidence. This is where I lost out ....
  • Put a MBI on it to manage risk
  • as Brent from BM World says "late v8's have the N62 engine, they have a lot more issues but use less fuel" - also have a lot more power! :)

Let us know how you get on!!!

• Like 1

Err, Gentlemen.  I should like to take this opportunity to suggest - in the most politest terms - that HDR is not a 'happening thing'.  The only exception being when you can't tell it's HDR.  The acid test is that if it looks like Trump (over-orange, over yellow, over-green, over-blue... perhaps there's a tie sellotaped to the front like a kindergarten collage, or hipster mixed-media artwork), there's no subtlety, the image is broken and searing your eyeballs.  'Bit like Trump, really.

Now, back to the car.  It's a good looking wagon.  Even with an acid-trip Instagram filter!  @TermiPeteNZ and @treone have amongst the freshest experience in owning/operating similar wagons here.  The thread quoted above is a good one.

Friends will let friends buy X5's, but friends should not encourage friends to image stack whacky HDR output.  

Edited by Olaf
neckwear. with a ballsed-up full windsor, natch.
  • Like 2

Hey Thanks for the pro tips guys.  @Olaf wins quote of the day "Friends will let friends buy X5's, but friends should not encourage friends to image stack whacky HDR output.  "  

Having had a dig through the feedback and the other thread and based on the k's and the hdr which looks like they are trying to hide something it does make me a little nervous buying it site unseen with out a PPI.  If the auction didn't close tomorrow I would get him to take it to hellbm for a PPI.  

Unless anyone else happens to be in browns bay area and could check it out for me?

Not to worried about reasonable service costs, or fuel costs.  I would by it cause i want to not need it :)  And it would look good beside my techno-violet 540iS.

ahh decisions decisions....

Thanks 

Logan

Agree with @Olaf and @TermiPeteNZ regarding buying advice. Mine is an 2001 E53 4.4l ex japan. Bought it with 198kms on it and had it 3 months now. Weather you go for this one or some other one do your due diligence, get  a PPI and if there are any issues get the seller to sort them and get an MBI. This may save you from the MBI insurer not covering an issue because they have assessed it as pre-existing. Speaking from a recent experience with my X5 here.

With the 'issues' that mine had/has I still think its awesome! I got mine for a reasonable price so I expected faults and I'm not too fussed  - I'm just going to drive it and enjoy it!

Kept an eye on this one too and I reckon a 4.8 X5 would be great fun!

Did I mention that I think X5's are awesome? :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SRacin said:

Having had a dig through the feedback and the other thread and based on the k's and the hdr which looks like they are trying to hide something it does make me a little nervous buying it site unseen with out a PPI.  If the auction didn't close tomorrow I would get him to take it to hellbm for a PPI.  

Unless anyone else happens to be in browns bay area and could check it out for me?

I'll be in Torbay tomorrow, and a jaunt into Browns Bay would be easy. That said, I wouldn't buy it without a PPI. I live very near HellBM, if you can work out a schedule with Ray, I could bring it there. Else, Bellars is very close to Brown's Bay and the owner might be willing to take it in for you. All this said, usually time slots for PPIs are at a premium, so you aren't getting one on short notice at any of the BMW garages...

• Like 2

@Gabe79  Thanks! I have emailed the seller to see if its going to be possible, will let you know but as you say its extremely unlikely.  Appreciated every ones honest opinions re PPI and MBI.  My understanding re MBI from reading the threads is its difficult to get when you don't by from a dealer, but I see AA offer it.  Maybe best to start another thread about MBI (or search for an exisiting one.

Yes I also think X5's are awesome :) hence why I am prepared to part with my hard earned cash for one.  Missus thinks I should get a Tourareg, but I just cant stoop to it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SRacin said:

Hey Thanks for the pro tips guys.  @Olaf wins quote of the day "Friends will let friends buy X5's, but friends should not encourage friends to image stack whacky HDR output.  "  

HI Logan, I'm speaking only as a keen photographer who has a mild dislike of HDR; I'm not suggesting the use of HDR for the sale picture is a vendor trying to hide or misrepresent anything.  They might qualify for a 'dubious artistic selection' merit badge; nothing more.  :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gabe79 said:

I'll be in Torbay tomorrow, and a jaunt into Browns Bay would be easy. That said, I wouldn't buy it without a PPI. I live very near HellBM, if you can work out a schedule with Ray, I could bring it there. 

Awesome, Gabe.   Outstanding example of the helpfulness in this online community.  good on yer, mate.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SRacin said:

@Gabe79  Thanks! I have emailed the seller to see if its going to be possible, will let you know but as you say its extremely unlikely.  Appreciated every ones honest opinions re PPI and MBI.  My understanding re MBI from reading the threads is its difficult to get when you don't by from a dealer, but I see AA offer it.  Maybe best to start another thread about MBI (or search for an exisiting one.

Yes I also think X5's are awesome :) hence why I am prepared to part with my hard earned cash for one.  Missus thinks I should get a Tourareg, but I just cant stoop to it.

Re MBI I suggest you contact MTF Mt Victoria to see if they can assist. I've found them great to deal with.

If you want to off road then a Touareg makes good sense. My mate has 4.2 V8 Toureg and it is a nice vehicle - quality interior, great sounding V8 - but uses almost as much juice as my M5 :D

Props to @Gabe79 for helping out!

A bit of a tangent but while looking for threads on e46 PDC faults came across this info on the e53 and as their is some interest in this model thought it might be of some use http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676801

About the fifth post down enjoy.

hey thanks everyone in this topic!  I was bidding but wifi or something went bad.  Pressed bid and then it was closing......and then missed out :( should have autobid... Sold $10400....  Hope new owner enjoys.  You guys all rock!

I was about to post asking if you'd won it. 

10.4 is quite steep for sight unseen. Keep an eye out for another, here for preference. ?

39 minutes ago, SRacin said:

hey thanks everyone in this topic!  I was bidding but wifi or something went bad.  Pressed bid and then it was closing......and then missed out :( should have autobid... Sold $10400....  Hope new owner enjoys.  You guys all rock!

Phooey .... just hang fire for another! Generally better if it isn't an auction - I think those are a PITA from a purchaser's perspective.

Dunno - still looks blimmin nice to me! But totally needs a PPI!

1 hour ago, Gabe79 said:

Same seller relisted? 

according to the photo tags, no.  though it's now 'selling on behalf'.  Looks like the last auction winner didn't complete.

It certainly looks tidy.  PPI in Auckland through a solid independent would be the go.

I really do like mine but this is cooler.

1. Blue - check.
  2. 55KW more - check. 
  3. Newer with less kms - check
  4. Heated seats with higher grade leather - check
  5. Pano roof - check
  6. running boards - check

Hmmm. Must ignore it.

• Like 2

On ‎24‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 11:19 PM, TermiPeteNZ said:

I really do like mine but this is cooler.

1. PPI Done - check.
  2. Passes PPI - check. 
  3. Final sale price negotiated - check
  4. MBI bought - check
  5. Pick up arranged - check
  6. Le Mans Blue X5 sitting in the driveway keeping the M5 company  - check
  7. Sold first X5 - check!

Hmmm. Must buy it.

There you go @TermiPeteNZ I've updated your post for you! :rolleyes:

Edited by treone
  • Like 2

I do like the colour combo of this one myself.

• Like 1

FYI.  The dodgy gearbox one sold for $7500.  I passed on that but found a sweet lower k's one in black on black.

• Like 1