Sign in to follow this  
Matth5

N55 turbo upgrade options - local?

I know there are some aftermarket turbo options from the states.

But what about locally? A quick google shows we have some companies that do turbo rebuilds here. Would any be able/willing to upgrade an N55 turbo, making say a Pure Stage 1/2 equivalent at a reasonable price? 

Maybe some N54 owners have done something similar. Anyone know about this?

Reason I'm asking is my car is currently getting it's head pulled off at the workshop and I expect it will be in this state for a while. Making the turbo easily accessible for now. So it would be the perfect time to do this. 

Steve Murch at MSE may be able to help. He may raise his eyebrows at the phrase 'Stage 1' as that doesn't really say what you're after. ;)

@crunchy has a few opinions on that Steve Murch guy, you might want to contact him first, word on the street is he builds better turbos anyway.

Tongue in cheek, i think I'm funny but I might not be, big + 1 to contacting Steve Murch or @crunchy, His work is indisputably world class, and one could spend some time debating whether it is also word leading (which I for one think it is).

Edited by EURO V8
  • Like 1

Thanks guys. I've sent a PM to Crunchy and I'll see what he says.

What's the best way to contact Steve Murch? 

Edit: Crunchy says it'll be a month before he'll be able to do this. My car isn't likely to be down that long I think. I'll ask Steve. 

Edited by Matth5

Charlie has muddied the waters a little. :)

Crunchy is Steve. He's a very busy chap as you've found.

I'd suggest it is worth the wait. Buy in haste, repent at leisure has never been so true as when looking at forced induction options.

Wish I saw your reply before I messaged Steve, LOL. Awkward :P

Coolant loss that never happens while it's being pressure tested. When driven hard it sprays some out the cap, evidenced by white stains that re-appear every time I clean them away. Cap, water pump, thermostat all replaced in the past year and made no difference so it seems we've gone through all other possibilities.

It's a pretty slow loss that hasn't gotten worse, just needs a glass of water every few months, would have left it if not for the aftermarket warranty :) So thankfully it's not demolishing my bank account too badly.

1 hour ago, Matth5 said:

Coolant loss that never happens while it's being pressure tested. When driven hard it sprays some out the cap, evidenced by white stains that re-appear every time I clean them away. Cap, water pump, thermostat all replaced in the past year and made no difference so it seems we've gone through all other possibilities.

It's a pretty slow loss that hasn't gotten worse, just needs a glass of water every few months, would have left it if not for the aftermarket warranty :) So thankfully it's not demolishing my bank account too badly.

Oh wow..good thing you picked up on it. Did it ever overheat?

Nope, not in my ownership at least, I've even logged temps when thrashing it and it's been fine. I'm obsessive with my cars so I tend to pick up issues before the workshops do haha :)

Perhaps it did with a previous owner and that's what caused it. I've seen a few cases online of N55s where one of the head bolts isn't tightened at the factory, might be that. Will find out this week probably, they started removing the head today. 

Hmm if I can't get anyone local to work on the turbo soon(ish) I'll probably leave this. The overseas options will probably not arrive in time, and there is a core charge that requires me to ship my turbo back which will add to the cost. Was thinking a rebuild done in NZ might give me more value for money. 

If I do buy one from overseas it would probably be Pure Stage 1 as price is ok but I imagine with shipping, taxes, shipping them the stock turbo (you need to send the old one to them or it costs $1000USD extra), it'll add up and probably isn't worth it for me. 

Edited by Matth5

Just bad timing would loved to have helped just my work load and developing my own NZ made turbo is consuming any spare time, im even paying people to finish my own toys as i dont have time.

I can assure you no one can bet my pricing even when i use OEM components. 

• Like 2

Understandable. Maybe your pricing is too good, an increase might bring down your workload :D

I'm pretty close to ordering a Pure Stage 1. Seems they ship for free so it's just the customs tax that'll hit me, and I'll need to ship back my old turbo to get the $1000 deposit back. 
I should probably make sure the deposit isn't on the shipping invoice or customs will incorrectly include that in the tax calculation. 

Then I need downpipes... and an LSD... and bigger brakes... oh god I'm going down that road...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Matth5 said:

Understandable. Maybe your pricing is too good, an increase might bring down your workload

:o

5 hours ago, Matth5 said:

Understandable. Maybe your pricing is too good, an increase might bring down your workload :D

I'm pretty close to ordering a Pure Stage 1. Seems they ship for free so it's just the customs tax that'll hit me, and I'll need to ship back my old turbo to get the $1000 deposit back. 
I should probably make sure the deposit isn't on the shipping invoice or customs will incorrectly include that in the tax calculation. 

Then I need downpipes... and an LSD... and bigger brakes... oh god I'm going down that road...

I still  make good coin regardless just like to look after the locals, just as much of my work goes off shore guess its a b****h when your popular.

Hope whatever they sell they stand behind :)

• Like 1

Their reputation seems very good. The concern is how quickly they can deliver :/

There's Vargas Turbo as well, website says in stock. But more expensive and some people have had bad experiences, but no need to ship back the stock turbo so I'd possibly earn back the difference by selling mine.

If this doesn't work out, then maybe later I'll look to get my hands on a used N55 turbo and leave it with you to upgrade, with no time constraints. Would be pretty cool to have something built here :)

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top
quote prev post

Food for thought, there's not exactly thousands of these cars being wrecked so if they offer you units based on no exchange there's a high chance your buying cheap chang crap. 

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top
quote prev post.

Pure say a Stage 1 will take 3-4 weeks :(

Stage 2 can arrive in 1 week, but I don't want to spend that much. 

BTW Vargas state that for the no-exchange option, they use a "brand new N55 turbo, custom cast and manufactured for VTT".

" Brand new N55 turbo, custom cast" ?

Some where OEM was left out, and what's OEM custom cast?

Want to have some fun , ring up BMW see what the price for new OEM turbos and add that into the cost of upgrading them total of 999us ? Okie dokie lol

Go for it 

Edited by crunchy

New turbo for our 320d (from BMW) would be well over NZ$2k, plus $200+ for the installation kit.

Yep and they are supplying you a NEW turbo thats been upgraded for 999us, no exchange....ching chang Ebay special 

Which backs up your comments about the bad reputation some have given them.

Get what ya pay for, 

I would be seriously concerned that the China Specials are clones, that look the same, you ship them your OEM one and they could return a Modified China Special that looks like it...

• Like 1

For the pricing they quote totally agree, all that is shinny isn't gold.

The new turbo for our 320d came from TurboDynamics in the UK. They charge around £750 for a complete turbo overhaul - that'll be NZ$1400, give or take.

I've no axe to grind re the 'Pure' product - don't know it, hadn't heard of it - but the price is starting to look a little to good to be true. The price on the link @HaNs posted seems to be the going rate. (Until @crunchy has time to sort something!)